Can someone help an idiot?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JHK

Reaction score
This will probably sound stupid but I have no idea about anything technology, really.
I gave my laptop to someone who couldn't one and bought another one last night. Last time I had them set it up but I had to travel for work and didn't have the time. So the sales guy went about a software to thing to download, blah blah. I have a habit of tuning people out when I should listen. So at the end of it all he looks at me sorta like I'm an idiot (spot on, I did the smile and nod thing through it all) and says "You can get that far, right?"
So of course I was all "Pfft. Yeah. Of course." Duh. And I have no idea what he said.
I just need to know what I need to do for it. Like a virus scanner thing. Where would I get that? Is that all or is there more stuff I should be downloading for it?

Okay...first you need to reread your reply its difficult to figure out what you are actually asking about.

It is best to research virus scanners, find what is best for you. Some are free but are limited, I pay for mine because I do. If I could find a free one I liked and trusted I'd use it, but never have. People have varying feelings about some virus scanners. You can find them on the internet easily. There are other programs you can download that are free to help with virus and malware.

That's about the only thing I could figure out.

I assume you're asking for anti-virus programs? What I usually suggest to people is Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and CCleaner, both of which are found on FileHippo. Your post is rather difficult to understand, as some words seem to be omitted, but if that's the gist of it, those are my recommendation. You don't need fancy or expensive programs to keep your computer clean. Just pay attention to the sites you visit and what you download and click on. The sales dude was just doing his job and get a sale.

The sales guy was fine. The problem is me.
I just don't know if there is anything else I need to set it up. I've always had it done for me.

Sometimes when you buy a new computer it comes with a preloaded trail period, usually Norton or McAfee. you should see if you have one already.

It has McAfee. For 30 days. Maybe I will just bring it back in after my shift. Probably be easier.
Thanks.

I wouldn't suggest using McAfee or Norton. But all you have to do with most programs is just download and install, and they can usually run themselves. If the people at wherever you get it done are doing something fancy, they're just trying to get some money out of you somehow.

I just use Microsoft Security Essentials, Malwarebytes and CCleaner. They do what you need them to do and they are all free. I've never gotten a virus. (I work online and go to quite a few questionable sites). Unless you're going to a lot of very suspicious sites all the time, chances are you don't need anything really special and the free ones will cover it.

VanillaCreme said:
I wouldn't suggest using McAfee or Norton. But all you have to do with most programs is just download and install, and they can usually run themselves. If the people at wherever you get it done are doing something fancy, they're just trying to get some money out of you somehow.

I managed somehow to get AVG downloaded to it last night. I was told that was a good one so hopefully that should cover it?

TheRealCallie said:
I just use Microsoft Security Essentials, Malwarebytes and CCleaner. They do what you need them to do and they are all free. I've never gotten a virus. (I work online and go to quite a few questionable sites). Unless you're going to a lot of very suspicious sites all the time, chances are you don't need anything really special and the free ones will cover it.

What are the last two you mentioned? Is that something I'd need? Sorry, I am so far behind my generation it's almost embarrassing... lol
I don't go much of anywhere. Here, Google, YouTube. I'm not very exciting.

JHK said:
VanillaCreme said:

I managed somehow to get AVG downloaded to it last night. I was told that was a good one so hopefully that should cover it?

Ugh...I would never ever use AVG, it screwed up one of my laptops before, it does not (or didn't) play well with some other programs and I've heard too many computer techs say negative things about it. I had a hell of a time restoring my computer back to its original state after and getting rid of AVG. But that was my personal experience.

I know Nilla suggested against Norton (McAfee I agree with) but I used Norton, it has gotten better while McAfee has gone down the crapper, I have used it for years and find it just fine. I prefer it to any other one I've used, like AVG, McAfee and another one I can't quite remember what it was called. I wish I could because it wasn't bad and reasonable too. Norton does require some know how and customizing or it can be a pain in the ass, like most others can be too. I haven't run into one that was fairly dummy proof.

But like I said, everyone should do their own research and if someone recommended it to you hopefully they can help you if you ever run into issues.

JHK said:
VanillaCreme said:

I also would never use AVG. I did use it years ago, but the quality of their program has gone down. It just doesn't feel like it's up to par. But if you like it and it works for you, more power to you.

JHK said:
TheRealCallie said:

What are the last two you mentioned? Is that something I'd need? Sorry, I am so far behind my generation it's almost embarrassing... lol
I don't go much of anywhere. Here, Google, YouTube. I'm not very exciting.

I use only these three as well. I will admit though, the only reason I use Microsoft Security Essentials is because it's already on the OS. The last two are pretty good. I've known Malwarebytes to save several computers, and a friend of mine recommended me using it years ago. Stuck with it ever since. CCleaner, formerly known as Crap Cleaner, can clean out caches, cookies, and it can help clean and fix up any broken registries.

Malwarebytes will detect malware on your computer, it's rather helpful to use if you're having problems with your computer. You can find out if there's any malware that might be causing your problems.
CCleaner just cleans out the computer and fixes registry problems, like Nilla said.

I wouldn't recommend AVG either. They used to be okay for a basic AV, but I haven't used them for years because it actually caused MORE problems on my computer.

I use Bitdefender which is fast, doesn't slow down my computer as is very effective. Bitdefender

Also, my man recommends BullGuard which keeps your data safe and safeguards your kiddos online. BullGuard anti-v's is also on offer.

Any of those 'free' antiviruses are very good, but some tend to only last one month and then you have to download them again.

Latest posts

Back