Reasons not to kill yourself (the cynic's version)

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amthorn

Reaction score
I see a lot of suicidal people here. Believe me, I can relate. I'm 37 this year and for half my life I've debated with myself whether life is worth living. Even now I sometimes fantasize about ending it. Life can be downright exhausting, hopeless, degrading, heartbreaking, etc. Still, somehow I keep on. Here's the things that keep me going. I hope it helps someone.

1) Revenge. Lots of people have screwed me over in life. I want to be the one to spit on their graves, not the other way around.

2) Hedonism. There are lots of sensory experiences to be had in life. I've had my fill of drugs and crazy sex, but there are still other things to experience. Being dead is a guaranteed to be boring.

3) Fear of possible afterlife/reincarnation I basically think religion sucks and most spiritual doctrines are honeysuckle, but there is always a possibility that I'm wrong. It would be my luck to off myself and go to some crappy plane of existence, or get reincarnated as a politician (shudder)

4) Power. As the truly villainous among us know, power over others is it's own reward. As long as you are alive, there is a possibility that you may become powerful, influential, famous, etc, and have the adulation of the masses. Dead people can become famous too, of course, but I am sure the rewards are minimal.

5) Impact. There is that whole "other people" thing that some of us are vaguely aware of. Unless you are a complete hermit who lives in a cave, someone is going to have to deal with the aftermath of your death. Even if it seems like no one cares, one or two people probably do. Granted, it won't be your problem after you're gone, but in those last few moments before the darkness swallows you forever, won't you feel like a total ass?[/b]

This really is an excellent post... I love the last bit... "Granted, it won't be your problem after you're gone, but in those last few moments before the darkness swallows you forever, won't you feel like a total ass?"

I will add another one: after turning 35/40, it can come at any moment, so it's not worthwhile for some years to go through all the hassle, it's just a matter of time :p

Also, what if you regret it the second after you did it but the moments before you die? Now, that will make you feel STUPID

Because life is ridiculous and killing yourself would be taking it more seriously than it deserves.

Numbers 1 & 2 are my primary reasons. There's a lot of humor to be found in life, ending it would cost me one hell of a comedic show.

The thought of being reincarnated as a politician is enough to make anyone stop and think deeply before killing themselves!!

Those are perfectly reasonable and lucid reasons not to commit suicide, I don't think they're cynical at all. I'm still reeling after a very close friend of my family committed suicide a few years ago. It was one of the worst days of my life when I found out. He was 80. I still ask why and shake my head in sadness.

Another reason I would add is that many suicides are done on impulse. Why make such an everlasting decision that can never be undone on impulse?

-Teresa

Sofiasmami-it is heartbreaking to hear of your distress over your close friend commited suicide. I am sending you a big hug.

Nuzzy Nuz said:
Mr Seal The Albatros said:
#5. This is what keeps me alive.

MisunderstoodVacancy said:
Because I'm such a loser I would probably even fail at killing myself properly

*Hugs*

Nope dont say that :( you are not a loser k?

Well thank you, both of you! I will try to think less like that but I have a sneaking suspicion that once someone gets to know me they'll inevitably end up viewing me poorly. But even if I am a loser, I guess I'm still young enough to change things around...hypothetically...

The thing is, while I don't see myself anywhere near suicidal, I don't see myself as having any real significant reason to continue existing either. Does anyone else here feel like this?

I have different reasons to stay alive. =) There's a lot of important people in my life and I wouldn't want to disappoint any of them.

As long as I'm alive, there's a chance I might accomplish something great, there's a chance I might break through. And I always thought, if I kill myself, then the bad guys in my life win. I don't want that.

WallflowerGirl83 said:
I have different reasons to stay alive. =) There's a lot of important people in my life and I wouldn't want to disappoint any of them.

Good for you, Wallflower :) That's the spirit.

unfortunately none of those relate / appeal to me..
i don't want revenge, i don't want power, i have literally no one who cares, i hold no supernatural beliefs, and none of the good sensory experiences i've ever had make up for all the pain.
i hope, that others can be inspired to go on by these things though...

None of those are the slightest bit motivating to me. I have a very hard time enjoying food many days and have been known to skip it entirely. On occasion I have (not deliberately) gotten nauseous and even thrown up. My sex drive, even solo, disappears, too.

This is what I think isn't understood about depression and suicide. For many, they take away the possibility to enjoy things like food, drink, entertainment, or sex.

Tealeaf said:
None of those are the slightest bit motivating to me. I have a very hard time enjoying food many days and have been known to skip it entirely. On occasion I have (not deliberately) gotten nauseous and even thrown up. My sex drive, even solo, disappears, too.

This is what I think isn't understood about depression and suicide. For many, they take away the possibility to enjoy things like food, drink, entertainment, or sex.f

I do understand, believe me. I have had many days where getting out of bed seemed futile. My point with this silly little article is that if you want any measure of happiness in life, you need something to live for, even if its something normally considered bad.

Latest posts

Back