People Similar to you -really?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenish

Reaction score
Having read through these posts and also having tried internet dating, I got to thinking why we are so intent on finding someone like us to be friends with.

Isn't this limiting us in a way? Aren't we closing ourselves off to new experiences which will allow us to grow? Its a fact that everyone you meet will leave a mark on you and you'll learn, grow and mature as a result.

I am open to meeting people from different cultures, religions, levels of education or interests in different fields and I've met and interacted with many such people. Although we might not see or hear from each other very often I do consider a few to be friends. This despite the fact that I have very little in common with them.

Admittedly I often feel lonely and isolated, yet I'm thankful for the opportunities I've had to get to know these people and the things I've learnt from them.

I just think one should not just write people off simply because you perceive them to be different or have nothing in common with you. Perhaps the only thing you need to have in common is a willingness to break down your ego boundaries and make the effort to get to know someone else regardless of who or what they are.

Any thoughts on this?

In middle school, my group of friends were Catholics, Wiccans, otherkin, nerds, and a couple of future fashion models and strippers.

What has that done for me now?

Answer: fuckall.

I used to pin it down on interests and hobbies as well, but nowadays I interpret "similar people" as meaning nothing but individuals who share your general attitude or morals. Chemistry and all that. My friends and I share some interests, but it's our common attitude that keep us together.

It's not like I will ever be able to truly like somebody who holds an opinion about something major that completely opposes my own.

A random example:
"Hey, you know what's really messed up? Homosexuality." - "Hey, you know what's even more messed up? You. Goodbye."

I think it depends on the differences. In retrospect pretty much everyone I have ever been friends with has been very different from me in a lot of ways but there are some key ways we are alike.

I confess to be entirely intolerant of close contact with people with certain views ie: if someone is convinced everything is a government plot, is racist, is obsessed with their gun rights but thinks it's ok to let people go without food or health care then we'll have nothing to talk about and would only piss each other off so best to leave it alone and save us both a headache. Having a basic sense of shared values is important whether in friendships or in romantic relationships. People can differ widely on how to get to what is important to them but if what is important to them isn't even in the same universe then you've got a huge problem.

I've never considered if there is anyone similar to me. I've just got on with living as full a life as possible with my family and a couple of friends. But for me, life has never been dull.

I don't purposely limit my social circle to people that are similar to me, I really don't care about someone's background, past, culture, religion, whatever. As long as they are nice people, I'll usually get on with them.

However, when it comes to people that I actually make a connection with on some level and become good friends with, they are people that are similar to me. I don't think it's a conscious thing though. It's just that I tend to feel more comfortable with similarities. Opposites do not attract me. That being said, I am generally a quiet person but I find that being with a friend that is more extrovert than me tends to bring the best out in me.

I can get along with just about anyone provided they're not completely amoral. Most of my friends have been completely different from me, but I like to think that I learned something useful from each of those friendships.

I'm still hung up on having been born and raised overseas, an ex-pat kid. USA still doesn't really feel like it's my country. Totally ironic that some naturalized citizens whom I know feel more "American" than I do.

So people similar to me, really? No I've never met anybody like me, really. But I admit that's my opinion only.......could be a self fulfilling prophecy I suppose.

Latest posts

Back