"Love is not Enough" Reality or Excuse

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alone By Faults

Reaction score
Multi year live in relationship. When it was ending, she told me that love is not enough. Is this a reality that can doom relationships or just an excuse to bail and not see it through? Could be a combination of both...

I am middle aged. This was what convinced me that all love is performance based and that I do not think I will find "love" for quite a while

I believe it to be the truth. I still kind of love my ex-wife and I'm sure she loved me when we broke up, but we weren't really suited as a couple and there had been way too much water under the bridge. Relationships are something you have to work at - share experiences, build memories, create a future - and if you don't, then despite the fact that you love each other, your relationship will be doomed to failure.

It's true. Love is not enough. Being "in love" is what is needed. Love can carry you through certain situations though.

Love is only enough to people lucky or inexperienced enough to have never encountered people they don't like who they are or the life they lead around.

Or who just blamed it on the other.

Very much reality. Love doesn't mean compatibility. It doesn't mean that people, including family and friends, not just romantic relationships, will get along well enough to live together and be with one another on a daily basis. Perhaps some use it as an excuse to cover up the facts of their feelings, but it's a very true thing. Love just isn't enough sometimes.

Love is a shield against reality, against the million and one things that drive us crazy about the other person. Enough fractures in that shield and it will break and reality will come screaming back in. I would like to believe that there are perfect, pure loves out there that transcend the 'normal' definition of love but in my experience, it's easier to love someone from a distance rather than have to deal with the day-to-day reality of that person. Love doesn't always conquer. :|

It's true, love is not always enough.
BUT, when someone says that and only that, I feel they are using it as an excuse so they don't have to say the real reason they are leaving.

Thank you all for the replies and sharing. Not what I wanted to hear but I had a feeling she was right.

**** sad today about it

To me, that's the definition of your 'one sided relationships'

When two people are playing active roles of sustenance to each other, then love is the catalyst. From my understanding, it's an ongoing challenge.

So it is reality, it can also be an excuse.

Latest posts

Back