Bring back the Goths and Electropunkz

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cumulus.james

Reaction score
I say it's high time we bought back the Goths and Electropunks.

We've had a decade of boybands, x-factor kareoke bollocks, R n' B and non stop "singer songwriters" whose blandness has merged into quite the most revolting shade of beige.

It makes me nauseous.

They shut down Trash Palice nightclub and built Sainburys or something.

Where's the new Depeche Mode, Cure, NIN?

There are plenty, but they don't get portrayed in mainstream media anymore so you have to dig more to find them.

I was Goth late in the scene, early 2000s. We had our VNV Nation, Wumpscut, Covenant, etc. I tried to revisit the local Goth club a couple years back and recapture a bit of my youth. They played Lady Gaga. Sigh.

Rosebolt said:
There are plenty, but they don't get portrayed in mainstream media anymore so you have to dig more to find them.

I am too old to go digging for new bands now.

Amthorn said:
I was Goth late in the scene, early 2000s. We had our VNV Nation, Wumpscut, Covenant, etc. I tried to revisit the local Goth club a couple years back and recapture a bit of my youth. They played Lady Gaga. Sigh.

I remember VNV Nation. Frika.

Cure and NIN are unmatched in my book, I gave up looking for new bands as well, the great old bands do it for me.

Seeker_2.0 said:
Cure and NIN are unmatched in my book, I gave up looking for new bands as well, the great old bands do it for me.

I had tickets for NIN in the mid 2000's, I was meant to go with a goth tranny. The ***** stood me up. I just salked I should have just gone on a forum and got anyone. Could have met a like minded friend, I keep missing opportunities like that.

They tried to start an alternative venue in my town. It folded after a year. It's all the fault of fakebook and x-factor. Before then you had MySpace which could be endlessly customized. Then came the bland uniformity of fakebook.

Kids don't listen to whole albums now. Isn't that a sad thing.

cumulus.james said:
Seeker_2.0 said:

I had tickets for NIN in the mid 2000's, I was meant to go with a goth tranny. The ***** stood me up. I just salked I should have just gone on a forum and got anyone. Could have met a like minded friend, I keep missing opportunities like that.

They tried to start an alternative venue in my town. It folded after a year. It's all the fault of fakebook and x-factor. Before then you had MySpace which could be endlessly customized. Then came the bland uniformity of fakebook.

Psychologists do claim that facebook and other modern social media have turned youngsters to attention-span deficient beings. They learn to want everything immediately, instant reading (blogs, not books), instant listening (singles, not albums), instant gratification (sex, not relationships) and the list goes on. I want to believe that this is not true, but seeing how youths act in my everyday life i think it is true...

Good luck getting people to listen to the whole hour-plus Disintegration for example :p

cumulus.james said:

I second that. I'm somebody that still enjoys albums as a whole. In fact I usually go beyond that and try to get my hands on full discographies. It's always fascinating to see (or hear) what sort of progress and reinvention a band experiences throughout the years.

Seeker_2.0 said:
cumulus.james said:
Seeker_2.0 said:

Psychologists do claim that facebook and other modern social media have turned youngsters to attention-span deficient beings. They learn to want everything immediately, instant reading (blogs, not books), instant listening (singles, not albums), instant gratification (sex, not relationships) and the list goes on. I want to believe that this is not true, but seeing how youths act in my everyday life i think it is true...

Good luck getting people to listen to the whole hour-plus Disintegration for example :p

I think it's true

cumulus.james said:
Seeker_2.0 said:
cumulus.james said:
Seeker_2.0 said:

I think it's true

I once played a 20 minute Throbbing Gristle track ('Very Friendly' - about the Moors Murderers!) through three times to the man I lived with. He was not amused.

Rodent said:
cumulus.james said:

I second that. I'm somebody that still enjoys albums as a whole. In fact I usually go beyond that and try to get my hands on full discographies. It's always fascinating to see (or hear) what sort of progress and reinvention a band experiences throughout the years.

I third that. I sometimes dig out full discographies too. (Sometimes it's just my OCD part of me that has to listen to everything the band has.)

Ioann said:
I once played a 20 minute Throbbing Gristle track ('Very Friendly' - about the Moors Murderers!) through three times to the man I lived with. He was not amused.

Now i have to go dig up some Throbbing Gristle.

Is no one here rich? They closed down slimelight. All homogeneous bars playing crappy r n b honeysuckle now. Let's fresia em off and build a new alt nightclub, inspired by H R Geiger. The One Direction generation won't know what hit them.

I be 16. 1996. The club is called Zeus. Statues of characters from Greek myths either side of the door. The floor is made of some weird synthetic material which feels wholly bizarre and unnatural to walk on. Smoke, lasers and strobes bombard the senses as the bass and scattering thud of "No Good" by The Prodigy resonates through every atom, shaking the fresia out of each and every one. Everything was new, exciting, weird, even alien.

Bon Jovi were dead to me from that day on.

The "pop/boy band/american idol" argument to me is becoming irrelevant these days, the more accurate description would be smartphone/trap/terrible rap/EDM/ubiquitous global culture/new world order soundtrack that the youth are eating up now. I mean, people of all walks of life are being recruited to make and support this monotonous filth made by untalented millennials, it's the sound of globalism being implemented to the cheers of the stoned masses while electromagnetic waves pump through them like blood. Hell, I'd take top 40 radio 15 years ago over anything anyone is putting out now, mainstream or independent. Sorry people, goths won't be making a comeback (at least the look won't go beyond a mall clothing store), and same goes for all the other cool little dead subcultures we romanticize.

Nullgeist said:
The "pop/boy band/american idol" argument to me is becoming irrelevant these days, the more accurate description (at least where I'm at in the world) would be smartphone/trap/terrible rap/EDM/ubiquitous global culture/new world order soundtrack that the youth are eating up now. I mean, people of all walks of life are being recruited to make and support this monotonous filth made by untalented millennials, it's the sound of globalism being implemented to the cheers of the stoned masses while electromagnetic waves pump through them like blood. Hell, I'd take top 40 radio 15 years ago over anything anyone is putting out now, mainstream or independent. Sorry people, goths won't be making a comeback (at least the look won't go beyond a mall clothing store), and same goes for all the other cool little dead subcultures we romanticize.

Such passionate cynicism! Who says Goth is dead? Lol

cumulus.james said:
I say it's high time we bought back the Goths and Electropunks.

We've had a decade of boybands, x-factor kareoke bollocks, R n' B and non stop "singer songwriters" whose blandness has merged into quite the most revolting shade of beige.

It makes me nauseous.

They shut down Trash Palice nightclub and built Sainburys or something.

Where's the new Depeche Mode, Cure, NIN?

Alot more things will make you nauseous as you get older because music, people culture etc is constantly changing. Everything comes back around eventually though so if you hang around long enough youll see it again albeit slightly "different" or thats how theyll sell it anyway. The bands selling their soul to the bank scenario has been going on a lot longer than a few years. I miss good music too and decent television, thats why now i just look for stuff on the net and gave up on radio tv and music television, its all a bunch of crap usually so i avoid it.

Depeche mode, the Cure and NIN are awesome btw. Theres a LOT of things i wish would make a comeback.

Goths did make a sort of comeback in the mid 2000 only they called themselves EMO and anyone over 18 was barred (I was 24 so they excluded me). You might have seen 14 yr olds and 50 yr olds at a NIN gig. If such a scene ever crops up again it's likely to deliberately exclude anyone over 16 and like with the EMO clothes of the mid 2000's any fashion that comes out of it will be skintight and only available in Abercrombie and Fitch or something.

It's boring being a 30 something in this decade. Truly boring.

Don't want to wear a gray suit and listen to Ed Sheehan.

Latest posts

Back