The Love of Reading

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Mouse

1. Reading is actually enjoyable.
Contrary to how some people feel about books, I actually adore reading. Of course, this is a very vague comment because it depends on what I'm reading of course, but, in general, I enjoy reading books in preference to being on computer. They also help bring sleep.

2. Reading is one of the smartest things you can do.
Let's face it, we're now living in an age where technology and computers have got the best of us. The beautiful art of reading and writing has been replaced by brain-numbing video games, Nintendo, PS1, 2 and 3, X-box... I can't even keep up with all of it. Why not learn something useful and pick up a book, instead of learning how to get to level 10 on COD or whatever other games it is you guys play, but that is just me rattling on, so don't be offended.

3. Reading is magical.
Fictions novels (and non-fiction too) are like a time machine. They possess the incredible power to take you to another time and another world, and experience the adventure that you are reading. I don't know how it is for others, but when I read a good book, its contents occupy my mind long after I have read the last page. During the story, all I can think about is "Oh no, what's going to happen to this character? I bet so and so is really the bad guy..." and, if the story is really good, you won't be able to put it down until you finish it. Just a word of clarification: the Twilight series is the one that does not possess this quality, but they are NOT good books. Real vampires do not sparkle - and as for Bella Swan, I wanted to punch her in the face! Vapid creature.

4. Reading books tells us a lot about people.
Even if non-biographical or completely fictional, books tell us a lot about how people live(d), think, thought and how society is or was structured during the author's time. In fact, books and written documents are one of the few reasons why we know so much about history and people of past generations.

5. Reading a book is like going on a treasure hunt.
In this case, the treasure is the hidden message or messages that the author is trying to tell his or her readers, and the hunt is the journey of closely reading the book to try and find it. Whether of a political, social, dark or humorous nature, every good book contains some depth and tells us a secret that we did not know before.

6. Reading is practice.
If, like me, you aspire to produce your own books some day, then the best thing you can do is read. And read. And read. But obviously write as well, because, you know a book isn't going to write itself. Seriously though, reading is great practice for the mind, and, it goes without saying that the more you read, the more you know about literature and subsequently fall in love with it.

All excellent points on why we should take some time out to read every day. :)

You can still plays your video games, but you can also take some time to let your mind create the world that you're reading about

Great posting, Mouse. I can only second all these points. Reading is essential in so many obvious and not so much obvious ways ...

I can't imagine myself separated from books, that's how much I love reading. I hope I never go blind.

Latest posts

Back