Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickey

Reaction score
This morning I weighed 180.8 lbs. About six months ago I was 192 to 195. It's a small thing but still something to feel good about. (My goal weight is 160.)

HoodedMonk said:
Awesome! Keep going, Mickey :D

Thanks. :) I've become accustomed to always having appetite and don't notice it any more. Lots of coffee and water helps me avoid experiencing actual hunger pangs.

Many experts recommend losing weight through exercise, but that way you build muscle and don't actually lose that much weight. Plain losing weight is just a matter of eating less food that contains calories. I'm completely sedentary and don't need many calories, so my food yesterday was a banana, a bowl of stir fry, a granola bar and two teaspoons of jam at two different times.

mickey said:
HoodedMonk said:

Thanks. :) I've become accustomed to always having appetite and don't notice it any more. Lots of coffee and water helps me avoid experiencing actual hunger pangs.

Many experts recommend losing weight through exercise, but that way you build muscle and don't actually lose that much weight. Plain losing weight is just a matter of eating less food that contains calories. I'm completely sedentary and don't need many calories, so my food yesterday was a banana, a bowl of stir fry, a granola bar and two teaspoons of jam at two different times.

Hmm does your body go into starvation mode then and then when you start eating regular portions, it stores more fat and you lose what you gain?

Doesn't a sedentary lifestyle cause health problems?

I'm asking you tough questions I know.

mickey said:
HoodedMonk said:

So how do you get the vitamins and nutrients your body needs?

Starving yourself will give you health problems, that much I can tell you from personal experience. I really encourage you to rethink what you are doing....

I don't believe that I am starving myself. I'm paying attention to nutrients and energy intake. It's just that I am so sedentary that I don't need many calories. Don't forget that our bodies think it's still 200,000 years ago, when people ate once a day and had meat once a week. So thanks for your concern but I'll be fine. :)

As for regaining the weight I'm losing, I don't plan to change my diet much once I've reached my goal weight. By then my guts will have shrunk enough that I shan't need much food to feel full, and if I start eating a little bit more in order to meet my daily intake requirements, it shouldn't cause rebound weight gain.

But, Callie, what health problems did you develop from "starving yourself" (which I don't believe I'm doing). I want to know what symptoms to look out for just in case.

mickey said:
HoodedMonk said:

The banana is good as it contains slow burn calories including potassium, but the granola bar will contain much sugar as would '2 teaspoons of jam at different times'. If I did that, I'd have a hypo. I'm diabetic and this means a healthy food intake. Much as I'd love to raid the raspberry jam or the lemon curd that way, hahaa - nooooooooo! :)

I recommend fresh fruit and vegetables to give you the vitamins your body needs; it's just healthy eating after all. A little chicken tossed in pasta is very nice, and a gentle walk after a meal helps it all go down nicely. I would congratulate you otherwise, but starving yourself to reduce weight is not a sensible or a long-term practical way to lose weight.

You might find this useful

What happened to me I won't discuss. What I will say that your body will start to shut down.

Mouse is right, though. Granola is NOT healthy and unless you have jam that has no added sugar, it's not healthy either. Regardless of what you believe, you ARE starving yourself.

I would recommend to start eating more and start exercising. Yes, you will gain muscle, but you will hardly become a bodybuilder.

Does it make a difference that these are actually Nutri-Grain bars?

I'll think hard about what both of you have said and see how I can eat better.

mickey said:
Does it make a difference that these are actually Nutri-Grain bars?

I'll think hard about what both of you have said and see how I can eat better.

All you need do is read the nutritional information on the packet that would reveal the amount of sugars per 100 grams. In my case, if the sugars are below 7g, then I could eat one. But not gobble up a tablespoon of apricot jam because if that was me it would be asking for trouble. I hope you don't drink Coke. That soda contains as much as 8 teaspoons of sugar per average can. An occasional sip of the stuff poured over chunks of ice and sprig of mint might be a refresher, but drink a whole bottle of Coke and even its caffeine content will have you utterly buzzed out even on its evil sugar rush! 0__0

It's a terrible fact that more and more people are becoming diabetic "Type 2", later in life. In my case I inherited it from Dad. The long term effects of diabetes cannot be underestimated. I apologise if coming across as hard, but one day after your shovelling tablespoons of sugary jam into your cakehole you might thank me, and for the sound advice Callie gave.

Not wishing to sound preachy in any way, bookmark this for future enjoyment. Eight tips for healthy eating and let us know how you got on. :)

It's debatable. Granola, depending on how it's made is going to be less processed and possibly have more vitamins. But, those bars have tons less calories and sugars. If you make your own granola, it can be very healthy, but the store bought stuff really isn't.

All I can say is that I've been there, I know how I felt when I was doing it. I didn't think I was doing anything wrong, that I wasn't hurting myself, but I was. I still have issues even now, 10 years later and while I don't really regret doing it (it's what I needed at the time), I do wish I had done it the right way. Do some research and find out what starving yourself can do to you. It's not pretty and I speak up any time someone even thinks about doing it, because I know what can happen and how many problems it can cause.

After a while of starving yourself, your stomach shrinks which is why you don't feel so hungry. But really you shouldn't be doing it this way unless on a carefully controlled fast which only experienced people do.

What worries me a lot, Mickey, is as you are knocking fifty, so the chances increase of your getting Type 2 Diabetes. Continue consuming sugary jam is one sure way, not forgetting consuming excessive quantities of sugary anything. Dad got Type 2 and in his words, "It's a honeysuckle scene, man." He got leg ulcers, painful buggers and tissue damage to his internal organs, already adding to the cancer that eventually killed him.

I strongly advise you to see a doctor and get a blood test for diabetes on your kidneys, liver and blood glucose levels. Be on the same side. And while you're at it, ask the doctor to refer you to a nutritionalist. That way, you will get to learn what is good to eat and what is not. Even if you become lucky enough not to get Type 2 diabetes, the way you are heading is to a disaster; one day your body will just pack up. :(

Latest posts

Back