Not sure about school

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

always_lonely

Reaction score
So I'm not sure about university, or if I should keep going. I am an older student going back to school, I went to community college, and now I have transferred to a large university, and I am miserable. It's like a bad version of highschool all over again.

I'm finishing up my second semester now at the 4 year school. I am in biomed engineering. My plans were always dentistry, or something like it. Something working with people who need help. biomed engineering has very little biology, and it's focused on making things it seems. I never wanted to make things, but was told this would be a great degree for medicine.

Its been a very long time since I've touched anything bio/med related. I'm increasingly more and more alienated because my interests don't align with everyone else's at the college. The teachers act like I'm an idiot. Zero respect.
I hate the work, and I really hate the teachers. Everyone (school advising) keeps telling me that "everyone hates engineering school" and to just move on.

I however kind of feel misled a little. I'm miserable studying nothing I am interested in and the school gets a lot of my money. My advisers keep telling me I'm burned out and need to "take the afternoon off."

I think I just hate what I'm doing with my life and who I've surrounded myself with right now.

I'm so confused because I have so many people in my ear telling me that things aren't so bad, and that I really don't know what engineering is really about, that I am just complaining.

I contacted a biomed company and asked to see what they do last year. I walked away knowing that what they do IS NOT what I want to do with my life. This kind of pisses the school career development staff off because I am adamant that I don't want to participate in their co-ops.

There is still dental school, but after this, I doubt I'll keep going. I'm so turned off right now. University has been like a really bad version of high school for me. They control so much of what you do putting you in positions you don't want to be in constantly, then tell you that you did it to yourself push all the responsibility on to you the "dumb student." Much of this experience has been surprisingly childish, at least from an adult perspective.

It's been so depressing to go from the work force, to unemployment, to school. I really don't know what to think anymore. I know basically I am whining, but I don't know who else to turn to.

Hey! I've dealt with a lot of the same frustrations relating to school goals and how it can occasionally feel like people are steering you in the wrong direction. If you don't feel like you're moving towards the goals you've set for yourself you could always try to identify other academic options be it a different area of study at the same place or a different place altogether. Admission counselors will talk to you right off the bat and usually provide you with plenty of info, just make sure to stay mindful of where they stand in all this. You're a 4-year payday and their job is to convince you to go even if it's not the right fit. Not that you should distrust them but take what they say with a grain of salt. Hopefully you can find someone with some experience in your field to give you some advice, maybe go talk to a local dentist and ask him/her about their school choices, couldn't hurt.

Best of luck!

Latest posts

Back