Something selfless that you did today

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Cavey

Ok, so I don't start threads and this one will probably die inside 5 minutes, but I thought it would be nice to have somewhere to post something selfless that you did today - a single act for someone else for which you expected nothing in return.

With a bit of luck, it will motivate others to do something selfless too.

Today I saw a woman drop a rather expensive looking pair of leather gloves on the street, so (after watching hundreds of people ignore it) I picked them up and ran after her.

That's great! :) World needs more people like you. You did the right thing.

I've sometimes helped elders if they ask something from me. For example, one old lady didn't remember when the next bus will come so I told her. Just the little things, nothing special.

Cavey said:
Ok, so I don't start threads and this one will probably die inside 5 minutes, but I thought it would be nice to have somewhere to post something selfless that you did today - a single act for someone else for which you expected nothing in return.

With a bit of luck, it will motivate others to do something selfless too.

Today I saw a woman drop a rather expensive looking pair of leather gloves on the street, so (after watching hundreds of people ignore it) I picked them up and ran after her.
This didn't happen today, but your post reminded me of something that happened when I was in the UK.
I was in the airport and a rather scruffy looking young man dropped a rather ragged looking hat in the airport. Several people saw it, but no one moved, as the young man walked away. It's not really something I care to do (handle a stranger's headwear) but I nabbed the hat and trotted off after him. I called to him and he turned and saw his hat in my hand. A huge smile lit up his face as he took the hat from me. He said it was his favorite hat. (I would say he was telling the truth - it was VERY well-worn, lol). The young man honestly looked a bit like a ragamuffin, but he was very polite and appreciative of having his hat back.
Not really a "selfless" thing I did, but something small that probably meant a little something to a total stranger. :)

EveWasFramed said:
Not really a "selfless" thing I did, but something small that probably meant a little something to a total stranger. :)

Ah, but that's the what a selfless act is. You didn't fancy picking up his hat - nothing bad was going to happen if you didn't and nothing beneficial was going to happen to you if you did, but something stirred inside of you and you decided to do it anyway.

I always remember in my early days here, I had a doctor's appointment to go to and the possible outcome was scaring the hell out of me. Annik and LadyF both wished me luck and it helped me get through it. It might have seemed like they did very little, but it was the only thing that got me through it. It's also one of the reasons I decided to settle here :)

Great thread :). Does this count. I got a brand new Mum a drink because she had her hands full with her baby, and held the baby while she had a minute.

cards and presents? especially to some in a dark spot right now
not sure if this counts
had a ticket for the cue in the County Lawyers' office and had to leave before my turn because it was getting late, and I gave the ticket to someone near the door who just arrived and should have had to wait at least an hour, she was so happy :D
also this doesn't count, I guess

Not from today but

Our country has 3 different bus-tickets and these two foreigners were on our kind of busses and they had the wrong ticket and they barely knew where they had to go. So I took them under my wing and paid their tickets and walked around with them for 20 minutes to make sure they go to where they had to go.

From yesterday.

I got myself into a bet with my friend (It was a fake bet, he found out afterwards) to give him a little push to invite his crush to his party. (I lost the bet and you know, I got rejected. but at least he's happy. So I'm happy for him. I hope it all works out.)

And for mostly other days

I get up like 4 hrs earlier than I should everyday so that my friend won't have to take the train alone to school. I mostly sit there doing nothing for a few hours then, but at least he doesn't have to be alone. Being alone sucks.

Yesterday this little old lady came into my shop. A few weeks ago she mentioned a classical singer she liked and mentioned lending me the CD.
Last week I said 'hello' to her but then got distracted by someone else and she walked out the shop without talking.
This week she started talking to me and asked me if I wanted to lend her CD. I said 'yes, it would be nice'
I have no interest in her CD and I don't like classical music but I didn't have the heart to tell her. She seems very lonely.
The staff heard our exchange and were surprized when I admitted I had no interest in her CD.
They said I was 'really nice' and 'I'm nice to everybody'

I'm going to massively stretch the rules of my own thread here, but I was reading the 'Quotes' thread in General Chat and I saw a picture that Zero posted of an old man cradling a lamb and it reminded me of something.

Early one morning, I was walking along a country road when I heard a strange sound. I walked over to where the noises were coming from, and in the long grass by the side of the road I found what appeared to be a very recently born lamb. It was shivering and couldn't seem to stand up and there were no sheep anywhere near. The ground was frosty and all I had on under my jacket was a T-shirt, but I took off my very expensive leather coat and wrapped the lamb in it. I walked the mile or so the vets (while freezing my nuts off) and the vet looked after it until later in the day when it was reunited with it's flock.

I bought some spaghetti and a jar of curry sauce for the local foodbank.

a really old lady who didn't speak the local language was in the wrong bus stop, and I accompanied her to the right stop, and she was holding my hand all the way, so cute

Coming out of a shop today, I spotted a frail looking elderly lady who looked upset. She was stood there holding the wheel of her shopping trolley baggy thingy, it had obviously come off. I went over and asked if she needed help putting it back on. She handed it to me looking grateful and told me she struggles bending down now. Luckily it went on and reattached ok. She was smiling afterwards saying she didnt know what to do. We had a nice chat and wished each other a Merry Christmas. Is it selfless though, that I joy out of helping her?

I took out another bag of trash and relined the trash container without being asked. Again!

I have a problem calling small things "selfless" I suppose, but I took money out of savings to buy a few extra things for Xmas for my nephew (who lives with me) because my daughter has more gifts than he does. I didn't want him to feel like he wasn't worth as much as her. :(

EveWasFramed said:
I have a problem calling small things "selfless" I suppose, but I took money out of savings to buy a few extra things for Xmas for my nephew (who lives with me) because my daughter has more gifts than he does. I didn't want him to feel like he wasn't worth as much as her. :(

That is selfless though.

(hug) Not many would do that.

didn't go out yet so not easy to perform a selfless act - is reading books of psychology in order to create a tool that can help people selfless? not sure

I won't earn money from it, that's for sure, and right now I get zero enjoyment in the reading itself
naaa, don't know what it is but it's not selfless

EveWasFramed said:

that's a delicate thought

Latest posts

Back