motivational issues

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickey

Reaction score
I used to describe myself as "having avolition" but decided that was pretentious and constituted me being my label, so I don't say that any more. But I also don't believe in disparaging myself as "lazy"--and, to their credit, the two people in my life, my father and brother, don't call me that either.

I ran out of Crestor on Sunday. I should have gone to the pharmacy on Monday, but it was -20 C outside and I rationalized that missing one dose of a cholesterol med is no major disaster. Today I'm going to take my last dose of Coversyl. That's a blood pressure med and missing one dose wouldn't be much of an issue, either, but I'd be missing three doses of Crestor as well if I didn't go to the pharmacy by dinnertime tomorrow. It's about -8 C today and will be -15 C tomorrow so it makes sense to go today. But when I think about putting on my shoes and coat and going out, I get this draggy feeling that makes my arm movements sluggish and makes it difficult for me even to stand up from my chair.

My father and brother don't trust me to do much around the apartment. All I do is give them $300 a month for rent and food, do my own laundry and clean my own room. My brother even washes my bedsheets and helps me strip and make my bed, although I do join him in doing that. I really, really don't want to burden my father and brother with running to the pharmacy for me when they go out to take care of whatever they need to take care of, but I just thought about going to the pharmacy and am having that draggy feeling again. And I can't wait until I run out of psych medication. That _would_ be a disaster.

Thank you for reading.

I feel like I'm having similar issues with getting on with things at the moment. I think a lack of motivation can arise from a few reasons such as overthinking the issues, feeling that there's always tomorrow to fall back on, and in some cases depression. Ultimately you just need to get out and do it and get it over with. It's best to do it as soon as possible, you'll feel better for it and won't have it hanging over you anymore.

for what is worth, I think -20C is an extremely good reason not to go out

for all the rest, the reasons Katerina lists are very valid…

Katerina said:
I feel like I'm having similar issues with getting on with things at the moment. I think a lack of motivation can arise from a few reasons such as overthinking the issues, feeling that there's always tomorrow to fall back on, and in some cases depression. Ultimately you just need to get out and do it and get it over with. It's best to do it as soon as possible, you'll feel better for it and won't have it hanging over you anymore.

I never believed that willpower was worth two plugged nickels, but today I just took advantage of one brief, good moment and jumped into my shoes and coat and got out the door before I could think about it. I neglected to tie my shoelaces and forgot my keys so that my father had to let me in when I came back. But I got the medication, and, while waiting for the refills to be put together, I even got a hot chocolate at Timothy's. So that's that.

Thanks for your help.

Latest posts

Back