Need Advice - First Time Gym Goer

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ak5

Reaction score
Well folks, I'm a freshman in college ('murica) and it's time to put those gym fees to use. The only exercise I know of is running, and it's time to add strength training into the mix. Now...I have a lot of social anxiety, so my New Year's resolution for when I get back to college is start going to the gym. It feels intimidating whereas all these guys know what their doing and I'm just there thinking "I have no idea what I'm doing." :p

So, if any of you guys can give a noob some advice about what machines, weights, etc to use that would be great. Instructional videos and websites too!

I am not sure what a New years resolution is... But from what i figured out its like a "next year i do this... And be like that..." thing? If so, yea dont do that... Dont wait for that special moment to turn your life around couse you think it will magicly change something.... And besides i would advice you to wait a few weeks or even a month becouse im sure that there thousands of people that think the same thing and the place will be crowded.

So for your quastion:
1) dont pay attention to anyone, youre there for you, and everyone started as noob that dont know anything. If someone does looks at you just ask him if youre doing it right, im sure they will be glad to help

2) I think there will be a trainer or something that you can ask for help.

And good luck!!!! I myself dont go to the gym, but i do Krav Maga. I feel really good about myself after the workout.

Ak5 said:
Well folks, I'm a freshman in college ('murica) and it's time to put those gym fees to use. The only exercise I know of is running, and it's time to add strength training into the mix. Now...I have a lot of social anxiety, so my New Year's resolution for when I get back to college is start going to the gym. It feels intimidating whereas all these guys know what their doing and I'm just there thinking "I have no idea what I'm doing." :p

So, if any of you guys can give a noob some advice about what machines, weights, etc to use that would be great. Instructional videos and websites too!

Learn to do squats and deadlifts. makes all your core solid.

I miss the gym :(

Google Body for Life and go to their exercise page and click on the link for their weight training.

All those people strutting their stuff walked into a gym as newbies one day and you are following in their footsteps so don't be embarrassed be inspired. Good luck and enjoy !

Hey, been working out for 2 years now, I can give you an outline of my schedule, works for me(you can ask a trainer in your gym about the best exercises for each body type). This is for 3 days a week, 2 hours each day:

1st day: Chest (5 exercises), triceps (3 exercises), upper ups (4 exercises)
2nd day: Back (5 exercises), biceps (3 exercises), lower abs (4 exercises)
3rd day: Legs (5 exercises), shoulders (3 exercises), side abs (2 exercises) & lower back (2 exercises)

Also, 10 mins of running on treadmill before & after each workout.

Hope this helps :D

I don't know anything about this stuff but I just couldn't resist adding, don't drop the soap.

jd7: Good point, I've heard about those.

Nicholas: I'm home right now (different State) so I don't have any gym nearby, and besides, I'm going back to my univ in 2 weeks. Also, Krav Maga! Cool! Nobody better mess with you. :p

cumulus.james: I'll keep that in mind.

rcal: There are, they have Personal Trainers, but...#BrokeCollegeStudent. I'll see if they have people available who can tell me what each machine is for. :rolleyes2:

mountainvista: I'll check it out.

Jently: You're right. In fact, NOBODY is too old.

Seeker: I'll see what exercises can be done to train those areas.

Sci-Fi: LOL! And, good to see you again.

PS: What starting weight would you guys recommend for dumbbells, barbells, and stuff like that? The websites I check don't say much about that.

Really appreciate the comments, peeps. ;)

I no longer use gyms, but I'm sure that you will find there are PLENTY of people there who haven't a clue what they're doing too. That's the biggest problem. You'll find hundreds of people using weights they can barely manage, with terrible form, putting massive pressure on their joints - all so they can say they can curl 200lb etc.

You'll also find people there that will be more than happy to show you what each machine is and which muscles it targets. It's usually NOT the big guys - they are too busy trying to get bigger to waste time on new people.

Here's the best bit of advice I will give you. If you can't do 20 press ups, 10 chin ups/pull ups and 20 dips with proper form, then start with those. You can do them at home if need be without much equipment and if you cannot lift your own body weight efficiently, then there is no point throwing heavy weights around.

Ak5 said:
PS: What starting weight would you guys recommend for dumbbells, barbells, and stuff like that? The websites I check don't say much about that.

There is no 'correct weight', but I use a simple 8-12 reps with proper form. If you can't manage that, then it's too heavy. If you can do more, then it's not heavy enough.

Correct form is FAR more important than heavy weight. Incorrect form puts stress on your joints and leads to poor posture, inconsistent muscle growth and, in the worst cases, injury.

As others have said, you should start with compound exercises like squats, deadlifts, clean & press, bent over rows, dips, pull ups etc.

Yeah, no use in doing the incorrect form and straining yourself. More harm than good. The gym must have bars to start doing pull ups and stuff. I'll look into compound exercises too, and see how those are done.

Like I said before, complete noob. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. :club:

Latest posts

Back