Aphorisms

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

AaronAgassi

"It's not what you know, but who you know."
Meaning, of course: that vital connections even for the most rank incompetents and scoundrels are all too often so much more key to success even than the very greatest ability, all too often unrecognized and unrewarded.

Or, var: "It’s not what you know or who you know, but who you sorta-know."
In other words: six degrees of separation and all that. -Facility in extended networking, even however superficial, has been found to bring to light the competitive plumb opportunities first.

Or, var: "It's not who you know, but who knows you!"
Purport: It shall be the propagation of glowing reputation and standing that draws opportunity and opens many doors.

"He who has a thousand friends has not a friend to spare,
And he who has one enemy will meet him everywhere."
-Ali ibn Abi Talib, 4th caliph (602-661)

"Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate."
- Thomas Jones

4:7 Then I returned, and I saw vanity under the sun.  
4:8 There is one alone, and there is not a second; yea, he hath neither child nor brother: yet is there no end of all his labour; neither is his eye satisfied with riches; neither saith he, For whom do I labour, and bereave my soul of good? This is also vanity, yea, it is a sore travail.  
04:9 Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour.  
4:10 For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up.  
4:11 Again, if two lie together, then they have heat: but how can one be warm alone?  
4:12 And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken.

-Ecclesiastes, King James version

"There is no pleasure to me without communication: there is not so much as a sprightly thought comes into my mind that it does not grieve me to have produced alone, and that I have no one to tell it to."

- Michel Eyquem De Montaigne

"Philosophers, writers, artists, even scientists, not only need encouragement and an audience, they need constant stimulation from other people. It is almost impossible to think without talking. If Defoe had really lived on a desert island, he could not have written Robinson Crusoe, nor would he have wanted to. Take away freedom of speech, and the creative faculties dry up."

'Conversation with a Pacifist' by George Orwell
http://www.resort.com/~prime8/Orwell/pacifist.html

"I think a man only needs one thing in life. He just needs someone to love. If you can't give him that, then give him something to hope for. And if you can't give him that, just give him something to do."
-James Liddle

Memorable Quotes from
Flight of the Phoenix (remake, 2004)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0377062/quotes

True love does not come by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly.  
— Jason Jordan

I just saw this post and am wondering how I missed it. Thanks, its great. Are the first three yours?

Thanks for these sayings! I will try to find TWO real true friends. Then, I will be a threefold cord and not easily broken!

Are there those unrighteous who so prevail against you, or is this just contingency planning?

Wow Aaron,I must say you are increadibly intelligent,i mean seriously your so gifted with your words that I will be surprised if you are not with MENSA?,a lot of your words i get lost in because they are so deep!,i think the only reason you feel lonely may be because you have not found higher intelligent friends like yourself,I am wondering if that is why?, I dont know of course,but I think its amazing the deep way you can express yourself, not to freak you out, but it does remind me of genius minds!.
God Bless;)
AaronAgassi said:
Are there those unrighteous who so prevail against you, or is this just contingency planning?

angel_light said:
Wow Aaron,I must say you are increadibly intelligent,i mean seriously your so gifted with your words that I will be surprised if you are not with MENSA?,a lot of your words i get lost in because they are so deep!,i think the only reason you feel lonely may be because you have not found higher intelligent friends like yourself,I am wondering if that is why?, I dont know of course,but I think its amazing the deep way you can express yourself, not to freak you out, but it does remind me of genius minds!.
God Bless;)
AaronAgassi said:

Yes. Who needs Shakespeare when we have Aaron.

Forsooth! Yes to which choice? How caution? Or else, against what slings and arrows of how outrageous fortune must you already take arms and amid which sea of troubles? Who's gotcha down, toots?

But wait, Frecconia, are you answering the question that I posed of lonelygirl? Or, wait, are you simply chiming in with angel_light?

And no, angel_light, I fear that I'm just too Dyslexic for the tricks and puzzles to join MENSA!

AaronAgassi said:
4:7 Then I returned, and I saw vanity under the sun.  
4:8 There is one alone, and there is not a second; yea, he hath neither child nor brother: yet is there no end of all his labour; neither is his eye satisfied with riches; neither saith he, For whom do I labour, and bereave my soul of good? This is also vanity, yea, it is a sore travail.  
04:9 Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour.  
4:10 For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up.  
4:11 Again, if two lie together, then they have heat: but how can one be warm alone?  
4:12 And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken.

-Ecclesiastes, King James version
That's very true.

I have a question for you, AaronAgassi. What do you think about a person who comes upon someone who has fallen and has not another to help him up, and laughs at his misery, rather than helping (even if just with words) ?

To laugh at the misery of someone who has fallen without anyone to help him up, rather than helping this person. Is that a good action or a bad action?

Only given that one accepts such a perception on face value, both intent and harm, and all things being equal, that would rather qualify as blatantly cruel.

You turn now:
What would you think, for example, of a fellow resident of Uz rebuking poor Job, all covered in boils, as it turns out, for poor hygiene endangering the community? Indeed, what if Job is somewhat hypochondriac, and his boils appear after all as naught but a mild rash?

Are you trying to ask what I think of people with bad hygiene ? I wouldn't ostracize them, but I also would try not to get infected, for my own good. If they noticed that I'm avoiding physical contact with them and asked me why, I would politely explain that hygiene is important... especially if it's another lonely person like me. I would explain that society hates people who don't take care of their hygiene and treats them cruelly. I would kindly explain to them how to use proper hygiene and why it's better both for their health and for their social standing. I wouldn't ostracize and wouldn't say anything mean. I am not like "normal people".

When I was in elementary school, there was some girl who had dandruff in her hair, and always was dirty, with oily spots of some unknown substance on her dress. Everybody laughed at her, I was the only person who talked nicely to her. She didn't become my friend though, since she was a bit autistic or such.. she didn't seem to notice social interaction at all. (and she wasn't upset by kids who made fun of her)

thank you for the quotes. having believed for a time that isolation was the key to freedom of mind, i stand corrected now. Somehow, there's deeper understanding of such collections of words than the simple, "human are social creatures", but that is the purpose of aphorisms, is it not :) , so our soon to be great aphorist(if you're not one already), do you have any more to share?

Hopefully beyond any mere exhortation of the painfully obvious and sentimental, I selected these quotes for concise expression of specific different essential needs and values of connection and relationship. -And I do concur, such as ought never to undermine autonomy.

But indeed, there is more, which has, I fear, been the more complicated for me to express, in essay form at http://www.FoolQuest.com

Latest posts

Back