Letting the Steam out.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. M

Reaction score
Hey, I'm just going to keep it short and sweet, or...bitter - sweet, or whatever. Basically, I'm in a situation where...llet's just say I'm not meant to not be depressed, there's nothing I can do to change it and no support for it. So, being depressed is a given fact, and it brings lots of despair, a lack of motivation to live and lots of headaches along with that annoying feeling of something stuck down the throat. My depression may or may not be clinical. So, the question is, does anyone know a healthy way to let anger out which does not need a facility or hard to carry around object? Apparently letting all the anger out at once is not very healthy. Or should I just get Antidepressants, but will that make it harder to overcome Depression without them?

Yes, whatever. Sometimes anger is a product of depression you know. So, if you take the antidepressants, the anger will go away. Oftentimes with males, depression is expressed through irritability and anger, as well as substance abuse. It is externalized depression, rather than the more well known expression of it being rumination and tearfulness that is how women express depression when they have it. An internalized way of expressing it.

Expression of depression also varies across cultures, with Asians having more physical complaints, and first nation peoples describing it as being broken-hearted.

It seems like it is getting in the way of how you'd like to feel and live your life, so you should think about treatment. One of the lies that depression tells you is that it is never going to be gotten rid of. Don't listen to that, get treatment, be persistent in getting treatment.

Good luck.

Find a hobby that you enjoy. Hobbies allow you to channel frustrations out in a positive way.
For example, some people might like to paint, so they paint their anger and negative emotions. This helps them to relieve their stress and simultaneously produce something that they can relate to and that others might also relate to. It may take some time before you figure out how to channel your emotions properly, but it's well worth the time.

If you just need a 'quick vent', you could do something like punching a pillow, taking deep breathes and counting. Some people like those little stress ball things, too. There are rubber ones you can squeeze or metal ones you roll around in your hand. Though these are always temporary fixes and don't resolve any problems except the momentary ones. The problem will just keep coming back until you learn to deal with it in a different way. So, again, I'd recommend a hobby.

Though really, it's rather important to understand the situations which creates such anger and do your best to get out of it, or to learn to actually deal with the situation itself, if possible.

Running was always a good outlet for me, but that's definitely not for everyone. If there's some kind of exercise you like, you could try that. Even if you don't have it in your head that you like exercising, you could still try it.
A punching bag is a good outlet, also. You get to release the frustration on a "safe" target.
Meditation is another good outlet, as long as you aren't too worked up.

But, as Despicable Me said, it's very important to avoid situations that anger you, at least until you learn to deal with them better. Find a better outlook on life, if you learn to accept things as they are, they won't bother you as much.

I second Callie that exercise might be a good way to deal with your emotions. It gives you endorphins.

Meditation I think trains you to build new neural pathways.

Do as you will.

I'd agree Meditation is a good general practice for everyone.
Though, if practiced as a form of relaxation and internal reflection - not the New Agey nonsense where you try to focus your Chi, try to completely clear your mind, sit in an uncomfortable position, or any of that other New Age BS.
Meditation is intended as a form of relaxing and internal reflection (i.e. thinking about yourself and contemplating your life and reality). New Ageism has turned it into a bunch of silly Capitalistic nonsense that is not truly helpful to anyone.

Exercise is also a good hobby, but of course that one usually makes you sweaty and best saved for times when you have a shower available.

You could combine the two and do Yoga. I've heard a lot of amazing things about Yoga, and, of course, I'm really not someone who likes the New Age stuff, as you might have been able to tell. :) Unlike a lot of New Age stuff, Yoga is legit and mostly the same as it has always been.

All of the above can be done to reduce the frustration build up and the best one is Meditation but as Despicable Me suggests don't follow mumjo jumbo of Agency. Follow a proper one, It sure will calm your nerve. Exercise helps too. Finding a hobby is also good. Painting, writing, singing who knows may be you have some hidden talent and you didn't know about it yet. Worthy to be tried.

But when all the above things do not work then I have a way to deal with build up frustration. Scream, but not at people, find somewhere quiet and isolated place and scream to your heart's content. But I'm telling ya it's not a healthy advise You might become addictive to it and then you will start screaming at everyone so use it as a last resort. But I think you won't be needing this. I'm pretty sure one of the above will definitely work for you.

Good Luck :)

The only thing that's really helped me with feeling sad or angry other than channeling it in a constructive way - like telling my daughter she needs to clean up after herself instead of angrily cleaning up the mess myself - is walk, walk, walk. I've gone for walks for miles and miles on occasion through neighborhoods, urban areas, parks, you name it. It's very therapeutic and releases mood-boosting endorphins. I've never been in a bad mood after going for a long walk..

-Teresa

Latest posts

Back