Weird text and email issues

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWalkingDead

Reaction score
I don't expect anyone will have an answer to this as it mostly doesn't make any sense but any thoughts would be appreciated!

Recently I started to suspect that I wasn't receiving text messages. I had not way to confirm this process, just a vague unease that messages that normally would be responded to, were not being responded to. It was nothing like texts not arriving at all, more an intermittent pattern. And then it started to become apparent when I followed a few up, that people were either not getting my messages, or they were replying and I didn't get their message back... I deleted a lot of messages off my phone in case it was full or something.

This week I had a bit of a disaster as I had to exchange some important messages, and whatever I sent out I wasn't getting a reply. But was still getting some other messages. Nothing on Google about any known issues, anyway but the time I got to the end of the week I just sent a load of messages out to all and sundry - and 12 hours later I didn't have any replies, but I sent one to myself and it came through, and I also ordered something online and the text confirmation came through.

I have now got a new SIM and a new phone, but same number and same provider/network, but will have to see what happens next. But has anyone heard of texts being quite this unreliable?

That would be strange enough in itself, but on my totally unrelated email system (a well know encrypted webmail provider) similar things have been happening.

I've taken to emailing one person once we realised the texts weren't working. and I emailed this person to make an appointment. They usually reply within minutes, but after 24 hours I hadn't heard so I called up instead, and asked them if they'd forgotten to reply. They said they HAD replied, only a few minutes after getting my email - but I checked and checked, I did not receive that email. They forwarded it an alternative email address of mine and it came through, showng yes, they had replied 2 minutes after I sent my email (but I never go their reply) And now I'm thinking back to a number of priority emails I sent in the week, which I was quite shocked not to receive a response to. But now it seems people can reply to my emails and they somehow get completely lost without a trace - no bounceback, no error message etc? I thought email was built to be more or less bomb proof? :club:

It's really puzzling to me how this has suddenly happened in the same week with 2 totally independent communication systems.

Does anyone have an idea of what the heck might be going on?!

Or a way to mitigate these technological failures, as it's hard ebough to find motivation to send important emails etc without thinking there's a good chance they're not going to reach their destination, or the person will reply but it will get lost on the way back... :rolleyes:

The only time I have seen text messages be unreliable is when the network is under extremely heavy load. I remember it happening frequently on previous New Year's Eves, but I have not seen it happen for a few years.

What model phone do you own? Smartphones will keep pinging the message server until the message can eventually be sent, so if people are claiming they did not receive them I would be highly dubious.

Cavey said:
The only time I have seen text messages be unreliable is when the network is under extremely heavy load. I remember it happening frequently on previous New Year's Eves, but I have not seen it happen for a few years.

What model phone do you own? Smartphones will keep pinging the message server until the message can eventually be sent, so if people are claiming they did not receive them I would be highly dubious.

I did have an Xperia E first generation thing but have now got an Xperia M2 - the difference is amazing the new phone makes the old one look like a basic dinky children's device :club:

I've actually had a few times where someone has shown me the sent text that I haven't received maybe my old phone was just calling it a day.

Things seem OK now but will keep an eye on it and think it's a lesson to stop relying on texts for everything - I actually started calling people again and prefer it in many ways :D

Cavey is right. It will keep pinging, however, that's only through the network. I had the Kyocera Rise last year, and it would not send through or receive messages. I would get messages literally days later, with the correct date on it, and would be so confused why I got a text on January 29th but it was dated January 14th.

The LG I now have doesn't do that, and I use the same Sprint network still, so I just assumed that the Rise was more of a derpy phone than I wanted to admit. Is there another message system you can use to test if messages go through? For example, when I used Viber (a messaging system I use with my peoples) on the Rise, it worked fine. But texts themselves had an issue some of the time. Viber, being an outside source other than network SMS, usually worked.

Latest posts

Back