Juicing / fat sick and nearly dead.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LonelySutton

Reaction score
Since we all want to lose weight.... I thought I would mention this. I do not know if you saw this movie but it is about juicing. This guy weighted 300 until he did a 60 day veggie juice fast. He lost 100 or so lbs and over 5 years gained about 40 back. It kind of started the whole juicing movement.

The thinking on juicing is that 1 drink gives you the nutrients of more food than you probably could eat in a sitting. In addition it is low in calories so you lose weight. Believe it or not as well, many fruits and veggies do contain protein (and you can also add nuts etc) and so it makes you highly nutrient-ed, with raw veggies (good for enzymes) for low calories. This I like.

The problem for me is that a few years back I did a medically supervised very low calorie diet plan. It was mostly shakes and some small food. I lost 60 lbs but slowly put it back on and then just slid into gaining it back. The issue that happened to me was two fold. The food itself requires prep and taking it with you... and when someone is working and stressed and all... it is hard to keep up. Sure you can keep up for a while but it won't be a lifestyle change until, YOUR LIFESTYLE CHANGES!!

You see this in the movie. Joe, the main guy, is some sort of CEO of his own company. Well of course she can afford to take time out during the day to juice and probably has someone buy the veggies for him. But, Phil, the truck driver Joe meets, doesn't fare so well. Phil is poor and struggles to work for a living and sure as can be -- gains it back.

Secondly, I just got sick to death of the taste of the food. They taught you how to make the food so it would seem different. But in the end, after two years of the same foods. I couldn't take it anymore. I fear that could happen with juicing as well.

I feel like maybe the best route is to two two juice drinks a day, one in the morning and one at night, this would at least assist in getting nutrients. While eating mostly regular food during the day.

Has anyone done juicing? Seen the movie etc?

When anyone says 'juicing' to me, it means something quite different. I've heard the term used thousands of times and it's always been in reference to steroids. Perhaps it's just the company I keep and the places I frequent...

Anyway, I own the movie, but (like so much in my life), I've never got around to actually watching it. I don't believe in these fad diets - they'll help you to lose weight, but they're almost impossible to maintain in the long run. It's far better to eat a balanced diet and exercise a few times a week. It will take you far longer to lose the weight, but you'll have a far better chance of maintaining those losses.

Cavey said:
When anyone says 'juicing' to me, it means something quite different. I've heard the term used thousands of times and it's always been in reference to steroids. Perhaps it's just the company I keep and the places I frequent...

Anyway, I own the movie, but (like so much in my life), I've never got around to actually watching it. I don't believe in these fad diets - they'll help you to lose weight, but they're almost impossible to maintain in the long run. It's far better to eat a balanced diet and exercise a few times a week. It will take you far longer to lose the weight, but you'll have a far better chance of maintaining those losses.

I was going to reply, but then again you said everything I would Cavey. My weight had been up and down for years and I noticed that the easier it dropped the easier it got back again. I had to start gym and healthy eating to realize that, although it takes more time to lose the weight, it's really difficult for it to come back as well.

It is really difficult to defeat the body weight your body is used to so it'll try to make you gain the weight back because that's what your body's normal is.

Seeker_2.0 said:
Cavey said:

I was going to reply, but then again you said everything I would Cavey. My weight had been up and down for years and I noticed that the easier it dropped the easier it got back again. I had to start gym and healthy eating to realize that, although it takes more time to lose the weight, it's really difficult for it to come back as well.

Gotta agree with what these guys have said. It is what I have been doing too, exercising and watching the food intake. It does help if you do it consistently and the weight doesn't come back as easily, I find.

Juicing is the best thing ever if you have health complains, I guess it depends on your body and it doesn't work 100% for everyone, but probably 90% for sure.
I support it unconditionally

I tried juicing many years ago and it was too messy and time consuming for me.
You might try recipes from this site http://www.chefmd.com/. I tried their red beans and rice recipe and it was pretty good. I changed it up and made up my own which I eat regularly. I also eat a lot of salmon, peppers, and soup. You can also lose a lot of weight just by walking.

I loathe these types of diets, and I hate seeing women in my family putting themselves through pain on them. They're the product of a deeply ill culture that teaches people short-term solutions (often preying on their desire for an easy fix) to a long-term problem that shouldn't be common in the first place. Both the junk food and the diet business win from all the boomerang buying, while the people lose. Instead of changing their food and lifestyle, they're going to reach for various products that promise to make the transition easy or even effortless.

Some people need more of a push to start losing pounds than others, but I've never dieted in my life and believe I could lose and keep off 20 pounds if I wanted without buying or subscribing to anything from anyone. All I'd have to do is throw out a little more of my junk food and run more, while I'd still keep my solid food, my carbs, my meat, and my sugar. Just not bringing home soda or chips made jeans that used to be a little tight loose over the course of several months, though they've gotten a little tighter since I started bringing home more hot snacks for the winter...

As far as I'm concerned, whatever weight you're at when you're eating mostly healthy foods and getting in exercise is a perfectly fine weight to be at. The obsession with calories and pounds at the expense of all else does more harm than good. In what sane world does a person who eats home meals with fresh lean meat, vegetables, and fruits without condiments sopped on them look nervously at a snack label before buying and do the math as to whether or not they can "afford" a treat? We even have women who think that meat isn't healthy food, and not because they're ethical vegetarians.

Eat a **** steak, ladies. To hell with calories.

Tealeaf said:
I loathe these types of diets, and I hate seeing women in my family putting themselves through pain on them. They're the product of a deeply ill culture that teaches people short-term solutions (often preying on their desire for an easy fix) to a long-term problem that shouldn't be common in the first place.

You sound like you are really thin and have never had to struggle with any of this in your life. It disgusts me that you think it is an "easy fix" my liquid diet days (and years afterward) was not easy and it was not fast. I would hazard the same about juicing. The amount of discipline it takes to do that, exercise, and work, is a lot.

What I think it the deeply ill culture is the culture where work is so all consuming and bad for our health people are driven to such diets to attempt to lose fast because they know in the workplace -- they can't be sure they will get exercise or good food.

However, I think juicing is not bad per se as a replacement for eating 7 servings of fruits and veggies. Which, you just may not have time for. But, I am not sure about the idea of eating only that. Though I think if I had tried the liquid diet while NOT working I would have done much better, made my goal, and then went into maintenance.

I am still hesitant to try it because of the issues of working / mess. But I see a few used ones for sale on "offer up" so if I can get one cheap I might try it as a daily drink so I can get some liquid nutrition.

actually juicing and raw food/veganism are all but short term, it's a lifestyle that takes a really long time to sink in.
Liquid diet is only of a short period, but a healthy lifestyle without processed food and refined sugar is forever.
This is the ill culture:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food,_Inc.

and I agree, easy fixes are pitiable, but what the movie Fat Sick and Nearly Dead proposes is so not an easy fix. And for me the focus of the movie is not so much on losing weight as rather on becoming healthy (ier) from a number of diseases.

The point with juicing is not just eating faster but a) humans, unlike cows, have trouble digesting huge amounts of vegetables
and b) when you drink the juice without the fibers it is absorbed much faster in the intestines, so it's kind of an "IV" of vitamins.

Only juice for a limited amount of period brings about detoxification effects, and that is why is more effective than just adding juice to one's diet.

LonelySutton said:
I am still hesitant to try it because of the issues of working / mess. But I see a few used ones for sale on "offer up" so if I can get one cheap I might try it as a daily drink so I can get some liquid nutrition.

please get one that does "cold press" (single mastication for example)
because the others warm up during use, eat up all the enzymes and the result is really not tasty (yuck) and not half as healthy

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/08/juicer-types-cold-press_n_2618000.html

LonelySutton said:
Tealeaf said:
I loathe these types of diets, and I hate seeing women in my family putting themselves through pain on them. They're the product of a deeply ill culture that teaches people short-term solutions (often preying on their desire for an easy fix) to a long-term problem that shouldn't be common in the first place.

You sound like you are really thin and have never had to struggle with any of this in your life. It disgusts me that you think it is an "easy fix" my liquid diet days (and years afterward) was not easy and it was not fast. I would hazard the same about juicing. The amount of discipline it takes to do that, exercise, and work, is a lot.

What I think it the deeply ill culture is the culture where work is so all consuming and bad for our health people are driven to such diets to attempt to lose fast because they know in the workplace -- they can't be sure they will get exercise or good food.

However, I think juicing is not bad per se as a replacement for eating 7 servings of fruits and veggies. Which, you just may not have time for. But, I am not sure about the idea of eating only that. Though I think if I had tried the liquid diet while NOT working I would have done much better, made my goal, and then went into maintenance.

Nope. I was a chubby kid. I also watched a lot of women struggle with painful diets who didn't need painful diets, and who wound up not getting proper nutrition or being able to keep their weight off because they were hawked some miracle cure instead of a plain old better lifestyle. I lost weight without paying anyone other than the grocery store a cent.

No arguments about the various aspects of a deeply ill culture.

Peaches said:
The point with juicing is not just eating faster but a) humans, unlike cows, have trouble digesting huge amounts of vegetables
and b) when you drink the juice without the fibers it is absorbed much faster in the intestines, so it's kind of an "IV" of vitamins.

Only juice for a limited amount of period brings about detoxification effects, and that is why is more effective than just adding juice to one's diet.

That would make sense, but for all except the most difficult cases would also be completely unnecessary as their main intake.

You can say I'm some entitled perma-thin person if you want, but my concern is with the mental and emotional health of people in a culture where the outside often matters more than the inside.

Tealeaf said:
That would make sense, but for all except the most difficult cases would also be completely unnecessary as their main intake.

I don't know about that. There are a few studies that suggest the "RDA" of vitamins and minerals are too low. There are studies that show large amounts of Vitamin C and be protective against diseases but is extremely hard to get that much vitamin C in modern life unless you eat that pretty much for every meal. Plus, there is evidence that our modern food has been over farmed and processed so it doesn't have as much of the vitamins and minerals as we have been told.

There are also medications that interfere with intake. Such as Protien Pump Inhibitors which interfere with absorption.

I would prefer to have too much nutrients than too little.

I bought a juicer, and I'm on day 2. I'm not finding it painful or stressful at all. The juice fills me up and I don't feel hungry. I'm just sort of bored now because I have no motivating force to make me want to leave the house and go get a burger. Could life be any more empty than it was… ? Apparently so. I'm hoping that the neurochemicals created by pleasures in food will be replaced by neurochemicals created by vitamins and minerals.

LonelySutton said:
Tealeaf said:

What a baseless, rude assumption to make. Just because someone writes something you don't like doesn't mean they haven't struggled with something like you have.

That said, I agree with Tealeaf on this one. Losing weight doesn't mean doing a "fad" diet, which is what juicing is, whether you like it or not. Losing weight, if you want to keep it off, is a LIFESTYLE change, not just a diet to lose the weight. You have to change what you are doing everywhere, not just drinking your veggies instead of eating them.
My advice would be to focus less of what you are juicing and more on what you are putting in your body and the exercise you are doing. Get a personal trainer if you don't feel you can do it on your own and consult a nutritionist if you need to change your eating habits.

Latest posts

Back