Depression - will I ever get rid of it?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

migima

Reaction score
Dear all,
I don't know if you could help me, but I'll try, at least, to put this out ...
I suffer from depression, I think I'm that kind of person who falls into depression very easy. And for last 5 years it has become worst. I hade to take even medicaments.
I had one season of taking meds, then I got better, stopped with them, but after a while, it got worst again, so I started with meds again. First there was a little improvement, but after a while, I'm again depressed, and with no will to live as I should.
The worst of all is that I drive people away from myself, with my depression. Especially potential boyfriends. Nobody like sad people.
I'm not usually sad person, I like to smile, to do things in life, I'm active person, but depression is killing me, and make me so lonely.

Any tip would be welcome.

Well I've heard that oftentimes when people stop taking the medication because they feel better, it's not uncommon for them to have another depressive episode. The good news is that the medication was helping you so it may be just a matter of you finding the right medication for you and sticking to it in order for your depression to be better managed.

SophiaGrace said:
Well I've heard that oftentimes when people stop taking the medication because they feel better, it's not uncommon for them to have another depressive episode. The good news is that the medication was helping you so it may be just a matter of you finding the right medication for you and sticking to it in order for your depression to be better managed.

The other episode was long time after I quit for the first time (more than one year), and I didn't quit suddenly.
Now I'm not better with medicaments. Do you think I should take higher dosage or change medicine?
I will ask my therapist, sure, I have apointment for two weeks, but till then, I'm just curious how you people here deal with depression.

I came close to taking meds once, but I never have.

I try to simplify my life and withdraw from society. It does help the depression, but it results in loneliness. But for me, nothing is worse than the sensation of feeling left out, of being the oddball when others are social and accepted.

I would rather be lonely than go through that.

lonelydoc said:
I came close to taking meds once, but I never have

Well, I'm totally different from you, I'm socially very accepted, and it's not problem for me to be with people, only I prefer my comfort of home and don't like to go much out, in bars etc. I like to go in nature. But I miss "the significant one" and depresson by itself annoy me very much because it makes my life very tough.

If you don't need drugs for depression than it means your depression isn't so severe.

lonelydoc said:
I came close to taking meds once, but I never have.

I try to simplify my life and withdraw from society. It does help the depression, but it results in loneliness. But for me, nothing is worse than the sensation of feeling left out, of being the oddball when others are social and accepted.

So you trade one problem or another?

have the doctors checked for any vitamin deficiencies or a chemical imbalance? That's something my doctor wanted to check to see if that was the cause before putting me on any meds. I had some deficiencies so she's having me try some diet changes and supplements first to see if that will help. It's only been a few weeks so time will tell

wolvesjr said:
have the doctors checked for any vitamin deficiencies or a chemical imbalance? That's something my doctor wanted to check to see if that was the cause before putting me on any meds. I had some deficiencies so she's having me try some diet changes and supplements first to see if that will help. It's only been a few weeks so time will tell

Yes, I did blood exame, several times, no deficiencies.
Only, my thyroid gland started to show a little problems. It is not so severe, slightly besides normal values, my internist gave me medicament for that, but I don't feel any better. I drink it for few months already.
And I see that thyroid gland can cause depression as well.

Talking therapy ....a phychologist... Can be really helpful, medication alone is rarely enough... Speak to your Dr see if it's possible to arrange a referral

sothatwasmylife said:
Talking therapy ....a phychologist... Can be really helpful, medication alone is rarely enough... Speak to your Dr see if it's possible to arrange a referral

I'm going to my pshychologist regularly, also been on group therapies, and intend to go on one weekend therapy soon, but all that talking doesn't help much.

As I realised, to have partner and love is the best help, but today it is almost impossible. People aren't capable to be together and to love any more.

migima said:
I'm going to my pshychologist regularly, also been on group therapies, and intend to go on one weekend therapy soon, but all that talking doesn't help much.

As I realised, to have partner and love is the best help, but today it is almost impossible. People aren't capable to be together and to love any more.

The thyroid can definitely cause problems. My mom had HUGE mood issues until they were able to get the medication just right.

Love can definitely help but don't give up hope about finding a partner. Change things up some. You like mountaineering, so go someplace that you've never been to. Find a new group to go with if you normally go with a group. Anything to break out of the routine.

What I'm talking about here is avoiding some of the situations that lead to depression, to lead the life that I want to lead.

So yes, I will accept a little bit of loneliness if it means less depression. I think there is a balance to be achieved.

wolvesjr said:
Love can definitely help but don't give up hope about finding a partner. Change things up some. You like mountaineering, so go someplace that you've never been to. Find a new group to go with if you normally go with a group. Anything to break out of the routine.

I do that, I met lot of different people in my mountaineer activities, but no results in finding partner. ;) I just don't have luck.
I met my ex husband and boyfriend over internet, but today even that gives no results. Maybe I'm really too old for relationship or as I said before, here is lack of quality men in my ages. And I'm not only woman who is complaining. ;)

No suitable candidate for a boyfriend?...depressing for you migima. You're feeling depressed?....that pushes prospective boyfriends away.

It's like you're on a circular path with one thing making the other worse.

Maybe a change of scenery would would help, somewhere not too far away but still a change.....like Austria or Italy....there are probably some quality men there, perhaps travelers from other countries.

migima said:
I do that, I met lot of different people in my mountaineer activities, but no results in finding partner. ;) I just don't have luck.
I met my ex husband and boyfriend over internet, but today even that gives no results. Maybe I'm really too old for relationship or as I said before, here is lack of quality men in my ages. And I'm not only woman who is complaining. ;)

You're definitely NOT too old so don't even consider that as part of the problem.

As to the lack of men that you (and others) are complaining about, I can't help you much there. lol It's sounding like you're doing the right things, you just need to keep trying. You'll find someone. :)

migima said:
wolvesjr said:

I'm not sure whether that's related to age since I'll be 27 this year and also cannot find a quality girlfriend... or a girlfriend at all.

I remember last time I took antidepressants. Interestingly enough it was a couple of years ago when I didn't even think I might have depression somehow. My ear/nose/throat doctor prescribed me these things because she had no idea what to do against my tinnitus. It didn't help but I remember that I neither felt happy nor sad. And those weren't even strong drugs.
Weird stuff.

wolvesjr said:
You're definitely NOT too old so don't even consider that as part of the problem.
As to the lack of men that you (and others) are complaining about, I can't help you much there. lol It's sounding like you're doing the right things, you just need to keep trying. You'll find someone. :)

Well, thank you, you are so kind. :)
And yes, I see, younger people also have same problem.

And that "I can't help you much there", ha, ha, yes, that's exactly where the problem is. ;) :p
OK, just kidding, or want to say - I seek for a man who will say - I'm here and I can help you. ;)

looking glass said:
I'm not sure whether that's related to age since I'll be 27 this year and also cannot find a quality girlfriend... or a girlfriend at all.
I remember last time I took antidepressants. Interestingly enough it was a couple of years ago when I didn't even think I might have depression somehow. My ear/nose/throat doctor prescribed me these things because she had no idea what to do against my tinnitus. It didn't help but I remember that I neither felt happy nor sad. And those weren't even strong drugs.
Weird stuff.

Hm, you are probably right. And that's very bad thing.
People have gone to hell, everything gone to hell ... :(

Tinnitus and antidepressants? Interesting.

And that feeling, nor happy nor sad - yes, unfortunatelly, in such a world we live today, it is obviously the best option. :(

migima said:
[...]
Hm, you are probably right. And that's very bad thing.
People have gone to hell, everything gone to hell ... :(

Tinnitus and antidepressants? Interesting.

And that feeling, nor happy nor sad - yes, unfortunatelly, in such a world we live today, it is obviously the best option. :(

Maybe it went to hell. I'm not sure. Maybe people changed, maybe they didn't. Or it could be that it changed a lot and came back around. You know, the more things change the more they stay the same.

I sometimes think about how it might have been in the 50s or something like that. Or earlier. Where people lived in smaller communities and almost everyone knew each other. I guess they then just settled with whomever they could find in their own little village and that was that, though I guess even then you could find the oddball whom no one else wanted who was then shunned.
I wager the hypothesis that since people have access to many other people through the internet and cheap travelling they always try to find someone better and if they don't get the best first impression of you you're basically out and they move on.

It's difficult to carry on and drugs may help you feel nothing but the question is whether you would really want that. I'm torn between enduring the bad and hoping for the good and between nothing at all. But what kind of life is it to feel nothing?

looking glass said:
... But what kind of life is it to feel nothing?

I think people didn't change, they was always like that, we are just that kind of beings, complicated, problematic, uncapable to see and value right things in life.
Maybe, maybe it was a little better before, but, we can only speculate about it, because, we don't live in that time.
But ok, maybe that's only my opinion, because of my depression. ;)

You are right about first impressions and running away. Yes, everybody think they have more chances and they could find better. Who knows if they right or the better was as it was before, in small communities. Because, there are so many divorces today, which leads to conclusion that even when you have possibility to chose, it can end badly. I think the problem is that people aren't capable to cultivate their relationship.

No, I don't want to feel nothing, of course not. ;) I just wanted to say that it is better than feel depressed. ;)

Personally speaking, I would consider pretty much any woman as long as she is not terribly ugly, and as long as she doesn't have kids from another man.

I will never touch a single mother. So unless that's the case, your complaint that there aren't men out there must be false.

Latest posts

Back