How do you deal with life?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ordinaryDude

Reaction score
Life is like a big fat old elephant. It eats too much, and does very little. It demands a lot from us, but the prizes are very little. So, I'd like to ask all of you, how do you deal with what life is? How do you find the motivation to live it?

I find purpose and beauty in a good walk, a good view, good food, a good book, good music, good films, good conversation and love, with a sprinkling of good sex lol

All the above makes it all worthwhile

Lady X said:
I find purpose and beauty in a good walk, a good view, good food, a good book, good music, good films, good conversation and love, with a sprinkling of good sex lol

All the above makes it all worthwhile

^^ Pretty much this for me. Have fun. See beauty in every aspect. Scavenge some good when something turns bad. That sort of thing. Why have a meaning, when I can just have fun?

food and internet? no, jk

yesterday I heard a sentence on tv that stuck with me: how do you go through difficult moments?"
"you decide who you are, who you want to be, and you stick with that, you follow that, you make that your life."
(something like that)

Live life day by day. I enjoy work a lot, so I go to work. How do you all stay so positive? It's nice to read about. Thanks.

Peaches said:
yesterday I heard a sentence on tv that stuck with me: how do you go through difficult moments?"
"you decide who you are, who you want to be, and you stick with that, you follow that, you make that your life."
(something like that)

I deal with it this way. The way I have heard it and say it to myself is not the same as what Peaches wrote, but it's the same meaning.

I deal with life because no one else can do it for me, because no one else would deal with my life as well as I can. Life is what you make it, whether you want to believe that or not. There is more to life than negativity and until you realize that and start seeing some positive things in life, you will be stuck where you are.

Go a day without complaining. Just one day, no negative thoughts or actions. Just go about your business without once having something negative on your mind. See how you feel. Hell, even a half day or an hour or two. What's the worst that could happen?

ordinaryDude said:
Life is like a big fat old elephant. It eats too much, and does very little. It demands a lot from us, but the prizes are very little. So, I'd like to ask all of you, how do you deal with what life is? How do you find the motivation to live it?

“I think I could turn and live with animals, theyre so placid and
self contained,
I stand and look at them long and long.
They do not sweat and whine about their condition,
They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins,
They do not make me sick discussing their duty to God,
Not one is dissatisfied, not one is demented with the mania of
owing things,
Not one kneels to another, nor to his kind that lived thousands
of years ago,
Not one is respectable or unhappy over the whole earth.”

-Walt Whitman

I'm a busy mum with kids and a family, and I run a business. That little lot helps keep my mind from wandering into self pity. Why I should feel sorry for myself when having such adorable children and a great man is beyond me. Outside family I have just one good friend.

I take a day at a time. No two days are the same except when I'm cooking for house guests in our bed&breakfast, life is what I make of it. Two years ago I had just overcome OCD. It had ruled my life to make it terrible. I don't like harking back to then because what matters is the now. It's easy to be anxious about tomorrow. But tomorrow hasn't happened yet.

It depends on how I am feeling when the honeysuckle hits. I have had a bit of muck thrown lately that can't be avoided. Someday's I felt like hiding under the duvet and pretending its not happening, someday's I am feeling stronger so I just jump in and tackle it. If I feel like crying I will, I am not ashamed, if I need to wallow I get the duvet and netflix (although I only allow myself to do this one day). I also count my blessings this helps, looking at the beauty of things we take for granted. I have learnt some tools over the years to look at situations more clear that are surprisingly simple but very effective. I try and practice being mindful and that helps me from overthinking. It took years to get to this place of feeling I have the ability to choose how I react and deal with things.

One day at a time. There will always be challenges and there's no way around them. And it's better to face them head-on cause sooner or later you'll regret it otherwise...you just do what needs to be done.

Music, coffee, and a bullet list that I defer to:

1.) Shake it off.
2.) Laugh it off.
3.) Drone it away.
4.) Kill it with firewater.
5.) Talk to someone. Anyone. Anywhere, about it.

Tends to get me through. I'm both restless and depressed and alternate between the two rather constantly....so, I don't sleep much, or for very long.

I look forward to the evening time when I'm usually relaxed, look forward to sleeping and hope tomorrow will be an ok day.

Latest posts

Back