How To Respond To "Why Are You Not Married Yet?"

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morse Code

Reaction score
My mother's neighbor is a busybody who, for apparently the fifty-plus years he's been alive (and been married for most of it) lacks serious social skills. He thinks it's appropriate to ask someone, me, whom he hasn't seen in over five years whether I'm getting married and "why I'm not following in my brothers' footsteps?" :club:

Of course this is the same dillhole who had speed-control devices put up and down my mom's street and the adjacent streets back when he was too lazy to keep his **** kids and dogs out of the street, and I always want to tell him off about that and ask him when the hell he's not going to petition to have them removed but you know.

I just hate this guy! My mom says "he was just making conversation", but in what universe is a question like that "normal conversation"?

How do you single folks deal with questions like that? Honestly I don't get a lot of questions like that probably because I'm not terribly talkative to most people.

Well, this seems obvious; he's over 50 and doesn't give a **** about being appropriate. You shouldn't be bothered about it, shrug it off and move on.

I would respond to that question by smiling and saying "Well, I don't know... life! I guess."

Morse Code said:
Honestly I don't get a lot of questions like that probably because I'm not terribly talkative to most people.

No, you never get questions like that because only people like that ask those kinds of questions. If you decide to become more talkative and meet socially skilled people, you won't have to answer ridiculous questions. :)

"I haven't met the right person yet and I don't want to make the wrong decision."

Or a snappier response if you're in the mood.

Next time he asks you when you're getting married, just ask him when he's going to become old enough to stay in the house. That may shut him up for a bit.

Tealeaf said:
"I haven't met the right person yet and I don't want to make the wrong decision."

I'm afraid I'm not as polite as that to busybodies, and I tend to have a smart mouth. :)

I would probably add to the first one '...I don't want to make the wrong decision like your wife apparently did.'

Or 'When will get married? About the same time you start minding your own business.'

I'm not saying you should answer like this, but I can't stand people who think you owe them an explanation for everything you do, or don't do.

Tealeaf said:

I'd prefer this approach myself aswell.

Frostburn said:
Tealeaf said:

I'd prefer this approach myself aswell.

I like this response and will bear it in mind if someone asks me this question again.

"Because I've been saving myself for you, my dear.." :D

It may be a generational thing, but it's kind of odd that a question like that should come from a baby-boomer. They practically pioneered divorce as this mainstream solution. I would expect this question more from my grandparents. Who are no longer with us, but when I would hear from them that question always comes up.

I just shrug and say "I haven't been looking". Which is basically the truth.

ladyforsaken said:
I get asked the same question every **** time I meet relatives.

This!

How I respond depends on my mood. But definitely sassy with nosy relatives :D

I just tell them I'm divorced. Seriously. That shuts them up.

I say "Been there. Done that. You'll know in a couple years."

I'm an ass.

I work with some guys whose entire identity is based on the fact that they are married. They have nothing else going for them, no other components to their personalities.

They just work, pay the bills, mow the lawn, and can claim they have a wife.

It's pretty freaking ridiculous.

These guys are so bland. I'd rather hang out with my cats.

MY go-to is "GFY".
It's really nobody's business.
Besides, they spend an hour with me and they understand perfectly well no girl would be stupid or crazy enough to want to marry me ;-)

The few times I've been asked that, my response was "When are you going to propose?" It got some good laughs and diffused the tension, at least, although the much longer and convoluted answer I wanted to give would have been "I'll let you know when I'm getting married just as soon as some guy out there gives me a second glance, decides he likes me, gets up the nerve to ask me out, decides he likes me enough to ask me out on subsequent dates, and then finally decides that he likes me enough to want to spend the rest of his life with me, gets up the nerve to propose to me, we get engaged, and then FINALLY pick a date for our wedding."

Latest posts

Back