affirmation of isolation

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickey

Reaction score
Forming groups is a 3.4-billion-year old activity. The earliest life on earth, long before there was any such thing as eating or sex or shelter, formed colonies. There's no way to get rid of the need to be part of a group; it's too fundamental to us. Our bodies and brains are also groups of cells and organelles.

But on a human level, we can celebrate the ability to build a layer of autohomy on top of the stifling nature of belonging. Our need for others is atavistic and makes us less than human. We have to satisfy it to some extent, but we can, with our human minds, recognize that it is pernicious and do what we can to make it as little a nuisance as possible. The layer of autonomy I'm talking about is just a partial autonomy built on top of the support structures of our material civilization. Our food and shelter is easy to obtain with minimal effort and interaction, so we can concentrate on what really matters: the privilege of being free inside our minds.

Hope that made some sense.

I thought that we could always be free inside our minds, it's actually the only absolute freedom that we can have. No one can tell us how to think, or affect our thinking in any way (yet).

Our need for others probably is atavistic but I disagree that it makes us less than human.

People living without other people are demonstrably impaired by the lack of social contact.

I'd say that our need for others is a defining characteristic of humanity....inescapably so....else why there are as many of us as there are, turning to online sites like this for some contact with other people?

Latest posts

Back