what OS do you use?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What OS do you use?

• Windows

Votes: 28 77.8%
  • OS X or other Mac

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Linux-based

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • BSD-based

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
I've run Win 7, Win 8.1, and various Linux distros. Currently I'm trying out LMDE.

I had been using Windows XP for the last 10 or so years, have a new computer that came with Windows 7 Pro. So far so good.

I use Windows 7, chose it instead of 8, though I am very interested in what the new Windows 10 is going to be like! :|

A Louis Wain Cat said:
I had been using Windows XP for the last 10 or so years, have a new computer that came with Windows 7 Pro. So far so good.
LOL...still using XP at home as well as the variant, TinyXP. Use Windows 7 at work and just don't like it.

I've got Windows 7 64Bit on my Laptop and my gaming rig. I've got Windows 8.1 64bit on my other multimedia desktop.

I'd be perfectly happy to use a Linux based operating system if they were compatible with more games.

wolvesjr said:
Using Windows 7 and desperately avoiding Windows 8.

It's nowhere near as bad as you'd imagine. It used to be awful, but since it got updated to 8.1 and the start menu got added back in, it's pretty much fine. It's certainly far faster to start up than Windows 7. My multimedia desktop boots from cold in less than 10 seconds and that's without fast boot being enabled.

I have all 3 at home, Win7, Win 8 and also Mac (from which I currently post). I prefer Win7 and I don't like Win8 and its "adjustments" at all. But also I have to admit that I am still not completely familiar with Os X yet. There are so many little things that are entirely differently solved that it's not that easy at first (and I have it just about 3 months now). In the end it's all about getting used to it, just like with anything.

Windows Vista on my laptop (don't judge me - I don't have a licence of Windows 7), Mac OS on the Apple devices I have and an XP machine back at the ex's house.

I tried Ubuntu and Mint Linux but they were such utter pains in the arse to use I went back to Windows. I have a lot of neck-beareded IT colleagues who swear by Linux but frankly it does nothing for me. Someone said "Linux is only free if your time is worth nothing" and they're dead right.

Cavey said:
I've got Windows 7 64Bit on my Laptop and my gaming rig. I've got Windows 8.1 64bit on my other multimedia desktop.

I'd be perfectly happy to use a Linux based operating system if they were compatible with more games.

My situation as well lately. I'm playing a game (an old game, but still one you can't play in LInux) and for that Windows is essential. I tried multibooting for a while but got tired of it and now just use Win 7. But I run the 32-bit version of Win 7 on a 64-bit box because of better performance.

I have an 12 year old desktop running Lubuntu Linux 14.04 LTS, and a Macbook (1.5 years old) running 10.10 Yosemite.

I despise Windows, simply because things are more difficult. Sure, more applications are compatible with it, but it's a mess to set up and fix. You plug something into the Linux or Mac, on the other hand, and everything just works. No Blue Screens of death anymore. :)

I discovered a way to play my game in Linux: use an old version that is essentially considered abandonware by the copyright owner. The older version of the game (dating back to about 2004) is also more enjoyable than the most recent version, as well as being much smaller on the hard drive and much better performing on an old computer. The old version I now play always ran fine on Wine and it runs great on Wine 1.6 (which is the current version in my Linux distro's repository). So I think I've pretty much said goodbye to Windows for the time being.

Latest posts

Back