Do you know another language besides English?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

SophiaGrace

Hi,

So I was reading Tiina's thread on her 2nd horrible counseling experience, and I noticed that she says she reads in foreign languages. This made me curious as to what other languages she knew but I didn't want to derail her thread.

Then, it occured to me that it would be neat to learn what other languages people here on the forum knew. I didn't want to limit it via a poll because there's too many languages on Earth for me to list them all.

Computer languages count too. And even if you are better than English than you are at your 2nd language, the 2nd language still makes you bilingual.

So, what other languages than English do you know?

I'll start…

I know American Sign Language.

Attempted (ing) to Learn:

• HTML
  • German

I know my native language, dutch. I can somewhat understand German. I am going to learn Icelandic in a couple of years.

Well, apart from English I do know my native language as well which is German.

Do dead languages count? I was pretty good at Latin back in school, but I forgot most of the vocabulary over the years - lack of practice.

Does Canadian coont eh?

I speak French and Greek to ^.^

Seeker_2.0 said:
My native language (Greek) and html.

Μιλάτε ελληνικά thats που δροσερό , δεν συνάντησα ποτέ κανέναν σε απευθείας σύνδεση πριν .

I'm learning Romanian! :)

Maybe we need some "language buddies"!

Quite a few people on here do not have English as their first language.

If people on here got together,and found a "friend",who speak's the language they want to learn,they could buddy up,and help each other

Plus,whenever anyone join's the site,who's first language is not English,they could be welcomed by member's,in the language they

know,and make them even more welcome,and they would not feel so out of place,struggling with a language they are not used too!

Just a thought,but,good way to make friend's and learn at the same time!

(D,i always wondered what the third language was you knew)!

Arachne said:
Seeker_2.0 said:

Μιλάτε ελληνικά thats που δροσερό , δεν συνάντησα ποτέ κανέναν σε απευθείας σύνδεση πριν .

Hehe, forgive my laughing but google translate sucks at translating Greek.:p

From what I understand, you want to say "Do you speak Greek, that's very cool, I haven't ever met some who does online before." ;p

I take it that you like Greek, your username being the greek word for spider and all. :D

My native language - German.
I tried to learn Spanish but wasn't consistent with it so....

Seeker_2.0 said:
Arachne said:
Seeker_2.0 said:

From what I understand, you want to say "Do you speak Greek, that's very cool, I haven't ever met some who does online before." ;p

I take it that you like Greek, your username being the greek word for spider and all. :D

You know I thought the first part said Do you speak Greek ? When I pain stakenly read it back to myself. Which I wasn't going for lol.. I can speak it, but writing it is very hard for me I am about a grade 1 level. So I cheated and used translator o_O otherwise I would have done it in English Greek not the actual letters..Oh well sorry but voice wise I do ok lol .. yes my online name is Greek ^.^

Arachne said:
Seeker_2.0 said:
Arachne said:
Seeker_2.0 said:

You know I thought the first part said Do you speak Greek ? When I pain stakenly read it back to myself. Which I wasn't going for lol.. I can speak it, but writing it is very hard for me I am about a grade 1 level. So I cheated and used translator o_O otherwise I would have done it in English Greek not the actual letters..Oh well sorry but voice wise I do ok lol .. yes my online name is Greek ^.^

It's amazing that you try to learn Greek, though, most foreigners i've met told me that they consider Greek to be one of the hardest languages to learn, which I agree with, since it has a lot of grammar rules, spelling varieties and multiple punctuation marks. If it wasn't my native language i wouldn't ever attempt to learn, so props to you for trying. :D

Arachne said:
Seeker_2.0 said:
Arachne said:
Seeker_2.0 said:

I'm a 4th generation Greek American. I've always wanted to learn Greek. :)

Since the alphabet is completely different than the English alphabet though I think it would be hard to learn?

SophiaGrace said:
Arachne said:
Seeker_2.0 said:
Arachne said:
Seeker_2.0 said:

I'm a 4th generation Greek American. I've always wanted to learn Greek. :)

Since the alphabet is completely different than the English alphabet though I think it would be hard to learn?

Hard but not impossible, it depends on how much you want it, I does take years, though.

InSearchOfPeople said:
My first language is Russian.

I am in the process of learning Spanish.

Russian language forums are more interesting in terms of people and more dangerous in terms of viruses. Do you visit any of them?

My first language,english,italian,studied french and spanish in school.
I tried to learn by myself german,but gave up.

dutch english french german flemish html & casti
and i guess i understand basic spanish & portuguese
& I can read japanese signs, some serbian and some latin.

but that's it.

vng2015 said:
InSearchOfPeople said:
My first language is Russian.

I am in the process of learning Spanish.

Russian language forums are more interesting in terms of people and more dangerous in terms of viruses. Do you visit any of them?

I can't agree with you on any of this.
Depending on the subject of the forum.

Russian people are tough and cruel in their nature (may be dictated by hard weather conditions in most parts and a very unsmooth change from communism to capitalism). I don't think I would get any support from Russian people on forums like this one if there are any, because Russians or Russian speaking are the ones who hurt me so much lately.
As for the viruses, I don't open unknow links and don't put passwords anywhere, unless I see a legit address on top of the page. So it's pretty safe this way.

Plus in the last 2 years because of the job, Russian language is all I use, to keep my English adequate I need to keep using it this way or another.

Latest posts

Back