Potential business ideas

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 115627

It's all so tiresome.
Reaction score
Since most of my business ideas are merely of temporary amusing nature and end up in the circular file anyway, I decided to open up this thread in favor of everybody that has the occasional odd idea, but no place to put it. Here's the place to analyze, discuss, philosophize or to just have a good laugh.

Don't worry, non-profit organizations are welcome.
Pick a random number and maybe one day we'll have enough for a guidebook titled "1000 Sure-As-Hell Ways Not To Get Rich But Entertained At Least".

Courtesy of LadyF who gave me the first idea here and the inspiration for the thread itself while talking about kids' meals and their (still) boring counterpart. :p

Potential business idea #386:
Themed elderly people portions for restaurants.
For those with a rather ironic worldview in their retirement years.
For instance, "Blessed" roastbeef with french fries "laid to rest" - all the fries are arranged as little crosses.

Well I have long said this but no one apparently has taken me up on it. A peer to peer place where men and women (or men and men / women women) can meet for platonic purposes. A match.com without the pressure of "love".

- need someone to get your family off your back? Find someone here with the same problem.
- need someone to advance your career by being your "for work purposes" significant other?
- need someone just to go to the movies with and feel weird going alone?
- need a person for the x-mas party!?

Frankly, I don't think I would even mind paying a small amount. If we have uber I don't see what would be wrong with that. That might even weed out the creeps because they wouldn't get paid if they did something bad.

Also, on dating site, a different type of platform. Right now there is the profiles etc. But I think that is a mistake. I think a better thing would be a community where people could talk (about general world things) but also have like a profile. I think that works better to make sucessful matches.

Finally, this is in the world of -- just do the job well. My condo has one bad management company after another. Because "they know" this isn't something someone starts and there aren't that many around. Find something that the industry sucks at. One way you can find that is checking yelp. Look at industries and if you see a lot of bad reviews...

Rodent said:
For instance, "Blessed" roastbeef with french fries "laid to rest" - all the fries are arranged as little crosses.

That still cracks me up as I read it just now. :D

LonelySutton said:
Also, on dating site, a different type of platform. Right now there is the profiles etc. But I think that is a mistake. I think a better thing would be a community where people could talk (about general world things) but also have like a profile. I think that works better to make sucessful matches.

I would actually agree with this because I think one very good way to get to know someone is in reading about what they think or how they think of various topics. It's like this forum, but if it's a place where people can talk about their issues and we get to see the different views and opinions from specific members. Same goes for dating sites.

It's hard to really know someone just by reading their profile and to strike up a private conversation seems to usually end badly from what I observe of other people's experiences. So having topics in a little community out there being discussed makes it easier to strike up conversations with one another because you can ride on that to start having private conversations afterwards.

Potential business idea #861:
Verbal abuse service contractor.
Sadistic employees serve masochistic customers their daily payload of deprecation with highest professionality. With receipts and money-back-guarantee if you don't feel as bad as desired after our sessions.
Phone service and house visits.

I thought this was a pretty good idea until I realized that this line of work is in full state control already and offered by most municipal authorities for free. At least here in Germany.

Let's say someone loves to create things. Things as in, robots, or simple mechanisms, machines, or DIY projects. The difficult thing for them is to get the machines, workplace, tools etc.
For example someone wants to Design, then manufacture, test and operate a robot. The problem for him will be that for 1. getting different parts, he will have to go to different stores. 2. getting one operation done on one place, then another on another (for example 3D printing, then to the welder, then to the carpenter, etc). Not only that, he doesn't get to do those operations himself. After that he might need workspace. And a lot of other things.

So, a place where by paying a monthly fee, he can use all the machines such as 3D printer, lathe, drills, soldering machine, etc. kept in one place. Not only that, but also Computers with CAD and CAM software and that are connected with 3D printers. So he can use the computer to design, then to simulate and analyze, then print it, then modify it and complete his project at a single place, all on his own, without having to buy the necessary expensive machinery and looking for a spacious place, not in home.

Then, by making the project, that he can use it anywhere, he can register it to our shop and earn credit. That credit can be used instead of money to buy purchase components from our shop, like motors, LEDs, MCs, metal jobs, wires, breadboards, etc.

Potential Business Idea #202
The Gene Bank
Here people can hand in their unwanted, already used or otherwise tradable genes.
Got a cancer gene you don't want? Give it to the poor lady who wants an operation to not have her period, but won't get it. Trade it for that green-eyed gene you always wanted, but someone else did not.

Potential Business Idea #203
The Hug Bank
Borrow hugs, then pay them back after a while with some interest.

Rodent said:
Potential business idea #861:
Verbal abuse service contractor.
Sadistic employees serve masochistic customers their daily payload of deprecation with highest professionality. With receipts and money-back-guarantee if you don't feel as bad as desired after our sessions.
Phone service and house visits.

I thought this was a pretty good idea until I realized that this line of work is in full state control already and offered by most municipal authorities for free. At least here in Germany.

Where do I hand in my resume :club:

Potential Business Idea #774.8
The Probabilitestabilizer
Undefined thingy that makes tiny previously impossible things possible - such as playing skyrim with someone else with different mods, getting a cool christmas present from grandma or stop hitting your toe on that one doorstep you really think is misplaced.

Business idea; Rent-A-Hand.

Free to use matchmaking platform where, for a fee, you hire someone to help you with whatever it is you're doing. Need help constructing a mill? Hire hands to help you out. Need help studying for an exam? Hire someone who'll help you get better at it. Want someone to watch tv with because you're lonely or need psychological support? Hire someone for the evening to specifically take care of you.

I guess this would more or less fall under "match.com without the sex or necessarily personal nature" of the meetings. This would be for as much practical reasons as it would be for personal reasons. Also, done by members on a completely voluntary basis, only the Agency (website, physical agency?) would receive a modest administration fee for services. Anything else between matched people would be on a purely voluntary basis.

Another along the same lines, this one if possible partly funded by the governement, which started around here recently; Help an Elder.

Many older people sometimes live mildly cut off from society or friends or family and feel lonely, not to mention being 70 makes some mundane tasks harder. So, in effect, you offer the services of someone younger as temporary cohabitation (or permanently in the case of say, someone who's 30). Ideal for students, you match up a younger person with an older person and they live in cohabitation. Younger person or student gets a credit to add to his academia or personal profile and gets compensated by the governement for caretaking, older person gets companionship and friendship as well as someone to help them get to the grocery store, pay their bills, do things only or explain computer skills, etc. which reduces the costs of having a full time nurse or attendant going 1-3 times a week and not being present all the time.

Naturally, matching services would be for a small, reasonable fee to both for the initial meet.

Let's say someone loves to create things. Things as in, robots, or simple mechanisms, machines, or DIY projects. The difficult thing for them is to get the machines, workplace, tools etc.
For example someone wants to Design, then manufacture, test and operate a robot. The problem for him will be that for 1. getting different parts, he will have to go to different stores. 2. getting one operation done on one place, then another on another (for example 3D printing, then to the welder, then to the carpenter, etc). Not only that, he doesn't get to do those operations himself. After that he might need workspace. And a lot of other things.

So, a place where by paying a monthly fee, he can use all the machines such as 3D printer, lathe, drills, soldering machine, etc. kept in one place. Not only that, but also Computers with CAD and CAM software and that are connected with 3D printers like Creality. So he can use the computer to design, then to simulate and analyze, then print it, then modify it and complete his project at a single place, all on his own, without having to buy the necessary expensive machinery and looking for a spacious place, not in home.

Then, by making the project, that he can use it anywhere, he can register it to our shop and earn credit. That credit can be used instead of money to buy purchase components from our shop, like motors, LEDs, MCs, metal jobs, wires, breadboards, etc.
I like this idea! I am busy with restoration of old speakers, and I fully realized that this is not as easy as it seemed to me at first glance. I was able to print the parts, but I needed new cases and had to order them because I just don't have the space and tools to build the cases. To get them, you have to pay for materials, work, shipping...

Our neighbour next door loves to feed the pigeons. He’s a nice old fellow and it’s one of his only hobbies, so we’ve never tried to dissuade him from feeding the birds. Anyway, over the years the flock has grown from a handful of birds to at least 200+ and they perch here year-round. Because there’s so many **** birds, they’ve started coming over to our yard, shitting all over our roof, yard and outdoor furniture and really pissing us off. We’d been trying to think of a way to talk to our neighbour without hurting his feelings, but then nature conveniently took over.

A couple of months ago, we found a Groshawk in our backyard, feasting on a freshly caught pigeon. Since then, the hawk has been hanging around the neighbourhood and picking off the pigeon flock one-by-one - after all, easy food source, right? It’s been fantastic! Most of the pigeons have pretty much vacated the rooftops and buggered off somewhere else.

So, problem solved - thanks to this handy hawk. Which leads to my business idea: wouldn’t it be wonderful to have a trained hawk that could covertly get rid of other annoying neighbouhood nuisances? And that couldn’t be traced to you - “it’s just nature in action, officer.” Case in point: the yappy little mutt that lives next door on our other side. Ladies and gentlemen, I introduce you to Hit Hawk! Hire out our specially-trained hawk and let him swoop in and care of the business you don’t want to. Tired of the neighbourhood cat taking a crap in your freshly planted veggie garden? Hit Hawk is on the job. Neighbours outside partying and screaming until the wee hours, blasting their crap music? With Hit Hawk, they won’t know what hit them!

Disclaimer: yes, this business is totally in jest in case there’s some here that think I’m serious. I have no intention of offing my neighbour’s beloved pets, as much as I might like to sometimes. 😂🤪

Our neighbour next door loves to feed the pigeons. He’s a nice old fellow and it’s one of his only hobbies, so we’ve never tried to dissuade him from feeding the birds. Anyway, over the years the flock has grown from a handful of birds to at least 200+ and they perch here year-round. Because there’s so many **** birds, they’ve started coming over to our yard, shitting all over our roof, yard and outdoor furniture and really pissing us off. We’d been trying to think of a way to talk to our neighbour without hurting his feelings, but then nature conveniently took over.

A couple of months ago, we found a Groshawk in our backyard, feasting on a freshly caught pigeon. Since then, the hawk has been hanging around the neighbourhood and picking off the pigeon flock one-by-one - after all, easy food source, right? It’s been fantastic! Most of the pigeons have pretty much vacated the rooftops and buggered off somewhere else.

So, problem solved - thanks to this handy hawk. Which leads to my business idea: wouldn’t it be wonderful to have a trained hawk that could covertly get rid of other annoying neighbouhood nuisances? And that couldn’t be traced to you - “it’s just nature in action, officer.” Case in point: the yappy little mutt that lives next door on our other side. Ladies and gentlemen, I introduce you to Hit Hawk! Hire out our specially-trained hawk and let him swoop in and care of the business you don’t want to. Tired of the neighbourhood cat taking a crap in your freshly planted veggie garden? Hit Hawk is on the job. Neighbours outside partying and screaming until the wee hours, blasting their crap music? With Hit Hawk, they won’t know what hit them!

Disclaimer: yes, this business is totally in jest in case there’s some here that think I’m serious. I have no intention of offing my neighbour’s beloved pets, as much as I might like to sometimes. 😂🤪
Our local authority uses various birds of prey to control the pigeons, squirrels, magpies, crows, ravens, rats and any other small animals they deem to be pests, unfortunately hooded, knife wielding teenagers are not covered. We're a Royal Borough, don't you know, can't have any unsightly pests scaring the tourists innit.

I always thought it would be cool to create a custom action figure line -
like with various parts that you could mix and match and create your own characters.

I loved the franchise stuff from growing up, but at the same time a part of me always wanted to make my own characters versus only being able to play with someone else's.

That would be a fun business to be in, but I think it would be expensive though. Part of the reason that toy companies (or other types of companies) profit, is that they're able to churn out thousands, or even millions of copies of something, and spread the cost that it took to make the thing over all those units. And you'll attract customers because you won't have to charge as much per unit either, to make a profit.

Oh well, one can dream!

Since the food industry has been so manhandled during the pandemic, with big monster chains buying out small independents; Rent a Cook.
Making a deal with professional cooks straight out of school to allow them to get experience, you can hire a professional cook to help you create and cook your meals. Fees depending on the number of plates to be cooked, could be for 4 to 50 or so people (so as to not cross over to the catering industry). You buy your own ingredients, supply the kitchen and appliances and a professional cook will come to your home and cook for you. Would be ideal for busy families with both parents working and spruce up the usual with ideas. Hourly wages for the cook to be determined.

Latest posts

Back