What do a boyfriend and his girlfriend talk about?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M_also_lonely

Reaction score
What do a boyfriend and his girlfriend talk about? I have seen couples spend all day together, and their PHONE CALLS LAST FOR THE WHOLE NIGHT. Then they meet the next day and chit chat for the whole day, not even look around, whats happening around them, they just keep on talking. But what?? Seriously, what do they talk about??

Bit of exaggeration there - I'm sure they don't literally talk all day and night! But I guess it's the same when you have a best friend, you just talk nonsense to them, then the same nonsense over and over again.

If you don't mind me saying, you sound quite bitter in your posts. "The girl I like doesn't want me", "girls go for men who treat them badly", "I don't understand what people talk about etc" Natural and understandable (and I did exactly the same as you when I was your age) but one thing you should do for the sake of your own sanity is let others be and concentrate on your own happiness. You have to create opportunities to let yourself be happy.

Let go of the negativity, as comforting as it is. You are currently in a position of fear, and that fear is causing you to lash out at the world rather than be a part of it. There's lots of posts on here of people doing exactly the same thing - and those people are still single into their twenties, thirties and forties. I've read one post where a gentleman has said he will "not be here in 3-4 years time" unless he finds love. What kind of message does that send out to potential partners?! You won't find love by lashing out at others who have it. Love comes naturally when you show love, to yourself and those around you. Not posting on a forum but actually making a change to your life, no matter how small.

There's a famous book called Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway by Susan Jeffers. There is a whole chapter about moving from a position of pain (where you are now) to a position of power where you are more confident and happy. I highly recommend you read it.

Do you know how I turned my life around when I was your age? I nearly died. I had a massive brain haemorrhage that left me disabled, paralysed and unable to speak. That fear, that terror, that anger of not being able to move or communicate completely swung the compass of my life. I became determined to live my life with as much gusto as I could, so instead of leaving school with my average grades into an average job, I stayed on at school and did a qualification I was not really into (health and social care). But while I didn't really use the qualification for anything except getting me into college, I met a couple of people who are still friends to this day. The sister of one is now my best best friend and I will know her until I die. From then on I got a job where I met more people, graduated from college and ended up travelling the world. When I got back I signed up to an online dating agency and met several girls, one of whom is now my wife. I've written two books, travelled more, got my dream job and try and help other people the best I can. I let go of all the negativity (although I still feel it sometimes) and put all my energy into loving what I do.

I'm nobody special; I'm not handsome or talented, or rich or confident, but I don't let that hold me back from doing what I love doing. This is what you need to do to.

I believe in you dude, I know you can do it. You just need to trust that you can.

^ That's a great post.

To answer your question: Anything and everything. =] A boyfriend/girlfriend relationship is also a friendship.

I have a BFF that lives some states over from me... He and I talk everyday, for hours. Sometimes we just sit there and make sounds at each other... We are both well over 30 years old... yet still have these types of talks. lol

I know its not a boyfriend.. but I think people that care for each other jstu yammer on about anything and everything.

h3donist said:
Bit of exaggeration there - I'm sure they don't literally talk all day and night! But I guess it's the same when you have a best friend, you just talk nonsense to them, then the same nonsense over and over again.

Well, it does happen. Maybe not every day, but it happens. However, according to something I've heard, if one doesn't have a certain type of relationship, then they must not really care for the person.

But what can boyfriends and girlfriends talk about? Anything. Cars. Televisions. Mouse pads. Nail polish. Candles. Glasses. Freezing rain.

Danielle said:
Its funny Nills,

I just talked with my BF about nail polish and freezing rain last night! True Story! :p

Cool honeysuckle, yeah? I give Jeremy old nail polish that's coagulated so much that I don't even want to bother to thin it out so I can use it more. He says that it's good to use for a substitute for that lock-tite stuff. It does work, and quite well.

I was talking to him about an article that i read about putting clear nail polish on shirt buttons to stop them from coming loose! Nail polish is good for a lot of things!

VanillaCreme said:
Danielle said:
Its funny Nills,

I just talked with my BF about nail polish and freezing rain last night! True Story! :p

Cool honeysuckle, yeah? I give Jeremy old nail polish that's coagulated so much that I don't even want to bother to thin it out so I can use it more. He says that it's good to use for a substitute for that lock-tite stuff. It does work, and quite well.

It entirely depends on the people involved.

In some of my former relationships the convo was him ..droning on about his job, plans for the future and favourite sports and me..listening adoringly.

At least until I learned better. And I'm sure there are the opposite experiences, from men listening to women.

In a good relationship, there is give and take, listening and talking, about anything, maybe everything, whether it be boyfriend girlfriend, or just.. Friends.

The best part of being in a close, loving relationship is the fact that you do not have to always speak to each other. Just sharing the moment, wordless.

their lives and shared interests.

The women I have dated (And it isn't many !) have mostly talked about previous boyfriends. Very dull !

Everything! You become best friends and have loads in common if it's a good relationship. Although I have seen people out for dinner who are clearly couples and they just sit there in silence....the whole time!

Few words...Talking their heart out until there is nothing left to share but Strangely It won't end. There is always so much to give and receive :D

I just want to say i think h3donist gave you some great advice and i hope youll take it to heart and not let negativity rules your life. Ive been married coming up on 17 years march 22nd but before that she was my Girlfriend, i guess it still counts. We talk about all kinds of things. Its basically the same stuff yould talk about with a friend, at least in my case. We talk about cars, video games, the weather, clothes, books, people we know, current events, things on TV i mean the list is endless.

Those people that you see out together are probably talking about whats going on around them, or what plans they have for that day or some funny happening with their friends etc. Try not to think of boyfriend girlfriend as some strange alien thing. Just think of it as two people because thats what it is.

Also sometimes like some others said you sit in silence, but that silence is sometimes good its sometimes bad it just depends on the person. I feel comfortable enough with my wife we could sit for a whole day and not say a word and neither of us would feel wierd. We probably wouldnt do that lol but we could.

Latest posts

Back