What do you think this means and if they are religious , why do they care?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stork_error

Reaction score
This part - to abstain from sexual misconduct and sensual overindulgence

Why is this relevant to buddhists?

Its found in this description…
"The moral code within Buddhism is the precepts, of which the main five are: not to take the life of anything living, not to take anything not freely given, to abstain from sexual misconduct and sensual overindulgence, to refrain from untrue speech, and to avoid intoxication, that is, losing mindfulness"

I just want to know why they think too much sex is bad. Religions see it as bad because the bible sort of insinuates it, but why do buddhists think its bad?

How does a buddhist define "sexual misconduct" or sexual overindulgence"?

Im not looking for the right answer, I prefer opinions, please chime in?

Maybe it is a case of you are not thinking straight when you are over indulging etc.

How many people have made bad decisions under lust?

She-ra said:
Maybe it is a case of you are not thinking straight when you are over indulging etc.

How many people have made bad decisions under lust?

^
Good point.

The body is a temple (I believe that may be a precept in other religions). Sexual misconduct (rape, anonymous sex, etc) is a violation on the body.
I'm not sure if Buddhism is considered a religion but all the major religions have rules related to sex.
I'm a non-believer of any religion but I like to learn and I spent a weekend at a Buddhist retreat with a friend here in northern California a few years ago. Even knowingly stepping on an ant while you are walking is considered disrespectful. They had a pool there but asked guests to cover up while walking to and from the pool area. I guess not everyone wants to see various body parts of strangers hanging out.

-Teresa

Sorry its supposed to say : "isn't a religion"… NOT "is a religion". I wrote it wrong.

But yes, which is my point, if they aren't a religion why do they have conservative views on sex?

So one should deny themselves sexual pleasure to be a good Buddhist? That word " overindulgence" is really subjective. At what point does overindulging happen? 2 times a week 3 times 4 times 10 times 20 times?

Body is a temple why? Based on who says so?

Its true what she ra said, that the only logic behind it is that pleasure chemicals can make people nuts and then they make poor decisions because they cant be in the moment or mindful when their head is elsewhere.

Humanity is so stupid and complicated, who the hell made us?

I think Buddhism is founded on the precept that denial of the self, of the physical world, is the key to attaining a higher level of consciousness.

By overcoming our base, selfish desires for the things that give us pleasure (food, sex, drugs, etc.), we can begin to live a purer existence and are closer to knowing enlightenment.

Or something. :D

I think that the idea is right action. It doesn't say that iverindulgance is bad exactly, just that it should be avoided in order to achieve inner peace. Overindulgence and misconduct of any kind can be harmful, because both can lead to debilitation of the hody and mind. Note that overindulgence and misconduct are not defined here. If you are in a consenual swinging relationship and swapping partners regularly, taking reasonable precautions, that may not be overindulgence for you, unless it interferes with other aspects of your life. It's like overeating; different people have different dietary needs, but when you've eaten too much, you know it.

Sex for fun is, in my opinion, not that bad, but it is primitive. Buddhists wants to be anything else, than primitive. At least I think so ... though they fail (since they have an belief system).

stork_error said:
Sorry its supposed to say : "isn't a religion"… NOT "is a religion". I wrote it wrong.

But yes, which is my point, if they aren't a religion why do they have conservative views on sex?

So one should deny themselves sexual pleasure to be a good Buddhist? That word " overindulgence" is really subjective. At what point does overindulging happen? 2 times a week 3 times 4 times 10 times 20 times?

Body is a temple why? Based on who says so?

In the spirit of what I know about Buddhism, perhaps you will gain self-awareness when you figure out why you are focusing on this particular Buddhist idea (instead of the others you listed above) :)
I believe "the body is a temple" is found in the Christian bible; I'm too lazy to google it at the moment.

-Teresa

lifestream said:
I think Buddhism is founded on the precept that denial of the self, of the physical world, is the key to attaining a higher level of consciousness.

By overcoming our base, selfish desires for the things that give us pleasure (food, sex, drugs, etc.), we can begin to live a purer existence and are closer to knowing enlightenment.

Or something. :D

So this means that the buddhists see something changes in the behaviours of humans when the pleasure chemical loops are dismantled. So somehow by removing the source of the temporary fix pleasure chemicals, the body can supposedly bring itself to some sort of peaceful neurochemical equilibrium. Interesting ok, fair enough.

Amthorn said:
I think that the idea is right action. It doesn't say that iverindulgance is bad exactly, just that it should be avoided in order to achieve inner peace. Overindulgence and misconduct of any kind can be harmful, because both can lead to debilitation of the hody and mind. Note that overindulgence and misconduct are not defined here. If you are in a consenual swinging relationship and swapping partners regularly, taking reasonable precautions, that may not be overindulgence for you, unless it interferes with other aspects of your life. It's like overeating; different people have different dietary needs, but when you've eaten too much, you know it.
So the measurement of tolerance is if it interferes with other aspects of life
ok, Fair enough

Cantante said:
Sex for fun is, in my opinion, not that bad, but it is primitive. Buddhists wants to be anything else, than primitive. At least I think so … though they fail (since they have an belief system).
yes, this is what Im also having issue with

SofiasMami said:
In the spirit of what I know about Buddhism, perhaps you will gain self-awareness when you figure out why you are focusing on this particular Buddhist idea (instead of the others you listed above) :)
I believe "the body is a temple" is found in the Christian bible; I'm too lazy to google it at the moment.
-Teresa

I guess because my friends who appear to be healthiest and happiest are the ones who are buddhist. I could adapt to a way of life if it can be proven to me that it works, but a religion no, not for me.

Latest posts

Back