My friend was almost killed this weekend

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h3donist

Reaction score
Hi ALLers

I've been in a bit of turmoil this weekend - my best friend was almost killed in a road accident. She's fine though, just bad leg injuries that will heal over time - she's more bothered about her car! I remember finding out via Facebook - the accident had happened a day before but because I'm just a close friend rather than family I wasn't told until the day after, where I literally stopped what I was doing (eating lunch) and ran out of the door. I didn't know the actual way to the hospital either, but I just pointed my car in the general direction and eventually found it signposted. I ran all the way to the wards she was in. The relief of seeing her awake in bed, sitting up and smiling was overwhelming.

We've been friends for almost 20 years, met at school through her sister who was in my class, we found we had tons in common and quickly formed a bond that despite distances (I left her behind to go travelling then she moved away) we've always been close. She's gay so we don't have any awkwardness associated when a boy and a girl become friends because nothing could happen between us. But I'd take a bullet for her, seriously I would.

I was going to take her clubbing, and take her to London to see a particular landmark but that's now not going to happen until she gets better which will probably take months.

But now I feel really strange - like the adrenaline of rushing to the hospital has not really subsided, even though I know she is ok. She's got her mum and girlfriend to take care of her yet I still picture her on her own, struggling to manage. It's taking me all my willpower to not just stop work and drive to the hospital again. It's odd. I worry that I will become overbearing and she won't want to see me because I message her all the time. I tell myself she needs me, yet she has a huge support network of people and I'm probably nowhere near the top of people she would call on which leaves me a bit lost sometimes as I don't know where I stand.

Is it natural to feel this strongly about someone you care about, even if it's just a friend?

I feel very strongly about best friends and close friends. So, it seems normal to me that you feel so strongly, but I'd maybe ease up on the messaging her bit…give her some space to recover, yet still remain in contact.

SophiaGrace said:
I feel very strongly about best friends and close friends. So, it seems normal to me that you feel so strongly, but I'd maybe ease up on the messaging her bit…give her some space to recover, yet still remain in contact.

Yeah I will - I'll wait to hear from her before sending any messages and I won't go and visit her until she tells me she's ready :)

I'm sorry to hear about your friend and I'm glad to hear that she's okay. And I'm sure she'll contact you when she's ready to see you. ~hugs~

Update: She's back in touch with me now and has been allowed home. I told her to get herself settled and I'll visit her when she's ready. Thanks for listening guys :)

You sound like you're being a great friend to her. I wish her a speedy recovery.

It sounds more like she's become a sister to you. I don't think your reaction is strange, especially considering the danger she was in. She's lucky to have you. =)

Latest posts

Back