Computer slows down towards end of each month.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiina63

Reaction score
I hadn't known about this particular forum before on this site, but am glad to have found it. As the heading says, my computer starts slowing down a lot towards the end of each month and I don't lnow why. And the time varies as well: last month it slowed from the 27th but this month it started slowing down on Monday (the 19th). As well as slowing down it won't open many sites-it opens this one ok and POF as well, and will sometimes let me read and sometimes even reply to email, but this is more or less all. I read on an advice site yesterday that one reason for computers slowing down at the end of the month could be my task scheduler isn't carrying out basic tasks till the start of the month and so I opened task schedular yesterday. A box opened and said the the task image is corrupt or has been tampered with. Could this possibly be the problem? If so, how can I fix it? Or could it be something else?
If anyone replies and I don't acknowledge you, it will be because access to this site has become impossible till the start of next month as well.

You could have a virus or malware on your computer. If you don't or can't run a reliable virus/malware scan then I suggest you take your computer into a reputable repair place. It will cost you but they can check and fix everything there.

If it was just being slow I'd say run disc cleanup and defrag but you seem to be having more problems than being slow. Many don't realize that if you never clean out your temp folders/browser history/etc it can slow things down and cause some problems.

I have the free version of avast and it said that there are no problems. I also defragged this afternoon. But my computer still has problems and I have emailed a friend who is technically minded and she is going to have a look at it for me.

Tiina63 said:
I hadn't known about this particular forum before on this site, but am glad to have found it. As the heading says, my computer starts slowing down a lot towards the end of each month and I don't lnow why. And the time varies as well: last month it slowed from the 27th but this month it started slowing down on Monday (the 19th). As well as slowing down it won't open many sites-it opens this one ok and POF as well, and will sometimes let me read and sometimes even reply to email, but this is more or less all. I read on an advice site yesterday that one reason for computers slowing down at the end of the month could be my task scheduler isn't carrying out basic tasks till the start of the month and so I opened task schedular yesterday. A box opened and said the the task image is corrupt or has been tampered with. Could this possibly be the problem? If so, how can I fix it? Or could it be something else?
If anyone replies and I don't acknowledge you, it will be because access to this site has become impossible till the start of next month as well.

I had that happen also, I found out we have so many hours allotted each month. then we get more hours for the next month.
Does this help?

Tiina, I suggest trying Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and try CCleaner. You can find both on FileHippo.

Also, are you sure it's the actual computer? If it's slowing down at the end of each month, it may be the internet. Are you capping off your internet usage? I'm not sure what your ISP terms are, but see if the cap is lower than you actually think.

VanillaCreme said:
Tiina, I suggest trying Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and try CCleaner. You can find both on FileHippo.

I suggest these two too! I used to have a very slow computer before but those two programs helped me a lot. :)

Is it your computer getting slower, or your internet speed?
If it's the Internet speed, the others who posted about that are likely correct.
If it's you computer, make sure you're doing a full scan and with reputable software (that will be sure to scan the registry).

the software am using is Tuneup Utilities and it helps optimizing my computer.. maybe its a virus or maybe you have so much saved on you C drive that usually slows the computer..

Nuzzy Nuz said:
or maybe you have so much saved on you C drive that usually slows the computer..

This is actually a myth. It used to be true on the old computers, where the hard drive would somehow be used for speeding things up. Nowadays, that doesn't happen anymore.

It really depends on your operating system and what software you have installed.

Thank you to all who replied. I have been unable to come here since last week when I took my pc to my friend's house. She installed Windows 7 for me (I had vista) but it is still very slow and not opening many sites.
I had also thought, as some of you have suggested, that maybe I was near my download limit for the month and that this was why it was slowing down. It is the net which is slowing down and not my pc, as if I do offline activities, it is normal speed. And it usually speeds up on 2nd, which is the new month for my account.
My friend said that my hard drive could expire at any moment. She found no viruses. I have very little on my hard drive now-luckily I was able to copy and paste some photos and articles from one of my emailaddresses to the other. Both are web based so I will leave them there from now on.

Tiina63 said:
Thank you to all who replied. I have been unable to come here since last week when I took my pc to my friend's house. She installed Windows 7 for me (I had vista) but it is still very slow and not opening many sites.
I had also thought, as some of you have suggested, that maybe I was near my download limit for the month and that this was why it was slowing down. It is the net which is slowing down and not my pc, as if I do offline activities, it is normal speed. And it usually speeds up on 2nd, which is the new month for my account.
My friend said that my hard drive could expire at any moment. She found no viruses. I have very little on my hard drive now-luckily I was able to copy and paste some photos and articles from one of my emailaddresses to the other. Both are web based so I will leave them there from now on.
[/quote

HI

It is not your computer.
you are probably mostly using HD too much which uses more hours faster.
That is what my provider once told me.
I use less HD now and no longer have that problem.
LIve and learn.
madera

Tiina63 said:

If there's a fresh OS install, it usually wipes everything clean. It could be the hard drive, although, any time we've had issues with our hard drives, they do tend to be a little wonky, and then they just stop working. If it's a hard drive issue, then I suggest you back up any important files now. If it's not your hard drive, then having a back up isn't a bad thing.

What I would suggest is, if you can get another hard drive, test it. See if that's what is making it go a little derpy. You usually don't even have to take the other hard drive out. You can just connect the test one.

Also, emails usually don't have anything to do with the hard drive. Unless you've saved files from the emails and deleted the emails, that doesn't affect hard drive space or usage.

madera23 said:
HI

It is not your computer.
you are probably mostly using HD too much which uses more hours faster.
That is what my provider once told me.
I use less HD now and no longer have that problem.
LIve and learn.
madera

I'm not exactly sure what this means, but do you mean bandwidth?

High Definition has to do with your video, if you are watching things on high HD then yeah you may burn up more of your bandwidth. If you watch things on lower HD which most everything is uploaded as now, you use less. I think that's what madera is getting at.

I wondered at first if he meant high definition but then thought that hard drive sounded more likely. I don't watch videos at all though obviously my screen might show webpages at HD. Please tell me how I can find out and, if this is what it is doing, how I can change it.
I know that HD TV shows a far sharper image-have seen it in the shops though only have a normal TV.

Tiina63 said:
I wondered at first if he meant high definition but then thought that hard drive sounded more likely. I don't watch videos at all though obviously my screen might show webpages at HD. Please tell me how I can find out and, if this is what it is doing, how I can change it.
I know that HD TV shows a far sharper image-have seen it in the shops though only have a normal TV.

Please call your provider, they can tell you exactly what time you have left and if you want more hours, there will be a charge, if you don't want to pay for more time, your computer will remain slow. Or even stop.
Your choice.
Madera (not a him)

My technician friend checked my ISP and said that now all their accounts are unlimited. She said it could be my router as my computer worked well with her router.

Latest posts

Back