Nonfiction Book Discussion

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exasperated

Reaction score
A place for those of us that love nonfiction/serious books to talk about what we are reading!

To keep to the conversation going from the thread where this idea originated: Bookworm- a book about being Child Free that I really enjoyed was Jen Kirkman's I Can Barely Take Care of Myself. It's a humor book, but made some really good points.

Who else likes nonfiction? What are you reading?

Again, thanks for the book recommendation! And the title sounds really appropriate for me, LOL!

Unfortunately, I don't have any current nonfiction books right now, I've been reading some fiction that a co-worker has given me, and I'm not going to the library for a couple of weeks (to check out the books you mentioned, hopefully).

But feel free to start the discussion!

I read a little non-fiction. At the moment I'm reading The Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein. It's a political book written by a journalist to do with an economic theory and it's practise and repercussions. Despite the fact that the premise sounds kind of boring it is an incredibly engaging book to read compared with some of the non-fiction I've read.

The last nonfiction book I read was a book on ethics in counseling Deaf people. Dull, but I made it through.

I read a lot of nonfiction but mostly just boring reference books or books specifically for teaching how to do certain things. Right now it's been a lot of writing and publishing books, and books on archery. "The Witchary of Archery", "Fletchary, The Art of Making Matched Arrows", "Traditional Bowyer's Bible". Kindle Unlimited is great for just picking a topic and getting lots of books on whatever you want to learn about. It can be dry if you aren't already really interested in those subjects. The quality can vary though because of a lot of those books are self-published. All I can say about it is that it gets me reading a lot more than before. Could possible be worth cancelling Netflix for.

^ I'm very interested in archery, I might check some of those out.

I used to read a lot of fiction (of the Fantasy genre in particular), but these days I read mostly non-fiction, on all different subjects. I don't recall the last book I read as I've gotten lazy recently (I believe it was something about Autism), but I have read a few scientific journals and things of that nature.

Lately I've been reading books written by recovering addicts, much down the line of "A Million Little Pieces" without the fictional additions that James Frey thought it wise to throw in.

One that comes to mind is "Smacked" by Melinda Furguson. She was a full blown heroin addict who after getting married and giving birth to two children, ended up working as a prostitute. She eventually broke free of this lifestyle and is currently working as a journalist. While reading the book I was constantly thinking, 'When is her hell going to end'.

Another inspiring book is "Ghost Boy" by Martin Pistorius. I might have the details wrong but it goes something like this. At 12 something in his brain simply switched off and he lost the ability to speak, think, use his arms and legs. Basically sitting in a wheelchair being fed and cleaned etc. At 16 his conscious thought returned although he could not speak or move. He had no way of communicating until a vigilant carer sensed that he was trying to communicate. They did tests and helped him to communicate using cards and eventually a laptop. Since then he's gone from strength to strength and is now married and working as a web developer in the UK.

I'm reading Ayn Rand and the World She Made by Anne C. Heller. I'm not an objectivist or anything but I find Ayn Rand fascinating. At first it was because I'd never really heard of a female philosopher but the more I found out about her the more I wanted to know. I've also read The Passion of Ayn Rand by Barbara Branden, who was a close friend and student of Rand before they fell out, so it's really interesting to read a more academic, dispassionate analysis of her.

I guess it's good for people to read so that they know what the oppressors that push anti-altruism are referring to,

Her family had the misfortune of being both wealthy and Jewish after Red October and suffered accordingly for it. She was very lucky to get out of Russia when she did. I think objectivism was her personal crusade against the tenets of communism. She originally wanted to call it collectivism, perhaps as a show of defiance, but[/i] felt it was too on the nose, haha. :D

Sigh.

Does anyone read sociological books, articles, anything? Does anyone know anything about economic injustice? Does anyone care?

I'm just getting a bit frustrated how hard it is to find people that understand and care about what is going on in current society.

You sound a little... exasperated! =P

I used to be into all of that when I was in college but not anymore. It doesn't do anything for me. Yeah it's all messed and depressing but reading about it doesn't really do much. There isn't much I can do to fix it. Not now anyways.

I used to be really into learning and reading about philosophy but once again, it didn't get me anywhere. It was just something to pass the time for me. The more I got into it and the more time I spent thinking about things, the more depressed I got.

Nowadays the only time I'm learning about those subjects is when I listen to certain podcasts.

I can't be bothered with reading about those topics any more. I'm much more interested in self improvement and learning skills. I'll figure out the world's problems when I have my own life sorted.

Plenty of people most definitely understand and care about social issues on this forum, from what I've seen.

Maybe start a thread devoted specifically to that?

I know a lot of people are interested and care, but the issues are not being able to do anything about it as well as the fact that no matter what there will always be people who feel they are more equal than others.

For me it's all about trying to learn from the mistakes in the past and understand why they happened so they won't be repeated.

exasperated said:
Does anyone read sociological books, articles, anything? Does anyone know anything about economic injustice? Does anyone care?

^ I do, a lot; but I share kamya's sentiments.

I do what I can do.

exasperated said:
Yes, this thread has been exasperating. I'm sorry I even tried.

What is wrong with the way this thread has gone? =/ Your original post never specified that you wanted it to center around injustice or current events. Why don't you make a thread about that if that's what you want to discuss?

lifestream said:
I'm reading Ayn Rand and the World She Made by Anne C. Heller. I'm not an objectivist or anything but I find Ayn Rand fascinating. At first it was because I'd never really heard of a female philosopher but the more I found out about her the more I wanted to know.

Thanks for this tip. I've not read anything that she's written but will keep an eye out for something with her name on it.

....This is a nice tread people, please keep posting

Try Anthem, Greenish. The rest of her books could double as doorstoppers but that one is nice and slim. :)

exasperated, I'm quite perturbed by your last few responses. You start a thread about what non-fiction books other people are reading, then become despondent(?) when nobody's reading the same books that you're interested in?

Latest posts

Back