My friend lies a lot...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Seal The Albatros

Reaction score
I hate to talk behind my friend's back like this, but I think I need to get this issue sorted.

I've had this friend for a while. He tend to lie a LOT, usually about things that are really out there, such as him joining the NHL or always winning 1st place at something. Most of the time, his stories will contradict each other, and when I point it out, he'll change the lie a bit. He's even admitted he lies occasionally. Now, I've been okay with this for a while now, but he's talking about darker stuff nowadays, such as depression.
I'm all in for helping him, but the problem is, I can't tell if he's being serious or not. I've found sometimes he'll tell me "X bad thing happened, call me," and when I do, he'll be perfectly fine and when I bring up the topic, he'd sort of brush it away and his tone of voice would suggest anything but sad. He's also insisted his father's dead when he's obviously in the background when I call.

So I'm looking for any way to try and fix this before this gets out of hand. Any ideas?

Well, I don't think there's anything to fix. Perhaps if you say that you'd like to talk to him about something that's bothering you and then tell him everything you're thinking, it may sink in. But then again, it may not. If he's under the impression that certain things are a certain way, then he's just going to continue to believe what he's thinking.

Yeah, I could try that. Do you know how I could say that though? I know it sounds like a weird question, but I don't really know how to put it into words.

Yeah, straight forward way is the best just as VC suggested. Let him know what is going on in your mind. May be he will listen and may be not but definitely worth a try.

I have no idea how counselors treat pathological lying. Can't really suggest anything.

Pathological Lying is usually because someone thinks their life is too uninteresting without the lies, the root of that is a fear and insecurity issue.
So you could try dealing with him as if he really does have depression and/or low self-esteem and just see if it works.

Probably shouldn't ignore someone who says they are depressed even if they do lie a lot. Many people with depression are very good at hiding it, even in their voice tones.

Latest posts

Back