If you could change one thing about social etiquette, what would you change?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Lola91

Just as title asked. What is the most annoying social custom/etiquette and what would you do if you could change it? What new etiquette would you put in place of them?

Discuss

Lola91 said:
Just as title asked. What is the most annoying social custom/etiquette and what would you do if you could change it? What new etiquette would you put in place of them?

Discuss

Interesting topic! For me, I wish it was more common for women to approach men and initiate conversation. It is generally considered the male role, but I have always been too shy for such a conventional thing. Actually, I am becoming less shy as I get older, but these days it hardly matters. Anyway I wish that gender didn't affect approachability so much.

Amthorn said:
Lola91 said:

Discuss

Interesting topic! For me, I wish it was more common for women to approach men and initiate conversation. It is generally considered the male role, but I have always been too shy for such a conventional thing. Actually, I am becoming less shy as I get older, but these days it hardly matters. Anyway I wish that gender didn't affect approachability so much.

^^ Exactly.
That it was more socially acceptable for either sex to initiate.

I'm showing my age here, but the act of texting on one's mobile device while simultaneously engaging in face to face conversation, is to me quite annoying.

constant stranger said:
I'm showing my age here, but the act of texting on one's mobile device while simultaneously engaging in face to face conversation, is to me quite annoying.

Agreed, it's annoying. I also think it should be a major faux pas for people to use any digital device while dining unless it's an emergency.

Constant Stranger took the words right out of my mouth. Anyone who is around other people but face first into their smart phone screen should be shunned. No idea when it became socially acceptable to put an effort into ignoring other people but that would be one thing I would change.

-Teresa

SofiasMami said:
Constant Stranger took the words right out of my mouth. Anyone who is around other people but face first into their smart phone screen should be shunned. No idea when it became socially acceptable to put an effort into ignoring other people but that would be one thing I would change.

-Teresa

It must be an American thing. When I was in Europe, plenty of people had smart phones, but you seldom see anyone using them unless they're by themselves.

Dunno, as a 'media' person and someone who needs to be able to react very quickly to drama situations on our site , I always have my phone around, with the internet on. Even when I'm eating or out with someone. It'd be a shame if someone tried to reach me and I couldn't. All my friends comprehend though that it's necessary. I guess they know my responsibilities.

Rainbows said:
Dunno, as a 'media' person and someone who needs to be able to react very quickly to drama situations on our site , I always have my phone around, with the internet on. Even when I'm eating or out with someone. It'd be a shame if someone tried to reach me and I couldn't. All my friends comprehend though that it's necessary. I guess they know my responsibilities.

If it's your job to stay on top of social media, I'd say you have an excuse. I daresay most people don't have such a good explanation.

Is it really socially acceptable? None of my friends or family are really on their phones if we're doing something together. And if someone did do that I would most likely be a little offended and say something to them about it.

For me it would probably being getting stuck with all the dirty, dangerous, nasty, heavy, shitty jobs when I used to work in restaurants just because I'm "a guy".

That victims are always right... even when they're being hired for positions they're objectively not qualified for because they can't answer basic questions about the subject. It makes things "even".

In an ideal world, both sexes equally approaching would be nice without judgments. I find guys sometimes say they're intimidated/turned off by a girl who approaches them first. Others don't mind. Others encourage it.

I find that I usually don't use my phone unless someone else does it. Then I do it after they're done to piss them off lol. It something I see often around pretty much everyone I know. It's depressing.

And Kamya I hear ya. That must suck. I had one job in which all the guys did the dirty/hard work except for some reason I was also placed in those positions sometimes. Literally the only girl to do those jobs and I was pretty much the smallest person there. Someone must have not liked me :p

Judging people at all. Whether it's based on their gender, appearance, stereotypes, their past or anything else.

Also, using any of those as excuses why anyone "CAN'T" do something.

Not change just ask what is a Hipster?? I hear the term but I just do not know what on earth it means.. Thank you in advance..Bright Blessings

The young, the adults and the elderly should meet each other on equal terms with due respect.

And the youngest person shouldn't be obligated to greet first - especially not if neither he nor the other (older) person know each other's names and haven't been introducted yet.

I know this might sound ridiculous to some. But this has always been bugging me since I grew up in a rural area where I was called out for being impolite. I greeted other people very reluctantly because they only knew that I was the son of so-and-so while I knew nothing at all about them. I was just supposed to know.

I don't think that getting older itself is an achievement either. Because wisdom and reason aren't like wine. They're not getting better with aging.

Arachne said:
Not change just ask what is a Hipster?? I hear the term but I just do not know what on earth it means.. Thank you in advance..Bright Blessings

It's a term that's been around since the '40s (I think?) but its meaning has somewhat changed over the years. Nowadays it's someone who just tries really hard to be cool, but not in a macho way. Someone who likes things just because no one else does or before everyone else does. Someone who wants to be "underground" and unique, but winds up riding another bandwagon without realizing it. Chicago is full of them, unfortunately.

It is not a hippie, so don't worry :)

Amthorn said:
Lola91 said:

Discuss

This exactly.

Amthorn said:
SofiasMami said:

-Teresa

It must be an American thing. When I was in Europe, plenty of people had smart phones, but you seldom see anyone using them unless they're by themselves.

No, it's just as bad here unfortunately and like others I, too, find it offensive.

Latest posts

Back