Good over counter anti depressant?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

rehd

Anyone know of a good over the counter anti depressant / something that also maybe doesn't make me quite as shy as well? Any suggestions or ideas, just post em. I plan on researching further, but recommendations would be of great help.

Also, just noticed that there was already a thread on this page :X I guess merge if you care or don't care, or w/e.

In addition to that, I don't seem to of seen any real positive feedback on that stuff either in that thread, which really makes me wonder if it's even worth trying.

Well the threads are different cos your wanting to know of a good one. The other one is just a general discussion on them. And it dose not hurt to have this ether.

I think the feed back is not to good in the other one cos its ppl that have been on them for a long time and there trying to get of them. I would say anything that makes your feel better can be addictive. I don't know much about this subject as I have never been on anti depressants, I normally just get drunk when am feeling down lol

But my advice would be to never buy this over the counter and always go fro your doctor.

The way I see it you could have ppl that think one suits them and another one is bad. Every one is different so there for different meds well suite different ppl.

I do hope that someone can recommend one for you that well suite you. But as I say I would strongly recommend you go see your doctor be for buying anything.

There may be others but St. John's Wort is the only one i can think of right off, for over the counter. As far as how good it is, some people find it quite effective, others don't. There is plenty of information about it on the web.

You can try some of the 'nutricuticals' (like st johns wort or other vitams) , but as far as medication goes, there isn't any for anti-depression (at least in the US).

Most anti-depressants come with serious side effects that wear off after time. Plus they need to be taken as part of a treatment plan, and for long term use. In most subjects, they won't work right away. You have to keep taking them, and often you take 'loading doses', stronger doses up front so your body gets used to them, then you are weaned off to a smaller 'maitenence' dose. Most anti depressants work by balancing the serotonin levels in your brain, which if left unbalanced can cause feelings of depression or anxiety. If the meds do work you will start to feeling less depressed (these meds typically won't make you feel 'good', but they will help you not feel so sad and down). They usually come with side effects that range from naseau, dizziness, and for many people 'the shakes'. These will usually pass, but only after taking the meds for a while.

Take everything I just said with a grain of salt. I am not a doctor, only a pharmacy tech. I can't legally give medical advice. You may not have any of the reactions, and your doctor may prescribe something totally different. But know that there are actual physical causes for depression and anxiety that can be treated. I can also tell you it does not work for everyone.

If shyness is your problem, then the best medication for that is to get out and smile at people. A shy smile can really do wonders! Its hard thing to do, but in my opinion the best thing to do is get out there and interact, no matter how scary it may seem. You will quickly find that your fears are unfounded.

Truth be told that there ARE some drugs that make you 'less shy', but usually they are controlled or illegal.

grundel70 said:
(like st johns wort or other vitams)

St Johns Wort isn't a vitamin. It is an old herbal treatment for depression. In some countries a prescription is required, but not in most. Most people report that it does not have the side effects commonly associated with many prescription antidepressants. How effective people find it to be varies greatly and it isn't for major depression.

Several studies and meta-analyses have found it to be effective in the treatment of mild to moderate depression, with fewer side effects than many conventional antidepressants. Other studies, including a major National Institutes of Health (NIH) study that focused on participants with major depression, have shown no improvements.

I don't remember any reports of it's use in connection with shyness.

Princess Cleocatra said:
samba101 said:
I think it's called Htpp something like that.

I believe what you are referring to here is 5-HTTP. (5-Hydroxytryptophan).. This is available OTC. I've used this, short-term basis, it's been very beneficial in treating a depressed state of mind.. But there are many others supplements etc., one can try that might help depression that have no such side effects such as are abundant in prescription anti-depressants.

I have to say, this is where Princess Cleocatra really knows her stuff. She really is very knowledgeable about alternative Madison's.

If I ever needed any advice or help with this Princess Cleocatra would be the person I went to. Just frowing that in there.

"5-htp helps control appetite, relieves insomnia, improves mood, calms anxiety, reduces symptoms of pms, fibromyalgia and headaches"

No way, is this true? If so, I'm getting this magic pill asap.

loketron said:
ive never taken anti depresants, the thought of it makes me feel ill, like im not normal if im hocked up on pills. although smoking weed isnt any better i guess

Smoking weed relaxers you. If all your looking for is a good nights sleep then weed is good. But it can make some ppl even moor depressed. No moor then drink I would add. In fact I would say drink is weirs then weed.

Bluey said:
loketron said:
ive never taken anti depresants, the thought of it makes me feel ill, like im not normal if im hocked up on pills. although smoking weed isnt any better i guess

Smoking weed relaxers you. If all your looking for is a good nights sleep then weed is good. But it can make some ppl even moor depressed. No moor then drink I would add. In fact I would say drink is weirs then weed.

Smoking weed has basically no affect on your body negatively. The only thing is the tar and cancer it can produce, although it hardly ever turns to cancer because the cells that become cancerous die before they can. If you brew it into tea and drink it, it's actually healthier for you to drink it than to not drink it. :D

The only thing about the drugs is that I'm paranoid and worried about them. I have done acid and shrooms and robo tripped before, I know the kinds of effects drugs, legal and illegal, can have on your body. The idea of having a substance control my mood for a long period of time is scary to me because I know what it's like to have NO control over your mind. I don't want something to knock me into a deeper depression and not have any control.

I've pretty well decided now that I won't take pills for anxiety / depression / shyness, but I would love suggestions for pills for sleeping. I am a horrible insomniac, I wake up tired no matter how much sleep I get. I have a horrible time trying to fall asleep, and when I do sleep I get night terrors every time. Guranteed. :(

rehd said:
Bluey said:
loketron said:

Smoking weed has basically no affect on your body negatively. The only thing is the tar and cancer it can produce, although it hardly ever turns to cancer because the cells that become cancerous die before they can. If you brew it into tea and drink it, it's actually healthier for you to drink it than to not drink it. :D

The only thing about the drugs is that I'm paranoid and worried about them. I have done acid and shrooms and robo tripped before, I know the kinds of effects drugs, legal and illegal, can have on your body. The idea of having a substance control my mood for a long period of time is scary to me because I know what it's like to have NO control over your mind. I don't want something to knock me into a deeper depression and not have any control.

I've pretty well decided now that I won't take pills for anxiety / depression / shyness, but I would love suggestions for pills for sleeping. I am a horrible insomniac, I wake up tired no matter how much sleep I get. I have a horrible time trying to fall asleep, and when I do sleep I get night terrors every time. Guranteed. :(

I have never took acid, That to scary for me, I think I probably would have tried shrooms at one time but the opportunity never arose.

I know what you mean about the drug controlling you tho, I smoked normal cigarettes for a few years and I was not a heavy smoker by any means. But when I needed a cig I needed a cig no matter what I was doing. I hated the fact that I was controlled by something like this. I have at 1am be for jumped in the car and drove 20 minutes away to find a 24 hour garage just for a pack of cigarettes.

So ye this is what would put me off them as well. knowing I could not function with out them. I Guss for some ppl though its a necessity.

Bluey said:
I have never took acid, That to scary for me, I think I probably would have tried shrooms at one time but the opportunity never arose.

I know what you mean about the drug controlling you tho, I smoked normal cigarettes for a few years and I was not a heavy smoker by any means. But when I needed a cig I needed a cig no matter what I was doing. I hated the fact that I was controlled by something like this. I have at 1am be for jumped in the car and drove 20 minutes away to find a 24 hour garage just for a pack of cigarettes.

So ye this is what would put me off them as well. knowing I could not function with out them. I Guss for some ppl though its a necessity.

I would honestly never suggest for anyone to take a drug like acid or shrooms, however they were experiences that I would not take back for the world. I am pretty sure it messed with me a bit and skewed my perception of reality on a few things, but at the same time it opened my eyes and gave me a new sense of tolerance and acceptance for things that I used to hate.

Sleeping pills I think would help though. If I can function during the day and not be zonked out, maybe I wouldn't be as shy? Idk. :(

rehd said:
Bluey said:

I would honestly never suggest for anyone to take a drug like acid or shrooms, however they were experiences that I would not take back for the world. I am pretty sure it messed with me a bit and skewed my perception of reality on a few things, but at the same time it opened my eyes and gave me a new sense of tolerance and acceptance for things that I used to hate.

Sleeping pills I think would help though. If I can function during the day and not be zonked out, maybe I wouldn't be as shy? Idk. :(

Well I always like to think am open minded enough to try most things. But if am honest there are a lot of things I would not try. But ye I no longer smoke weed at all but I have done a little bit and poppers. But know the only thing I do is have a drink now and again.

I think maybe if your getting a good nights sleep you well feel better in the day. So if your moor awake and alert and have moor energy you probably might not come across as so shy as you would feel like making the effort moor. So ye this dose make since that you take something to get a good nights sleep. I only sometimes suffer with not being able to sleep and when that happens it is horrible. I would hate to have that problem all the time. I fined if I work out in the day that I get a better nights sleep.

I actually bought the 5htp pills and they're wonderful. I sat in my garden all day laughing with myself and drinking orange juice. It's an easy, natural kind of contentment that they give you, not chemical feeling or coked out at all.

rehd said:
If you brew it into tea and drink it, it's actually healthier for you to drink it than to not drink it. :D

Now that I've never done! What's it like?

zem said:
I actually bought the 5htp pills and they're wonderful. I sat in my garden all day laughing with myself and drinking orange juice. It's an easy, natural kind of contentment that they give you, not chemical feeling or coked out at all.

I did a bit of research and I guess the main stuff it's from is from an African plant, got any other info you could tell me? Ingred on bottle? Etc etc?

And in response to weed tea, it's like being high... because you are getting high. :p Just through tea and not smoking, it takes alot more and costs more money, but at the same time, it's healthy. Oh, most people just save stems and then use those to make tea so they can get high normally by smoking and then make tea from left over stems.

My doctor prescribed me LEXAPRO, made me really sick and drowsny for about 3 months, then i stopped. then, i used my medical record at the shrink to get my medical marijuana license. it helps a lot with depression if i dont do it often. i got it for anxiety, insomnia, and major depression. it was quite easy. its actually now my preferred over the counter drug more than anything. i can buy high grade marijuana, MJ cookies, bownies, MJ tea bags, sodas... etc. eat half of the brownie and i can sleep easily with no trouble. plus the marijuana clincs are making billions and billions of dollars for the government every year in California, its supporting the state in a way. these clinics get taxed just like regular stores.

tea is the healthiest way for you, as the doctor told me when i was getting my license. marijuana does not hurt you, its the way you take it, and the amount. you CAN be addicted to it. i still smoke everyday, but i dont smoke like 9 diff times a day anymore.

and shrooms made me realized too much truth about life, i remember every time after i take it i get extremely depressed. i often tell people NOT to do shrooms because i did too much and it made me overall a very depressed person.

acid gives me many profound meanings in life. i do it often. it makes u very philosophical. THEY ACTUALLY USE LSD TO CURE ALCOHOLISM. check it out.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/10/061007111350.htm

however, lately ive come to realization that ive taken way too many diff kinds of hallucinogen/drugs, that its creating more trouble than i needed.

rehd said:
zem said:

I did a bit of research and I guess the main stuff it's from is from an African plant, got any other info you could tell me? Ingred on bottle? Etc etc?

And in response to weed tea, it's like being high... because you are getting high. :p Just through tea and not smoking, it takes alot more and costs more money, but at the same time, it's healthy. Oh, most people just save stems and then use those to make tea so they can get high normally by smoking and then make tea from left over stems.

The ingredients only list "griffonia simplicifolia" and the stuff that the capule shell is made of. The bottle says that it's a plant derived amino acid that naturally increases serotonin levels.

I really like it. It just automatically makes me feel sunnier and happy, like after a good laugh with a friend. No side effects at all, just a clean natural happy :)

and regarding weed, does anyone else dislike it?
It was great when I was social and generally happy, but now that I'm
kind of depressed, getting high just makes me cry and then I automatically fall asleep :/

Latest posts

Back