how do u overcome ur fears?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seekingpeace

Reaction score
I have a lot of anxiety, so there are many things that I think I fear, half of them are so preposterous I dont know how I even think of them. I guess that is one of the different symtoms of anxiety, besides my anxiety I also have a phobia. I'm still trying to figure out how to get past my fears, I would like to know how you guys deal with yours.

Writing them down and the reasons why you have them can help you analyze the reason why they're there. What type of fears do you have? I used to be the same like you and I think that it's just time that erases them as you grow older. I still have a few but not as bad as I used too.

About the only thing i have found is walking through them. Doing or confronting the things i feared. Also as samba101 mentioned, some just faded over time.

I try lots of things, I try doing the walking through them. I try waiting till I feel good about myself. I try removing their value and importance but I have done this particular one to everything in my life so anything I am still afraid of after means it did not work.

Well I have a fear of bees and wasps. I cope with this by running away every time I see one lol and sometimes jumping up and down like a big girl haha

can you say some of the fears you have? Is it like fear of going out, meeting new ppl act. This things can be over come talking to someone about it and keep facing them as has been said here all ready. I think as samba101 said to write them down would be a good idea.

Ask your self be for you do something that your worried about "What is the worst that can happen" often I do this and think well that's not so bad.

Well, I use logic.

Firstly, I ask myself what the worst thing that could realistically happen is. Generally this is enough, because my higher brain can rule out all those ridiculous ideas that creep in occasionally.

If need be, I then ask myself honestly whether feeling nervous about something will in any way help the situation... and of course, it won't. Fear is just an inbuilt psychological reaction, designed to help us flee from dangerous predators and the like.. not something that is designed to tell us how to behave or live our lives.

The amygdala, the part of the brain responsible for fear, is one of the most primitive parts of it. It controls arousal too, so its not all bad lol.

Anyway, I don't believe there is any quick fix to it all, but anyone with the desire to can, gradually overcome their fears. As others have already pointed out, this is best done by facing them head on, although there is nothing wrong with doing it slowly.

Personally, I do have a mild phobia of rats, but since this doesn't impact on my daily life I've never really done much about it.

I gave my fears.
Sometimes I put a bandaid on them
Sometimes I get so over involved in life I just don't have time for them.

The marines day face them.
I think it makes you a bit too essentric when you do though
Just find yourself a place you feel safe in

My fear is when people tell me I look like someone else. And when I dont think I look like them. What do I do for that???

I often drink to cope. That isn't to say I need alcohol to deal with frightening or stressful situations, because I've faced terrifying life threatening dangers more than once, and dealt with it alone, head on and stone cold sober. But the point is, later, when the dust settles and smoke clears, the fear catches up and I drink to cope, and to come down off the adrenaline surge and steady my nerves. No it's not healthy, but at this time I'm unable to get any support or meds. Although sedatives aren't any healthier than beer. What I'm lacking most is emotional support from family or friends.

Latest posts

Back