my computer scared me!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickey

Reaction score
So I was using my computer when, all of a sudden, it stopped registering anything I typed on my keyboard, although the mouse still worked. I rebooted the computer, and, before it even started the operating system, it whined to me that I didn't have a keyboard plugged in.

I use a USB keyboard, so I tried plugging it into different USB ports, and it didn't help. So I went into my closet and dug out a brand new keyboard I keep as a spare, which was still in its original packaging, and tried plugging it into different USB ports. Still nothing.

I opened the case (which was easy because the cover is on a latch and lever rather than secured by screws) and had a look around. I ttried rebooting with the optical drive disconnected, with the hard drive disconnected, with live "CDs" on USB sticks plugged in, and so on, but still the same problem.

In an old computer I owned, there was a jumper on the motherrboard that you could move to reset the BIOS. This one didn't have such a jumper. It had two bare pins labelled "Service Mode" but I couldn't cover them with a rejgular jumper. You need a special one.

So I ended up putting my computer aside and thinking about what I was going to do. I spend almost all day on my computer. Could I afford to get it serviced, or maybe buy a cheap backup to use in the meantime in case this ever happened, or just go to an internet cafe and become a member so I could do some of the stuff I usually do on a computer? In desperation, I put the computer on its side on my bed with the cover off and looked at its guts again.

This time, I saw something I hadn't seen in about 10 years: an old-fashioned CMOS battery that looks a lot like a watch battery, and feeds power to the computer when it's turned off and unplugged in order to help it remember BIOS configurations. Having nothing to lose, I popped the battery out and waited about half an hour, then tried to boot up the computer with the battery out.

I got a BIOS configuration error, but the keyboard suddenly worked, so the BIOS had reset. So I shut down and popped the battery back in, and when I rebooted everything was fine again. I had to reconfigure the BIOS the way I like it, but the comptuer saw my keyboard and everything else plugged into it, and my operating system has worked just fine since then.

Just telling you this story in case anything like that ever happens to you. A tech would probably have charged you $200 to do the same thing I did and not told you what he was charging you the money for.

I was expecting to read that your computer was possessed by evil spirits…

I have worked in IT systems deployment and support for 15 years now, and I can assure you, they are all possessed by evil spirits.

johnny196775Again said:
How many years did that battery last?

If you don't mind me asking. :)

Oh, the battery is still good. They tend to last longer than the computer does because there is extremely minimal drain on them.

And kamya,

I'm kind of annoyed that my mobo doesn't have a permanent power source and reset jumpers instead. I thought CMOS batteries went out with the Pentium 4, but apparently not.

And Amtham,

At least this box is not as much of a nightmare to navigate inside as most boxes are. Do you remember how IDE cables used to have to be twisted the other way around in order to connect both to the device and to the motherboard?

mickey said:
johnny196775Again said:
How many years did that battery last?

If you don't mind me asking. :)

Oh, the battery is still good. They tend to last longer than the computer does because there is extremely minimal drain on them.

And kamya,

I'm kind of annoyed that my mobo doesn't have a permanent power source and reset jumpers instead. I thought CMOS batteries went out with the Pentium 4, but apparently not.

And Amtham,

At least this box is not as much of a nightmare to navigate inside as most boxes are. Do you remember how IDE cables used to have to be twisted the other way around in order to connect both to the device and to the motherboard?

Yes, I was a slow adopter of SATA, but I don't miss how cumbersome the old PATA was. Just wait until you start messing with rack servers where replacement parts can be thousands of dollars. That's when the real fun begins!

Amthorn,

Sorry I got your name wrong earlier.

I was talking to someone about the remedial math I'm doing on Khan Academy (I'm currently up to about the sixth-grade US level) and the person said, "Who knows, you might be able to contribute to science someday." Now you've just suggested that I'll start servicing rack servers in the future. For a 49-year-old guy who has been on disability for eight years, that's one hell of a vote of confidence from two totally unrelated sources. Thanks for the good feeling. :)

Amthorn said:
I have worked in IT systems deployment and support for 15 years now, and I can assure you, they are all possessed by evil spirits.

Lol, I knew it! But you must be talking about Windows

Amthorn said:

Lol, I knew that

Latest posts

Back