To anyone who will also be alone for New Year's Eve

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiina63

Reaction score
For the last ten years I have been to a local lady's 'open house' on New Year's Eve, but she has decided not to do it anymore, so I will be on my own tonight. After Christmas alone, it is very lonely and depressing.
However, I would like to say to anyone on here who will also be alone this evening and who is also very unhappy about it-let's make a resolution that we will do everything we can in 2015 to build up some sort of better social network to hopefully ensure that we will not be seeing in 2016 alone.

Obviously there is no time for it this year, but if you enjoy these gatherings so much, why don't you continue the tradition and organize them yourself, at least for a trial next year? Just a suggestion.

I don't know enough people to invite. She knows so many more people that I do and she can also ferry them home by car which I can't do as I can't drive.

Tiina63 said:
For the last ten years I have been to a local lady's 'open house' on New Year's Eve, but she has decided not to do it anymore, so I will be on my own tonight. After Christmas alone, it is very lonely and depressing.
However, I would like to say to anyone on here who will also be alone this evening and who is also very unhappy about it-let's make a resolution that we will do everything we can in 2015 to build up some sort of better social network to hopefully ensure that we will not be seeing in 2016 alone.
Count me in 🙆I guess peoples locations is going to be a major factor...I'm in Poole in Dorset and would love to have an alternative to simply attempting to survive the loneliness that has even sharper teeth at this time of year

Buggar I felt quite positive first thing...now that sense of gnawing agitation at being alone at New Years has made it's presence felt...Self medication I guess...with some beer...it's pretty much robbed me of the desire or motivation to even look for distractions....oh sod 😶

Yes, location is the major problem. I am in Cheshire.
I agree with you that loneliness does have even sharper teeth at this time of year. When Christmas comes, I see it as some sort of emotional military campaign-I have to grit my teeth and endure the loneliness it brings.
I had a text from a friend earlier on-I did a thread a couple of months ago which mentioned him. He is a member of the Aspergers group I go to and was in hospital for some weeks and now he is back in hospital again. Like me he has no family. I went over to visit him this afternoon and I find that I am really sad he is in hospital again, but there is part of me that was so glad to have somewhere to go and someone to see. I visited probably as much for my own sake as for his, as I needed so much just to see someone after being alone all over Christmas till the AS group met yesterday. I feel awkward admitting to this, but it is nontheless true.

No reason for you to feel guilty at all it's a basic human need to have contact with others....better to acknowledge it than to attempt even greater measures of self insulation...at least with recognition comes the acceptance of a fundamental need for change and maybe even the means to achieve it

I'm going to be looking at this site all evening...it's a such a better option than being contained within my own head....even if it is rapidly and thankfully filling up with Polish lager so will be here you want to post

Thank you for your understanding. Yes, this Christmas has made me realise fully just how much I need to change my life-I am trying to come up with ways to do this. I already go out socially to a couple of groups a week, but feel now that I ought to be exploring new alternatives.
I will be having a glass of port later on. I have a small glass each night over Christmas and New Year. Lest night I almost drank a glass of soy sauce instead as it is roughly the same colour. Luckily the smell warned me off just in time.

dear Tiina, here we go, I am back home from a couple of really depressing events and I join you in this commitment - change life, change everything.
I will go fetch some soy sauce and drink at your health too.

Don't have any soy sauce, can rice vinegar do?
(love)

Well I'm not alone exactly, this New Year's Eve. When Dad died 13 years ago, I moved into the main house with Mom. She's 91 and mood disordered, almost bi-polar. I'm 61. There's a German Shepherd dog too.....Alsatian to my UK cousins. It's OK I suppose. Not a lot of joy though. We do have soy sauce but I think I'll abstain from any of it.

Latest posts

Back