You are who you choose to be.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amthorn

Reaction score
You are not your feelings.

You are not your thoughts.

You are not your past.

You are not your future.

You are not your job.

You are not your relationship status.

You are not your bank account.

You are not your car.

You are not even your body.

Right now, in this moment, you are who you choose to be. And if you like, if you feel so inclined, you can be happy, just to be alive and breathing.

Or not. It's your choice.

Amthorn said:

You are not your past.

You are not your future.

You are not your job.

You are not your car.

Right now, in this moment, you are who you choose to be. And if you like, if you feel so inclined, you can be happy, just to be alive and breathing.

Thanks for that. It hit the spot.

100%
People need to internalize this and realize they have complete control of their life and feelings. Happiness is a choice.

Also, if you choose to remain sad and make yourself the victim, life won't get better.

Amthorn said:

You are not your past.

You are not your future.

You are not your job.

You are not your car.

I disagree with the last several sentences of this.
I am my body.
I am a biological robot and all of my feelings, actions and thoughts are predetermined by physics...
I have no choice, no 'freewill,' and no responsibility for any of the above. :)
If anyone has any actual evidence to the contrary, I would be mighty interested in hearing it.... until then, all this is just a bunch of words without any evidence to sustain them. :)
Very imaginative, but very very empty.

chris girard said:
Amthorn said:

You are not your past.

You are not your future.

You are not your job.

You are not your car.

I am my body.
I am a biological robot and all of my feelings, actions and thoughts are predetermined by physics...
If anyone has any actual evidence to the contrary, I would be mighty interested in hearing it.... until then, all this is just a bunch of words without any evidence to sustain them. :)

I like it. I think it's more about a changing one's outlook towards life and regaining some control of it and not putting labels or other peoples' judgements on ourselves. Although I think i agree with you on the 'you are not your body' statement but then it can interpreted slightly differently as 'you are not defined by your body image' for example.

Freewill is an interesting subject though. I'm not sure exactly where I stand on it myself. I think I lean towards it based on there being a certain randomness to existence (stochastic events for example) but i do believe in materialism and some interesting discoveries have been made on consciousness so I'm open to learning more about it. :)

Katerina said:
chris girard said:
Amthorn said:

You are not your past.

You are not your future.

You are not your job.

You are not your car.

I am my body.

I like it. I think it's more about a changing one's outlook towards life and regaining some control of it and not putting labels or other peoples' judgements on ourselves. Although I think i agree with you on the 'you are not your body' statement but then it can interpreted slightly differently as 'you are not defined by your body image' for example.

Freewill is an interesting subject though. I'm not sure exactly where I stand on it myself. I think I lean towards it based on there being a certain randomness to existence (stochastic events for example) but i do believe in materialism and some interesting discoveries have been made on consciousness so I'm open to learning more about it. :)

Consciousness is conditional and contingent upon external and internal factors. It does not exist in a vacuum unto itself. It arises in response to awareness of those factors, and thus can be altered by modifying them . ..

Amthorn said:
Katerina said:
chris girard said:
Amthorn said:

You are not your past.

You are not your future.

You are not your job.

You are not your car.

I am my body.

Consciousness is conditional and contingent upon external and internal factors. It does not exist in a vacuum unto itself. It arises in response to awareness of those factors, and thus can be altered by modifying them . ..

How in the world could you demonstrate this high-flying rhetoric as having ANY basis in reality whatsoever?
This SOUNDS nice, but is profoundly empty.

chris girard said:
Amthorn said:
Katerina said:
chris girard said:
Amthorn said:

You are not your past.

You are not your future.

You are not your job.

You are not your car.

I am my body.

How in the world could you demonstrate this high-flying rhetoric as having ANY basis in reality whatsoever?
That's true. Reality is very empty. I live this reality every day, choosing who and how I want to be. Myself and millions of other people. Life is beautifully, gloriously, and magnificently empty, a place to create whatever meaning and sense of being I so choose. Thank you for the reminder, friend :)

Amthorn said:
chris girard said:
Amthorn said:
Katerina said:
chris girard said:
I am my body.

That's true. Reality is very empty. I live this reality every day, choosing who and how I want to be. Myself and millions of other people. Life is beautifully, gloriously, and magnificently empty, a place to create whatever meaning and sense of being I so choose. Thank you for the reminder, friend :)

Pardon me for pointing this out, but you have misunderstood me.
I was saying that your words about consciousness are profoundly empty, and can not be demonstrated as true.
Reality, on the other hand may be measured directly because it is NOT empty... :)
Furthermore, I believe you have already forgotten that I disagree with the statement that you can be how or what you choose to be... So that is clearly NOT what I am reminding you... Your confusion is so deep here that it invites a charge of disingenuousness. :)
But that is not surprising to me.. I sense you are perhaps... original or unique or possibly senile in your thinking... :)

Thank you for your consideration and taking time out of your day to read my humble words. May you be well!

chris girard said:
Amthorn said:
chris girard said:
Amthorn said:
Katerina said:

Pardon me for pointing this out, but you have misunderstood me.
I was saying that your words about consciousness are profoundly empty, and can not be demonstrated as true.
Reality, on the other hand may be measured directly because it is NOT empty... :)
Furthermore, I believe you have already forgotten that I disagree with the statement that you can be how or what you choose to be... So that is clearly NOT what I am reminding you... Your confusion is so deep here that it invites a charge of disingenuousness. :)
But that is not surprising to me.. I sense you are perhaps... original or unique or possibly senile in your thinking... :)

Enlighten me, dear friend, upon two matters:

If consciousness is not contingent upon the existence of eyes, brain, environment, and motive force, from whence does it arise?

By what unit can all reality be measured? Can you divide it or multiply it? Weigh it or lessen it? Is it not also contingent upon our perception of itself?

Thank you again for taking the time to read and explain such things to one so simple as myself!

Very true, All the members here are mostly insightful, unless they're a jerk-hypocrite. Well, the problem this is ENTIRELY HARD TO ACTUALLY FOLLOW, and I never met an ordinary person who completely followed such a mindset. We are prone to scapegoating one thing or another, naturally. I mean we always complain, if we just stop complaining about everything we hate in our lives. But seems difficult, when abuse is in every corner...........

(This is why love for all and everything counts most, think outside that box of yours!!!!).

Amthorn said:

You are not your past.

You are not your future.

You are not your job.

You are not your car.

If this were true there would be no need for therapists.

johnny196775Again said:
Amthorn said:

You are not your past.

You are not your future.

You are not your job.

You are not your car.

It is true. Some people just need help to realize it, that's where therapists come in.

TheRealCallie said:
johnny196775Again said:
Amthorn said:

You are not your past.

You are not your future.

You are not your job.

You are not your car.

It is true. Some people just need help to realize it, that's where therapists come in.
therapists do NOT work for everyone and you and i both know that.

Latest posts

Back