I miss having a partner to share things with

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SofiasMami

Reaction score
Lately I've been missing having a partner to go through life's hills and valleys with. I've been single since my kiddo was a baby and I'm quite used to it now and sometimes I even enjoy it.
But it's a lot of work single-handedly running a household and it definitely gets lonely sometimes. We all have many little decisions to make on a daily basis; it would be nice to have someone to discuss things with to maybe give a different perspective or tamp down anxiety.
Sometimes I mention things I need to do to co-workers and their response is "Oh, I just have my husband do that". :(

Or maybe it's just the holidays and shorter daylight hours and I'll feel better in the spring...

-Teresa

SofiasMami said:
Lately I've been missing having a partner to go through life's hills and valleys with. I've been single since my kiddo was a baby and I'm quite used to it now and sometimes I even enjoy it.
But it's a lot of work single-handedly running a household and it definitely gets lonely sometimes. We all have many little decisions to make on a daily basis; it would be nice to have someone to discuss things with to maybe give a different perspective or tamp down anxiety.
Sometimes I mention things I need to do to co-workers and their response is "Oh, I just have my husband do that". :(

Or maybe it's just the holidays and shorter daylight hours and I'll feel better in the spring...

-Teresa

(((((Teresa)))))

I know that you will know I speak the truth when I say that I completely understand and sympathize, T. I think life is better with the right person. I hope that you find that person soon. You're a lovely lady (inside and out) and would make a fantastic partner.
Too bad we aren't gay - I'd totally chase you, lol. :D

I can relate. I've been single since I split up from my wife 8 years ago. Most of the time, I'm OK with things the way they are, but then there are certain times of the year and certain activities where I feel very alone. I'd quite like to find someone to do those little things with and someone to bounce ideas off and get a different point of view, but like Eve has alluded to, finding the 'wrong' person can be far worse than finding no one at all.

I don't really know you, but you seem friendly and supportive, and (if that's your photo you're using for an avatar) you're also a very attractive woman, so I'm sure there are plenty of prospective partners out there who would consider themselves lucky to be in a relationship with you.

I hope you find the person you're looking for soon.

Just out of interest, where in Upstate NY were you from originally? My ex-wife was from up that way too.

Cavey said:
I can relate. I've been single since I split up from my wife 8 years ago. Most of the time, I'm OK with things the way they are, but then there are certain times of the year and certain activities where I feel very alone. I'd quite like to find someone to do those little things with and someone to bounce ideas off and get a different point of view, but like Eve has alluded to, finding the 'wrong' person can be far worse than finding no one at all.

I don't really know you, but you seem friendly and supportive, and (if that's your photo you're using for an avatar) you're also a very attractive woman, so I'm sure there are plenty of prospective partners out there who would consider themselves lucky to be in a relationship with you.

I hope you find the person you're looking for soon.

Just out of interest, where in Upstate NY were you from originally? My ex-wife was from up that way too.

Thanks, Cavey. I haven't devoted much time looking for a partner lately since my kiddo takes up a lot of my time. I figure she will only be young once. But I do miss having someone to talk about the little things in life, like you mentioned.

I'm from Olean, NY, a little town near Buffalo. :)

-Teresa

SofiasMami said:
Lately I've been missing having a partner to go through life's hills and valleys with.

I relate completely to this, especially at this time of year. Maybe not from a parental standpoint, necessarily, but I firmly believe that life is much better shared. Being alone in life is not my preferred way to live. It may suit some people just fine, but it doesn't suit me very well.

During the holidays, being single is more glaring because everyone else is making plans to be with their significant others and their families for the holidays, while I'm just doing my own thing. I would much rather have someone there to do things with. (sigh)

It's probably why this is a more difficult time for me. So, I feel for you, Teresa.

I can sympathise as well, OP. Life is better for most of us when it is shared. I also find it difficult having to make all the decisions myself and knowing that whatever I do, it will only affect me. It is hard having to be strong all the time when inside I don't feel so strong. I hope that you find a nice partner.

SofiasMami said:
I'm from Olean, NY, a little town near Buffalo. :)

-Teresa

I actually know where Olean is. My ex-wife was born in Springville and lived near Gowanda. Her sister lived in Jamestown before moving to Niagara Falls.

I'm probably one of the few Englishmen that's ever heard of any of them ;)

It's not easy maintaining things yourself all the time. I know its tough to get by without waking up to someone and have someone by to just hold you up once in a while and remind you it's ok. You just get used to it unfortunately...its survival your mind thinks of ways to cope and handle it. I just use it as fuel to do everything I want to.

I notice you on here Teresa and you do have a good outlook and sound advice on issues. You're gonna meet someone who will care and will be just as willing to climb the hills and descend the valleys as you will be ready to :)

I actually miss the "giving" part of a relationship.
I take joy in doing special little things for the people I care about.

Thanks everyone :)
I agree that missing having a partner can feel more acute this time of year especially with the holidays.
I feel like I've been doing mostly okay handling what life hands me on my own but out of the blue I have been thinking how nice it would be to have a partner.
I suppose I should use this time to brace myself for Valentine's Day, which always seems to sneak up after Christmas and New Year's.

-Teresa

It definitely is difficult to have someone by your side for a long time and then all of a sudden not have them around anymore. I've worked most if not all holidays for a very long time and it was always nice to at least go home to someone. Now, that's not so much the case, so I can relate. I've been told to focus on what I currently have and to be thankful for that. It's nice to read about familiar situations. Thanks.

I know I can't speak for you, Teresa, but I have a feeling you're a bit like me.
You can handle your own business and life just fine and don't need a partner, but maybe you want one. I think there's a big difference there.
I could be totally wrong about you, of course. :p

EveWasFramed said:
I know I can't speak for you, Teresa, but I have a feeling you're a bit like me.
You can handle your own business and life just fine and don't need a partner, but maybe you want one. I think there's a big difference there.
I could be totally wrong about you, of course. :p

Oh, you nailed it on the head, Eve :) I am very fortunate in my life but just have not gotten that whole relationship/ partner concept to work for me. Sometimes I feel like my deepest relationship these days is with my warm, cushy bed (especially in winter) and The Daily Show. :D It's pretty hard to converse with either one of those, though.

-Teresa

Just because a woman has a husband or boyfriend . doesn't mean that woman is happy. Thee are allot of women settling out there and making people think everything is alright

Latest posts

Back