Elder Scrolls!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Rosebolt

Rodent said:
Before I lose myself in more off-topic anthems about my favorite weaponry, I may propose to just open up a general Elder Scrolls thread in the Computer/Video Games section. I know there have been some more specific ones before.
In any case, it's never too late to pick up a conversation on common interest...

Well, there we go. For the record, Mehrunes Razor is great!

Alright then. You're a quick one, Rosebolt. :p

Personally I prefer dual-wielding weapons and Mehrunes' Razor is usually one of them. Miraak's Sword is the other one...if I can't get my hands on it, any upgraded Daedric or Ebony Sword does the trick.

And the addition of crossbows with Dawnguard also got me to put some focus on archery.

As a matter of fact, i started playing Skyrim again yesterday since, i think a year or so. I made a pretty standard Wood Elf archer, who dual wields daggers when necessary. Sneak, and my 100th attempt to get into alchemy. Lately i've been interested in different special ops forces from countries around the world, so i drew my inspiration for that in creating a character. I also felt like being a sneak again. So that's where that came from.

I tend to be drawn to a battlemage type of play, though preferably no blunt weapons, i like the weapons sharp, clear, not as messy, etc.

I've only beaten the Dragonborn DLC once so far, but i will definately do it again. I remember not being able to wear any of the new armours because they did not fit the character, so i suppose i was a pure mage, which seems odd for me. Probably a vampire of some sort.

I'm thinking about starting fresh off myself. Last time I did that was in August/September 2014 when I created yet another Argonian in the tradition that I had ever since I played Oblivion for the first time. Always Argonian...but water breathing isn't that effective in Skyrim anymore. Histskin helps though, since he was yet another Tank character that just takes and deals a lot of damage. Skilled in Heavy Armor, Block, One-Handed-Weapons and Smithing.

And then there's the other character who's Level 111 now with more than 100 hours on his record. Virtually unbeatable, even by mages. And oh boy, I struggle with higher-level mages all the way through this game. A jack-of-all-trades Khajiit, but I think I had planned to turn him into a thief in the beginning. In the end I still solved most "problems" with sword and dagger. I wonder how I even managed to hold onto him for so long cause I never had any real tactics except for a Kamikaze playstyle that involved cutting everything and everyone up as quick as possible. :D

Never had much love for magic. I'm just not talented enough to make use of it properly. Except for Restoration maybe cause it's horrible to rely on potions alone. Been trying to level Alchemy as well, but that's more of a financial issue. Home-made potions fetch a nice price and since I just pick any ingredient up that I can find anyway...

Well, in case I create a new character the good old "Think of a good name" game will start all over again. Every single time before I even put any thought in which race I should pick. My range is limited anyway for I always prefer the beast races. Orc is fine too though. I tried that two times and fared well enough.

In general I prefer sharp weapons myself because they just make sneaking easier. I was a bit more ambigious towards blunt Weapons in Oblivion because they were more flexible back then. Now there aren't even many good unique ones in Skyrim...

No love for the Wabbajack? C'mon. Who doesn't love turning Draugr into sweetrolls? :D
I usually use the average heavy weapon, but I keep the Sanguine Rose and the Wabbajack as backup. Oh, and with a Kajjit in jester clothes.

Mr Seal The Albatros said:
No love for the Wabbajack? C'mon. Who doesn't love turning Draugr into sweetrolls? :D

Bad experiences in Oblivion are at fault. :rolleyes:
I was always afraid of accidently turning a weak bandit into yet another Daedroth or Xivilai to munch away (not literally). Daedra were a lot more intimidating back then...but mostly just numerous.

Speaking of Daedric artificts, I'm missing Goldbrand and Umbra very often. But I'm glad they added the Ebony Mail instead which is just as useful as a piece of armor.

The Elder Scrolls has always set off my OCD. Fallout does the same thing. I've spent literally thousands of hours on each of them. I have to visit every map marker, find every hidden easter egg, own every unique weapon, find every bobble head, every magazine, every skill book... or in the case of Oblivion, own the world's largest collection of paintbrushes - don't ask.

Morrowind remains one of my favourite games ever. I feel that TES went downhill after that point - they started to be dumbed down for the mass market and features that were commonplace in TES up until that point were removed.

Even though they essentially robbed me of my life, I can't say that I didn't enjoy them, because I really did. The next one will be the first Bethesda created game to be released since I started actually living a life, so I'm not sure how that's going to work out...

I've played so much Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim that the themes are on repeat in my skull. ES 6 Argonia next year!!!

I try to install as many mods as possible. I played through the whole game and both DLCs vanilla, so now I use it more for sandboxing. There are some cool vampire lord mods, and if you install certain other mods, you can have up to 28 followers, all of which you can turn into vampire lords too :) combine that with the zombie apocalypse mod, and you have an all out vampire/zombie war across skyrim!

Mr Seal The Albatros said:
I usually use the average heavy weapon, but I keep the Sanguine Rose and the Wabbajack as backup. Oh, and with a Kajjit in jester clothes.

I love it when it turns a Vampire Master into a bunny rabbit, then it just hops away!

Cavey said:
Morrowind remains one of my favourite games ever. I feel that TES went downhill after that point - they started to be dumbed down for the mass market and features that were commonplace in TES up until that point were removed.

Something i hear very often. I started out with Oblivion, and it was to me a better game than Skyrim for the same reason. I tend to believe people when they say Morrowing was better than Oblivion. I think i got two hours or so in morrowind, never really sat down for it. Perhaps some day.

Rosebolt said:
Cavey said:

Something i hear very often. I started out with Oblivion, and it was to me a better game than Skyrim for the same reason. I tend to believe people when they say Morrowing was better than Oblivion. I think i got two hours or so in morrowind, never really sat down for it. Perhaps some day.

It's very old school. No hand holding. No map markers. Limited fast travel options. Nothing to stop you butchering people or selling items that are necessary for the quests. You have to live with the repercussions of your actions.

It's far more open than any of the games that followed in the series. It's also the last of the TES games that did not level with your character.

I recommend you give it a go sometime. Once you get past the opening few hours, it's a great experience. Even better after installing the available graphical mods.

There is also a pretty ambitious Skywind project where they are remapping the entire Morrowind game into the Skyrim engine. Who knows if it will ever be finished.

Cavey said:
Rosebolt said:
Cavey said:

It's very old school. No hand holding. No map markers. Limited fast travel options. Nothing to stop you butchering people or selling items that are necessary for the quests. You have to live with the repercussions of your actions.

It's far more open than any of the games that followed in the series. It's also the last of the TES games that did not level with your character.

I recommend you give it a go sometime. Once you get past the opening few hours, it's a great experience. Even better after installing the available graphical mods.

Yeah, i really should. I have played the Requiem mod for skyrim, it was great fun. I died alot, but clearing out a bandit camp was so rewarding. Here it is on the Nexus: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/19281/?

And yes Amthron, i've also heard of Skywind, and Skyblivion, hehe. They sound very tempting when they will be released.

I started playing Skyrim again about a month ago but my progress is quite slow due to my busy schedule. My character is a wood elf so I am completely into archery. I was more fascinated with close quarters combat in my previous playthrough but Sneak attacks are more fun than I thought. It is obvious that I am going with light armor. Spending some perks in conjuration would be very helpful, as I want to have bound bow skill too.
I am not rushing into just completing the game so I guess it’s not going to end soon.

sanguineRose said:
I started playing Skyrim again about a month ago but my progress is quite slow due to my busy schedule. My character is a wood elf so I am completely into archery. I was more fascinated with close quarters combat in my previous playthrough but Sneak attacks are more fun than I thought. It is obvious that I am going with light armor. Spending some perks in conjuration would be very helpful, as I want to have bound bow skill too.
I am not rushing into just completing the game so I guess it’s not going to end soon.

Wood elf? NOOOOOOOO!!!
Haha. Just kidding. Cool! I find if you botch a sneak attack and have some points for conjuration, you could try summoning an atronarch to cover your escape or at least distract the guards.

Amthorn said:
There is also a pretty ambitious Skywind project where they are remapping the entire Morrowind game into the Skyrim engine. Who knows if it will ever be finished.

That actually sounds kind of cool. Would be nice to see what the finished project is.

Morrowind is the pinnacle of the series; beautiful, haunting world to explore, memorable story. Oblivion and Skyrim are, IMO, where Bethesda lost their mojo and became generic.

There's a major graphics overhaul that brings the game's visuals up to modern standards.

MGSO 3.0: http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/...s.com/morrowind/ajax/modfiles/?id=36945&pUp=1

It also fixes quite a few bugs and rebalances a few things. Installation is a breeze, the installer guides the user through every step. Of course you need to buy the game first..

Edit: Skywind might also be worth waiting for, since the all the npc dialogue will be voice acted.

Reading this thread makes me want to play Skyrim again. ^_^ I don't even remember how many mods I used, haha... Too many though and it made my computer sooo slooow. >.<

If anyone is interested in TES: Online, it's dropping it's subscription fee from March. It's nothing like a traditional Elder Scrolls game, but it does share the same lore and can be an entertaining diversion for an hour or two.

Always with the Imperial Legion. Probably because I play beast characters mostly and the Stormcloaks aren't very fond of "cats" and "lizards". :p

...which reminds me. I should really continue with my latest character.

I always play the Legion.

Given what you find out about Ulfric during the main quest, it seems the saner choice. The Stormcloaks are xenophobic zealots while the Thalmor (not that you can join them or anything) are Tamriel's equivalent to the Nazi party. The Empire, for all its flaws, is at least trying to foster peace and tolerance between the different peoples.

Latest posts

Back