Internet date meeting

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiina63

Reaction score
I started writing to a man in another country on a dating site only some weeks ago and he became enthusiastic very quickly, saying he thinks we will be right for each other etc etc. I have noticed however that he writes very little which I can get hold of (such as about his day to day life or his family background or his opinions on world events or on much else, apart from writing in his first email that he is widowed with an adult son), and in the past when someone has blown hot from the start but has also said very little of substance, I have found that either they want just anyone or they are hiding something (usually that they are already in a relationship.) So I haven't invested emotionally in this-I can't say 'relationship' as really it isn't one because I know virtually nothing about him. He is writing about coming to this country to see me next month and I wrote to say that he would have to book into a hotel as I wouldn't let someone I hardly know stay at my house. He agreed to this but has written to ask me to pay for his hotel in advance and that he will refund me the money when he comes. I have a very bad feeling about this and, to be honest, about the whole situation. I am strongly tempted to break off all contact with him as his wanting to meet me after only a few weeks when he lives so far away and when he has told me almost nothing about himself brings up big red flags. Are my instincts here right or am I being paranoid?
He comes from a western European country so isn't someone looking for a passport only.

I don't know about passport but if it were me in that situation I wouldn't do it,if you two are right for each other why the rush? and why such little contact?. Also i'm not sure I would be too happy to pay for a hotel room for someone I have never met and know so little about. I think you should just follow your gut instincts.

No way. You're right on the mark about him. Red flags everywhere.
Rather than break contact immediately maybe you could just tell him how you feel and tell him very openly you're not going to pay for anything because you don't really know him, and that if he wants to come he can come on his own accord (if you actually still care to meet him).
But if you don't see anything happening there now, with all the red flags, breaking contact would be my second choice.

Tiina63 said:
I started writing to a man in another country on a dating site only some weeks ago and he became enthusiastic very quickly, saying he thinks we will be right for each other etc etc. I have noticed however that he writes very little which I can get hold of (such as about his day to day life or his family background or his opinions on world events or on much else, apart from writing in his first email that he is widowed with an adult son), and in the past when someone has blown hot from the start but has also said very little of substance, I have found that either they want just anyone or they are hiding something (usually that they are already in a relationship.) So I haven't invested emotionally in this-I can't say 'relationship' as really it isn't one because I know virtually nothing about him. He is writing about coming to this country to see me next month and I wrote to say that he would have to book into a hotel as I wouldn't let someone I hardly know stay at my house. He agreed to this but has written to ask me to pay for his hotel in advance and that he will refund me the money when he comes. I have a very bad feeling about this and, to be honest, about the whole situation. I am strongly tempted to break off all contact with him as his wanting to meet me after only a few weeks when he lives so far away and when he has told me almost nothing about himself brings up big red flags. Are my instincts here right or am I being paranoid?
He comes from a western European country so isn't someone looking for a passport only.

Please be careful. The rule is DON'T EVER SEND ANY MONEY !
Stick to that please. Don't get conned out of money. I'm sorry I am putting a downer on it but I got scammed out of money a few years back. What usually happens is when they are coming to see you, something happens and they ask you for some money. You send the money and they never turn up.

I would not put money out for a hotel, or anything for that matter. I don't know, if he hasn't really shared much about himself....i might ask for him to do that and talk on the phone and skype or whatever for a little bit before he even thinks of coming to visit.

good luck with this and hope all goes well.

Serephina-I agree, why the rush? It seems odd that someone would be willing to come here after a few weeks writing, and who hardly knows me either.
DM-I might write openly and say that he would have to arrange the hotel himself and payment as well, without involving me. Though I feel uneasy about the whole thing and wonder if, even he does this, would there be some other similar issue if we were to meet?
TB- Thank you for your advice, and please don't apologise for 'putting a downer' on it. As I am on a very limited income, I couldn't pay for his room incase he did not refund me the money because I wouldn't be able to save up and replace the money in my savings afterwards. He wrote that he can't understand any English (we write in his language) so is unable to book a room himself, but surely he could go to a travel agent's in his own country if this is the case and do it through them? No, I think I might just let the whole situation alone.

Tiina63 said:
DM-I might write openly and say that he would have to arrange the hotel himself and payment as well, without involving me. Though I feel uneasy about the whole thing and wonder if, even he does this, would there be some other similar issue if we were to meet?
Yeah, you're right. Something like that could come up even if you were to meet.
Honestly what I'd do if I were in the position is tell them not to come and that I'd like to get to know them better first, and that I wouldn't pay for anything because I'd never met them.

Actually.... I might have even done that before a long time ago. What I just said sounds so familiar. lol

Look at this and multiply it by 100.

redflags1.jpg

If this guy has money to travel from another country to yours he should have enough money to find himself a reasonable hotel in your area on the internet all by himself.

Hey Tiina. I think your instincts are most likely correct here but there's a slim chance he might be legit. You could tell him that you're paying out a lot at the moment and can't afford the added expense of a hotel bill. If he's shady, he'll probably drop you like a bad habit, if not, he may be willing to work something out for himself.

I'm curious, have you just been emailing back and forth or have you chatted over Skype or anything?

This sounds like some bum…

Despicable Me said:
No way. You're right on the mark about him. Red flags everywhere.
Rather than break contact immediately maybe you could just tell him how you feel and tell him very openly you're not going to pay for anything because you don't really know him, and that if he wants to come he can come on his own accord (if you actually still care to meet him).
But if you don't see anything happening there now, with all the red flags, breaking contact would be my second choice.
Wow, he won't send you flowers, or bring you flowers, or offer you some nice time together, or offer you to visit him in his country, instead he will ask you to pay for his hotel… what a gentleman, what a provider, you can see that he really wants to impress you…

Honestly, unless he was stolen all his credit cards last week (and he can also wait to get a new one)
someone who has the nerve to
a) suggest the meeting and b) asking for the other to fund them (unless the other is some very wealthy lady, then, why not)
will always find an excuse and will abuse you because you dared to suggest that his motives aren't pristine.
Personally, I would write that something came up and that I can't make it anymore, at least I'd spare myself the abusing part that is inevitably coming.

But just watch, this guy will get some really nice girl to be with and I won't.

Oh, do not ignore your instincts, Tiina! If your gut is telling you something is wrong, do not try to talk yourself out of it or convince yourself he's legitimate. And for god's sake, don't give him money, either. Such a shame that there are so many scam artists on the internet these days :(

-Teresa

I agree with the other posters here Tiina, absolutely do not send him money. There are red flags everywhere and I think your instincts should not be ignored. There are a number of ways you could handle it, but if I were you I would break off contact, as continuing will only give him more opportunities to reel you in and make you question yourself.

BeyondShy said:

Please do not make this about you.

Peaches said:
Personally, I would write that something came up and that I can't make it anymore, at least I'd spare myself the abusing part that is inevitably coming.

Golden advice.

Solivagant said:
BeyondShy said:

I'm not. I'm concerned about her because I do not trust the intentions of that person. It was just an observation. But please continue to tell me what to do. I don't mind at all.

Please be careful, whatever you do. I hope he doesn't know anything about your last name or address or so?

BeyondShy said:
Solivagant said:
BeyondShy said:

I'm not. I'm concerned about her because I do not trust the intentions of that person. It was just an observation. But please continue to tell me what to do. I don't mind at all.

Soli has a point though, what kind of remark is that? o_O

BeyondShy said:
Solivagant said:
BeyondShy said:

That comment was not about Tiina's problem, it was about your problem. Complaining about life being unfair to you has nothing to do with Tiina wanting advice right now.

BeyondShy said:

You know many many of my crushes have gone on to date other people. I felt a sense of loss after this occured. But, things happen, you don't always get the girl or guy that you crush on. Someone else gets the worm.

“Sometimes skulls are thick. Sometimes hearts are vacant. Sometimes words don't work. ”
― James Frey, A Million Little Pieces

Latest posts

Back