Kind of a mini rant

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FancyFree

Reaction score
I'll be graduating from college in a few months and I'm so scared that I won't get a job or if I do they'll fire me. I just really suck at it. I have difficulty talking to people and 99% of this job is doing that. It's like I'm mute, especially around males. The whole entire time I'm there I feel anxious. I was going to drop out last year but I chose to stay cause I didn't want to be looked at as a failure or stupid. I can't drop out now there's one more semester but I'm already dreading it. I can't sleep, if I do sleep I don't want to leave the house. I tell people how anxious this makes me but they tell me to get over it. I can't!

I'm not sure what to do with my life. Is that bad? I think I jumped into going to college too quick because I believed that was expected of me, and now I regret it. Going to school and being around others who are doing really well is depressing ( not saying I'm depressed). I'm starting to hate going there.

I don't even know if this made sense but I just needed to say something. Thanks for reading.

I'm sure a a lot of people have the same concerns at college but manage to disguise them with a bit less difficulty...as for the anxiety issues maybe some kind of enforced conversation scenario( sorry you will have to excuse me I am fairly deranged)
It may be well worth your while looking at what might be helpful to you...courses covering confidence building. Intro to public speaking could be really helpful😚

I don't know which subject/s you are taking, but would they fit you for any careers which don't require great social skills?

I graduated college last year, and the thing that really hit me was the whole "Oh crap, I have to adult now."

Getting a job after college is scary, and the decision of what you are going to do is stressful. But, jobs are temporary. If you end not liking it, try something else.

What subject did you study? There must be something you can do that has less personal contact with customers. I'm pretty shy and awful, but I fake it til I make it and act confident, even though I'm not.

if by any chance are into programming, you can get ahead without talking directly to anyone for years :D

honestly, there are several careers where you don't need to have a lot of social contact with people

FancyFree said:
I tell people how anxious this makes me but they tell me to get over it. I can't!

Your anxiety is real. People who say "get over it" don't have the patience to help. They just want you to stop complaining because they can't empathize, but it's rude, in my opinion. Don't listen to them.

Yes, it's scary going on job interviews, for some people more than others, certainly. I would suggest that you find a friend, either in real life or online on Skype, who can act as your interviewer, and get yourself familiar with the process. Practice the whole interview, from the handshake, to sitting down and the initial questions, to your selling points, etc. You just need to feel more comfortable with that process. It will help. Believe me.

Ironically, I was just at an interview about an hour ago, and I've done many interviews in my life, but I still get a tad anxious waiting to be called into the room. It's normal. But I think you could benefit from practicing the interviewing process to lower your anxieties about it.

FancyFree said:
I'm not sure what to do with my life. Is that bad?

No, that's not bad. That's called being in your early 20s and in college.
I was very socially inhibited at the same point in my life and I've had a number of jobs that required talking to people all day. I still have this type of job as a matter of fact. When I first started out, I would even write exactly what I needed to say during phone calls in sort of a script to give me confidence.
In the end I did fine and you will too. Finish school and don't quit!

-Teresa

FancyFree said:
I'm not sure what to do with my life. Is that bad?

If you do not know what to do with your life then let life do what it will to you. That is, live.

Read a Noam Chomsky book then a Naomi Klien one then a George Monbiot one. All will become very clear.

People are suffering. Our planet is dying. Not only are they ignoring climate change but they are pushing through something called TTIP which will give corperations the power to rape the planet of all it's reamin assets, poison the people en mass and chuck out more Co2 and methan then we ever imagined.

If you want something worthwile to do with your life, there is your worthwile.

Help us save civilization and the planet before it is too late (and it may well be already - but we must try).

Latest posts

Back