How to look good?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M_also_lonely

Reaction score
People always ignored me because according to them, I look wierd. Girls dont talk to me because there is something wierd in my looks.

But that doesn't matter to me. Not I really dont care much.

A few experts that I met, saud the same thing. They said tjat my facial structure is such that I look like a kid. My reflects childishness. Not manliness. I cant show expressions properly through my face.They said, its not my fault. Its genetic and natural.

But I dont want to look like a child. I want to look like a mature person and handsome, not like a little kid.

So any solutions??

:club:

*facepalm* Christ on a bike, where do I start with this steam-driven, ocean-going, copper-bottomed, weapons grade pile of nonsense?

Who are these "experts"? Where do you go to find them?

You just have a face - that's it. Some people have a more youthful face than others but that's only when you're middle aged and some people look the same as when they were teenagers while others look like they've never slept a wink since they've left school.. These people are commonly know as Parents. An aged face usually is the result of excessive alcohol and cigarettes, working in cold conditions and not looking after their skin. There's wonderful phrases in the UK that someone looks like a "slapped arse" "bag of ferrets" "a bulldog licking piss off a nettle" etc.

But you say you have the opposite problem, that you look "too youthful" - well here's news for you: it is because you are young! The days of wrinkles, spots, blemishes, crows feet, unruly stubble etc will creep up on you so enjoy it while you can.

The only tip I can give is that if you are able to grow a neat stubble then that will give you a slightly manly look but only if it is done properly - there's nothing worse than a pubescent beard - and every man here will sympathise. Let it grow for a few days, then trim it carefully and see how you look. If it looks ridiculous then just stay clean shaven and enjoy your boyish looks and and within a few years you will either start to lose them or, if you are lucky, keep yours while everyone around you start to lose theirs. I've grown the first beard I've ever been happy with and I'm 35 this year.

You need to listen to the constant advice people here give you - stop trying to impress your peers (who sound like a group of dicks anyway), stop trying to judge your self-worth on whether so-and-so notices you and start to forge your own path in life and all the things you long for; girls, attention etc will come naturally. You have NO control on how others perceive you so stop begging for their acceptance and concentrate on yourself. All the beards and girlfriends in the world aren't going to change their minds so give it up.

Finish your course with decent grades then go and live an amazing life. If you do that, you will one day find yourself in a remote part of the world, staring at the most stunning scenery and breathing in the freshest air, or wading through a tropical lagoon which the sun warms your back, or helping villagers dig a well that'll give them fresh and clean drinking water, or riding an elephant in India or leaping out of an aeroplane New Zealand....and all of this unwinnable popularity contest you are engaged in will be just a memory.

h3donist said:

*facepalm* Christ on a bike, where do I start with this steam-driven, ocean-going, copper-bottomed, weapons grade pile of nonsense?

You just have a face - that's it. Some people have a more youthful face than others but that's only when you're middle aged and some people look the same as when they were teenagers while others look like they've never slept a wink since they've left school.. These people are commonly know as Parents. An aged face usually is the result of excessive alcohol and cigarettes, working in cold conditions and not looking after their skin. There's wonderful phrases in the UK that someone looks like a "slapped arse" "bag of ferrets" "a bulldog licking piss off a nettle" etc.

But you say you have the opposite problem, that you look "too youthful" - well here's news for you: it is because you are young! The days of wrinkles, spots, blemishes, crows feet, unruly stubble etc will creep up on you so enjoy it while you can.

The only tip I can give is that if you are able to grow a neat stubble then that will give you a slightly manly look but only if it is done properly - there's nothing worse than a pubescent beard - and every man here will sympathise. Let it grow for a few days, then trim it carefully and see how you look. If it looks ridiculous then just stay clean shaven and enjoy your boyish looks and and within a few years you will either start to lose them or, if you are lucky, keep yours while everyone around you start to lose theirs. I've grown the first beard I've ever been happy with and I'm 35 this year.

You need to listen to the constant advice people here give you - stop trying to impress your peers (who sound like a group of dicks anyway), stop trying to judge your self-worth on whether so-and-so notices you and start to forge your own path in life and all the things you long for; girls, attention etc will come naturally. You have NO control on how others perceive you so stop begging for their acceptance and concentrate on yourself. All the beards and girlfriends in the world aren't going to change their minds so give it up.

Finish your course with decent grades then go and live an amazing life. If you do that, you will one day find yourself in a remote part of the world, staring at the most stunning scenery and breathing in the freshest air, or wading through a tropical lagoon which the sun warms your back, or helping villagers dig a well that'll give them fresh and clean drinking water, or riding an elephant in India or leaping out of an aeroplane New Zealand....and all of this unwinnable popularity contest you are engaged in will be just a memory.

It's not nonsense at all. Your face and facial expressions are very important. That is what people or women see first and first impressions are very important.

I have a miserable looking face. And even though I am not miserable and in fact happy most of the time, that's what people see. That's why no woman wants me and that's why older women feel sorry for me. Add onto that my very miserable sounding voice, unusual body shape and that's why I am single and women ignore me.

But I think the OP is worrying about things too much and should concentrate on other more important stuff. eg money, work, hobbies, friends. Not especially women.

Triple Bogey said:
h3donist said:

It's not nonsense at all. Your face and facial expressions are very important. That is what people or women see first and first impressions are very important.

I have a miserable looking face. And even though I am not miserable and in fact happy most of the time, that's what people see. That's why no woman wants me and that's why older women feel sorry for me. Add onto that my very miserable sounding voice, unusual body shape and that's why I am single and women ignore me.

But I think the OP is worrying about things too much and should concentrate on other more important stuff. eg money, work, hobbies, friends. Not especially women.

I have never seen a "miserable" looking in face in my entire life - I've seen people choosing to look miserable; the frowns, the wild stares, that air of "life's honeysuckle then you die" that people give off, but nobody looks miserable by default.

Also when you say "women ignore you" what are you actually doing to try to attract them? Do you talk to girls and they turn the other way or are you saying you're expecting a woman to walk up to you and say "yes, you have acceptable facial features, wanna be my boyfriend?" They're not alien species you have to conquer, they're people just like you, you have to meet them half way at least! Get to know them first, be their friend, join a club or volunteer so you have something in common at least.

The OP claimed the several "experts" had told him he had an expressionless, childlike face which is what I am questioning, and he also wants to know how to look more mature which will either come in time (unless he is Peter Pan or knows the elixir of youth in which case he'll be the richest man alive) or to try and grow some facial hair which takes practice and time to get right.

h3donist said:

I wanted to share something with you...I sent you a PM.
And yes I am figuring my problem that I have a false belief that one must have a girlfriend.

Looking good is easy with the right makeup.

111joker-smile-.jpg

h3donist said:
Triple Bogey said:
h3donist said:

I have never seen a "miserable" looking in face in my entire life - I've seen people choosing to look miserable; the frowns, the wild stares, that air of "life's honeysuckle then you die" that people give off, but nobody looks miserable by default.

Also when you say "women ignore you" what are you actually doing to try to attract them? Do you talk to girls and they turn the other way or are you saying you're expecting a woman to walk up to you and say "yes, you have acceptable facial features, wanna be my boyfriend?" They're not alien species you have to conquer, they're people just like you, you have to meet them half way at least! Get to know them first, be their friend, join a club or volunteer so you have something in common at least.

The OP claimed the several "experts" had told him he had an expressionless, childlike face which is what I am questioning, and he also wants to know how to look more mature which will either come in time (unless he is Peter Pan or knows the elixir of youth in which case he'll be the richest man alive) or to try and grow some facial hair which takes practice and time to get right.

You are wrong. People have miserable looking faces by default. My face sort of settles into a frown. It's to do with my mouth. People tell me to cheer up when I am happy. It's happened all my life. The area manager insulted me in front of some customers a couple of years ago and when I talked to this other customer about it he knew what I was talking about. He had gone thru the same thing. He said to me ' I bet your a really happy person as well aren't you ?' - I told him I was.

I imagine the OP has a similar looking face, he mentioned childlike. He maybe looks slightly odd (no offense to him because he can't help it)

People who are attractive or normal looking have no idea what it's like to look a bit odd, have a silly hair cut, have a strange voice and so on. Life for these people is tough. And it's easy to criticize them. I admire the underdog, I admire these people. Not all of us whinge about our lives, we get on with it and make the best of it.

Attractiveness is a very broad sense, and varies from person to person. Some people may like a frowning or a pouting face.

Triple Bogey said:
People who are attractive or normal looking have no idea what it's like to look a bit odd, have a silly hair cut, have a strange voice and so on. Life for these people is tough. And it's easy to criticize them. I admire the underdog, I admire these people. Not all of us whinge about our lives, we get on with it and make the best of it.

Wait wait wait...so if you are attractive you can't ever have a "silly hair cut" or a "strange" voice? Bullshit. I know a lot of good looking people who have had VERY bad haircuts and also odd voices. Those have nothing to do with looks.

TheRealCallie said:
Triple Bogey said:

Wait wait wait...so if you are attractive you can't ever have a "silly hair cut" or a "strange" voice? Bullshit. I know a lot of good looking people who have had VERY bad haircuts and also odd voices. Those have nothing to do with looks.

Bullshit to you as well.

I think since I am right about it, you just looked thru my words to find something to argue with. I very much doubt you look odd or funny so you don't know what's it like.

I will re phrase my words. Silly hair style then. That is what I meant. People with odd sounding voices will find it harder to meet people / make friends or even get on in life than other people. Anybody who 'talks funny' gets more insults from people.

Some people - they just look odd or act odd and people judge them in seconds. It's human nature.

VanillaCreme said:
Attractiveness is a very broad sense, and varies from person to person. Some people may like a frowning or a pouting face.

Yes true.

Although a 'frown' is very unattractive.
A smile is the opposite.
My advice to people with a natural 'frown' is to smile as much as possible. (This is something I do !)

Triple Bogey said:
TheRealCallie said:
Triple Bogey said:

Bullshit to you as well.

I think since I am right about it, you just looked thru my words to find something to argue with. I very much doubt you look odd or funny so you don't know what's it like.

I will re phrase my words. Silly hair style then. That is what I meant. People with odd sounding voices will find it harder to meet people / make friends or even get on in life than other people. Anybody who 'talks funny' gets more insults from people.

Some people - they just look odd or act odd and people judge them in seconds. It's human nature.

No, I actually don't agree with any of what you said, the part I quoted was just completely ridiculous. Hair and voice does not make you good looking. Well, okay, fine, the hair has something to do with looks, but it's something that can be changed if you don't like it or think it's silly.

No, I don't look odd or funny, but I spent a lot of years THINKING I did. While I don't think I look odd or funny anymore, I don't think I'm all that good looking. Ask anyone who's seen what I look like and they will tell you that what I believe of myself is not true to anyone else.
I've seen YOU before and what YOU believe of yourself is not the truth. It's the way YOU perceive it. So yes, I do get it, because for years I thought I was fat and ugly, okay I was fat, but that's besides the point. And yes, rude people will always tell you all your faults and what THEY think is wrong with you, but that rude person means nothing. What means something is what you think of YOURSELF. How you feel about yourself will reflect onto others.

M_also_lonely said:
People always ignored me because according to them, I look wierd. Girls dont talk to me because there is something wierd in my looks.

But that doesn't matter to me. Not I really dont care much.
People who don't talk to others just because they think they "look weird" are superficial.
Who would even want to talk to those people, anyway? I know I'm bothered if a superficial person talks to me. I want to get away from those conversations as soon as possible. I get so bored and annoyed. It's frustrating.

I know you said you don't care about that, and I hope that's true. But if that's true then why'd you make this topic?

M_also_lonely said:
A few experts that I met, saud the same thing. They said tjat my facial structure is such that I look like a kid. My reflects childishness. Not manliness. I cant show expressions properly through my face.They said, its not my fault. Its genetic and natural.
"Experts"? So you have some kind of genetic thing that makes you look different?

It's understandable why superficial people might not want to talk to you, but you shouldn't let this bother you. Even if those people talked to you, you'd probably realize you don't even like the things they talk about. They are very boring and uninteresting people. So don't get down about that, you're not losing anything there.
If anything you've just got a free pass to filter out all the really boring people (and there are a lot of them). It's the silver lining to your dark cloud. You just need to learn to enjoy those dark clouds. Everyone needs the clouds sometimes. Some people get way too much sun and they end up shriveling up and withering away inside. Know what I mean?

M_also_lonely said:
But I dont want to look like a child. I want to look like a mature person and handsome, not like a little kid.

So any solutions??
Yeah, there is one very easy solution, but you're not going to like it... Stop wanting things like that.
Be happy with who you are. You are unique. Learn to love yourself the way you are and stop trying to change that. Learn to love and accept that uniqueness. Embrace it and make it a big part of who you are instead of trying to reject it.

You often talk about being 'normal' and being 'like everyone else', but why would you want that? Most people live boring lives with other boring superficial people.
It's so uninteresting. It's so tedious. It's so boring. Most people do pretty much nothing with their lives. They don't even try, and that's the thing. They are often so preoccupied with selfish, materialistic, and superficial things to really even understand and know what is really important. So many people are obsessed with their looks because they tie their self-worth to how other people see them. They are incapable of being happy with themselves because they never were.

Why would you want that? To become just another superficial and uninteresting person? To be the same as everyone else, and to blend in with the crowd and just disappear like they do?

You're different, M. Accept that. Be proud of that. Use that to your advantage.
Take those gray skies and make it rain so that the crops below will grow and you can harvest plenty and be rich in life. Rich in love.

Your problem isn't your looks, no one's problem ever is. Your real problem is your desire to be someone different than who you really are. Your constant need to be someone and something you're not. Trying to be that person will only get you in trouble and make you miserable. You don't want to go down that road.

Just be yourself, M. Love yourself for who you are. You're a great person and you're interesting, too. Why try to change that? Be happy with who you are, M.

Tell you what I like seeing. A smartly dressed guy. Crisp white shirt, polished shoes, a great jacket and a winning smile. Doesn't matter to me if a guy looks like the back of a bus, it's his personality, it's him carring himself well and being polite to a lady.

Triple Bogey said:
Yes true.

A smile is the opposite.
My advice to people with a natural 'frown' is to smile as much as possible. (This is something I do !)

I've been told I have one of those scowling faces too, all my life. It's just the way my face sits naturally. People are always thinking I'm angry or unhappy when I'm not at all.

I've also been told all my life that when I smile I look "unnatural", "weird", "crazy", "psycho", etc. So I guess I lose either way. :p

I'm not sure where I was going with this, except to say that you (general you) can claim that a frowning face is the reason people reject you, but then you can also claim that a smiling face is the reason people reject you; and if it can happen either way, then you eventually have to ask yourself if it even matters at all. You can't always place the blame for the way people perceive you or treat you directly on your face, and you know what I've discovered? Sometimes people think you're angry or unhappy because they are feeling angry or unhappy. They see in others what they're feeling inside. Call me cynical, but people tend to be self-involved most of the time, and you'd probably be surprised at how often someone's rejection or perception of you has very little to do with you. Of course this is very hard to remember when people are commenting or even badgering you about the way you look, and even harder to believe when you've felt undesirable for most or all of your life. But humanity is too diverse to say that one thing will always get you a negative response and another thing will always get you a positive response, and people are going to find something to pick at you about no matter what if they want to, so you might as well not worry about it. You can analyze your looks to death but it's not going to satisfy you.

Solivagant said:
Sometimes people think you're angry or unhappy because they are feeling angry or unhappy. They see in others what they're feeling inside. Call me cynical, but people tend to be self-involved most of the time, and you'd probably be surprised at how often someone's rejection or perception of you has very little to do with you.
This is so true! You may not even realize how true this really is.
I've thought so much about this, and I've come to the same conclusion.

I don't think it's really cynical. It's completely natural for people to be self-involved. I mean, who in the world do you spend the most time with? Yourself, of course!
Everyone is self-involved by nature, because they can only be themselves and can't escape that.

People shouldn't take rejection as a horrible thing, or as there being any problem with themselves. Not everyone was meant to be together, lots of people don't even get along at all. It's like a puzzle, not every piece fits together and if you wedge some pieces together you just make a mess and get them stuck. They become miserable pieces that don't fit in together anywhere and inevitably they need to get unstuck, and sometimes that's really hard to do.

And people really do see in others what they are feeling in themselves, especially when people are unable to admit to themselves what they are really feeling.
I'm pretty sure this is the subconscious's way of telling us something like this: "Hey, it's perfectly natural to feel this way. See? That person feels this way, too. That's someone you can relate to."

There exceptions, of course. If you're constantly negative, if you're arrogant, uncaring, narcissistic, selfish, or etc, or if you're abusive, cheating, etc.
Then, yeah, maybe it is your fault. Everyone will leave you and you'll lose everything when you're like that. Nobody wants that. You're doing wrong and you probably know you're doing wrong, but you just don't care. Not caring is a big problem no matter what you're doing.
These people very likely all know who they are. And if they don't stop, it's on them. We are all responsible for our own actions.

But if we are trying our best, and it still doesn't work, then there is no problem there. We tried. The pieces didn't fit. Accept it and move on. Everyone can find their match one day, if they keep looking and if they look in the right places.

Knowing yourself is a big part of all of this. If you're seeing a lot of miserable people in the world, and you're miserable, too, then maybe you should think about why that is. Everyone needs self-realization, or else they are prone to just falling victim to themselves.
See anger in someone and you have uncontrollable anger in yourself, but don't even realize this because you refuse to admit to it, then how is anyone going to be with you? If you can't accept yourself then how is anyone else ever going to accept you? And how would you accept them or even see them for who they really are? You think everyone is angry, so you might find your match but only see anger, not love.

I think Disney has ruined a lot of people on stuff like this. A kiss isn't going to magically fix the world. It isn't going to end the evil. It isn't going to make everyone live happily ever after. A kiss is not going to make you a happy person.

Not to beat up on just Disney, it's obviously not just them. It's a mentality in the world that has penetrated society. This concept of "True Love" which rights all wrongs and fixes broken men, and saves the damsel-in-distress. How often is this seen in movies and TV shows?
Here's a news flash for the world: Broken people are not going to stop being broken just because you love them. If you're in distress, **** it, just save yourself.

I thought that way for too long, myself. I was the broken one. I thought I was hopeless. I was angry and hateful and miserable and I saw everyone else as angry and hateful and miserable. And I thought that 'Love' would save me.
And stupidly I thought it did for a long time. I did find love when I was down... but now I realize that she wasn't the one who saved me. That all along I was doing it myself, because I was curing the way I thought, and that I was doing it before I met her, but I just wasn't there yet.

I could not even love her when I met her, folks. This is the truth. The first time I ever talked with my wife-to-be I insulted her and made her cry and she left. I have no idea why she didn't give up on me then and forever.

I was a horrible person, but all that time I thought it was everyone else who was horrible.
I was an angry person, and the whole time I thought it was everyone else who was angry.
I was a miserable person, and the whole time I thought everyone in the whole world was miserable and some were just denying it.
I thought, for so very, very long, that it was everyone else who would not talk to me, but in reality it was me who would never talk to them.
... I thought it was her saving me, but truthfully I was the one who saved myself.

It's funny how these things work out...

Sorry for the rant everyone... Just thought some of you might be able to learn from my experiences.
Listen to Solivagant, they are right.

Solivagant said:
Triple Bogey said:
Yes true.

A smile is the opposite.

I've been told I have one of those scowling faces too, all my life. It's just the way my face sits naturally. People are always thinking I'm angry or unhappy when I'm not at all.

I've also been told all my life that when I smile I look "unnatural", "weird", "crazy", "psycho", etc. So I guess I lose either way. :p

I'm not sure where I was going with this, except to say that you (general you) can claim that a frowning face is the reason people reject you, but then you can also claim that a smiling face is the reason people reject you; and if it can happen either way, then you eventually have to ask yourself if it even matters at all. You can't always place the blame for the way people perceive you or treat you directly on your face, and you know what I've discovered? Sometimes people think you're angry or unhappy because they are feeling angry or unhappy. They see in others what they're feeling inside. Call me cynical, but people tend to be self-involved most of the time, and you'd probably be surprised at how often someone's rejection or perception of you has very little to do with you. Of course this is very hard to remember when people are commenting or even badgering you about the way you look, and even harder to believe when you've felt undesirable for most or all of your life. But humanity is too diverse to say that one thing will always get you a negative response and another thing will always get you a positive response, and people are going to find something to pick at you about no matter what if they want to, so you might as well not worry about it. You can analyze your looks to death but it's not going to satisfy you.

I have a nice smile and people mention it too.
Which is nice.

HoodedMonk said:
You guys…complaining about your face.

Good grief.

*sigh*

Just mentioning facts, the way of the world !

Attractive or not, I've never actually been desired or seen as a sexual being by anyone. It's not really a confidence thing with me. Years and years of rejection gets the point across pretty easily. No hiding from reality. Wish I had a solution for you OP. Ignore the normies, only a fellow robot would understand.

Latest posts

Back