What is happiness

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

shadetree

Id already written this in response to another post and then i seen they asked for no long responses so i thought id post it up here. Because i cant seem to for the life of me do the one sentence reply thing. I think ive got some sort of long winded writing mental issue lol.

Anyway the person asked about happiness, and this kinda came out and i think its worth passing along and might help somebody to reconsider how they view things hopefully. Might help somebody find a little peace.

You know theres a couple videos on netflix i been meaning to watch about happiness, ones called Happy, and the other is called Happy People a Year in the Taiga about this isolated village in russia where people live off the land. Im curious if those videos point toward some of the stuff im saying below....

I think true happiness is learning to be satisfied with what you got. Thats my theory on why theres so much unhappiness in the world now. Society now adays is driven by money, and everyday we see things on tv and movies and hear about it in songs, read about it in books about we need this, we need that, but its all lies. The only thing any of us really need is air, food, and god. The rest is just extra stuff. I would agree that we need love but as i get older its gotten so hard with the people thing that im trying to learn ways to be happy without people and sometimes in spite of people. I mean most people dont give a second thought to what they truly even want or need to be happy. Its just this grey area in their head that theyre afraid to approach and look at because they think theyll never fill it with whatever it is they need, but they still wont look at it to find out lol.

So i think honestly most of us myself included are too crazy from the way were raised and our beliefs and habits and everything else to really be happy in this life. To truly find happiness we need to relearn the basics of what lifes all about and question our beliefs and what weve been taught and know. I really believe that. Wouldnt it be awesome though if everybody did that? Itd be a lot better world.

Ill use myself as an example. Im married, got two kids, a good wife, a place to live thats safe roof doesnt leak, most everything in it works. So i got everything i really need but im still not happy alot of the time because i feel like somethings missing. For me i feel like its friends, but like i said alot of days lately as im getting older im starting to realize im focusing way too much on that and im missing the things that truly make life worth living like seeing the sun shining through the pine trees early in the morning and seeing my dogs running around rolling around happy and playing, opening my cupboards up and having food in there, being taken care of, hearing a song that makes me feel something, laughter, doing something new, so many many things.So many possible good experiences in life alot of us dont seek out anymore because we get so caught up in looking for something were not finding right away. Whether thats money, love, power, status, location or i mean whatever the list goes on.

Some people hunt money their whole lives, want to be rich, they think oh ill solve all my problems when i look at most rich people they seem miserable too. So i mean really its like i said to start with. Just learning to be satisfied with what you have and not yearning for the other side of the fence where the grass is green and the sun always shines. Theres problems on that side too.

So my new years resolution this year is to be satisfied, happiness comes with that i think.

Anyway just some rambling thoughts at 3 am on a christmas morning.

Awesome post, thank you for taking the time to write it. I don't understand why people keep chasing after a perfect life. Don't people get that whenever they reach the glass ceiling that corporations and politicians tell us we need to reach in order to be happy, that they raise it? You are never going to reach the ceiling and you know it, yet you keep struggling.

As for me, I am content with what I have, no matter how few they may be. Desire is the root of all heartache.

A remote village in Russia where people live off the land

I really like the sound of that.

Have you ever read "Walden" by Henry David Thoreau? I recommend it.

I bought "The Conquest of Happiness" by Bertrand Russell but I have been too depressed and drunk to read it.

Nuzzy Nuz said:
ladyforsaken said:
Seeker_2.0 said:
Desire is the root of all heartache.

I wonder if this is mainly the reason why I've lost the desire for anything anymore.

But sometimes desires can be your determination..something that helps u up and drags you through life..

It used to be like that for me....... but each time I get burned and left behind and forgotten.
*shrugs*

No worries, I'm cool. Just not expecting anything out of this life. It's kinda meaningless more so than the usual for me lately.

Thanks though, it's refreshing to see such an attitude as yours. :)

cumulus.james said:

Walden is my favorite book, I live in a cabin in the woods myself, so I can relate to Thoreau a lot. I also have him to credit for teaching me how to think :)

ladyforsaken said:
It used to be like that for me....... but each time I get burned and left behind and forgotten.
*shrugs*

No worries, I'm cool. Just not expecting anything out of this life. It's kinda meaningless more so than the usual for me lately.

Thanks though, it's refreshing to see such an attitude as yours. :)

why do you say that? :( You can make your life meaningful if put ur heart to..+ thanx 4 the compliment

Seeker_2.0 said:
Awesome post, thank you for taking the time to write it. I don't understand why people keep chasing after a perfect life. Don't people get that whenever they reach the glass ceiling that corporations and politicians tell us we need to reach in order to be happy, that they raise it? You are never going to reach the ceiling and you know it, yet you keep struggling.

As for me, I am content with what I have, no matter how few they may be. Desire is the root of all heartache.

Glad you enjoyed it, i dont understand why they do it either, but then you know i say that and i catch myself doing it too. I think like i had said its just product of our upbringing, were brought up to think thats what were supposed to do i think is the only thing i can figure out.

cumulus.james said:
A remote village in Russia where people live off the land

I really like the sound of that.

I bought "The Conquest of Happiness" by Bertrand Russell but I have been too depressed and drunk to read it.

I havent ever read any Thoureau but i know who he is and ive read excerpts of a lot of his stuff, he seems like a brilliant guy. As far as the being depressed thing, i hope it gets better for you.

Heres a video some of you might enjoy about this guy that lives in complete isolation for forty years that seems totally content with his lot in life and chooses to live this way. I wish i could step inside his head and absorb some of his wisdom for being satisfied and content and really wrap my head around it.

[video=youtube]

What is happiness?
Cheer of senses to certain level when one feels total peace with oneself. Well, that could be but each one has different level of sense in them. Living a perfect life is the goal people always run for. and that is what keep them happpy for a while but happiness is not permanent, it never has and never will. But finding happiness in doing little things one we all can do. Longing for happiness is what that has kept eveyone alive.

happiness is - fulfillment
feeling that you have a purpose and you are fulfilling that purpose

screw the perfect life imposed by television, everyone's perfect life is different

I understand that it's very important to take enjoyment in small things, but that shouldn't stop up from looking for what really fills our hearts

Peaches said:
happiness is - fulfillment
feeling that you have a purpose and you are fulfilling that purpose

screw the perfect life imposed by television, everyone's perfect life is different

I understand that it's very important to take enjoyment in small things, but that shouldn't stop up from looking for what really fills our hearts

Precisely :)

Happiness is a result of our positive emotions so, for me it is a choice we make. A person can be still happy if he/she believes that life is worth living for even when the person is going through the most challenging period of his/her life.

Latest posts

Back