the hot new MMOs thread

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickey

Reaction score
I find that WoW is getting stale for me and am thinking of trying a different MMO, but I've looked at the most popular ones and there's always something missing from them--they're pay-to-win, or they're science-fiction-oriented, or they have a terrible player base, or my attempt to register an account just doesn't work. So I'm looking for discussion of brand new emerging MMOs in case someone has something they could recommend. Here are my criteria:

--a sociable rather than antisocial player base
--no overcrowding and fighting other toons for quest drops that respawn too rarely
--fantasy rather than science fiction
--can run on a Dell Precision T1600 with a 1-gig Quadro 600 graphics card and 4 gig RAM
--not pay to win
--no faceroll questing, but if quests require multiple players then a player base willing to group up
--player base not obsessed with reaching level cap as quickly as possible
--good mix of questing and PvP that is skill-dependent rather than gear-dependent

Anyone?

kamya said:
You just described Guild Wars 2. I'd start as Sylvari as it's the best storyline.

I agree with this. You should give a try for the Guild Wars 2, you need to only buy it once, then it's free for you forever. :) Also not so gear-dependent, a good & helpful community, lots of stuff to do, regular updates (also called as ''Living Story'') etc.

I got Guild Wars 2 at launch, at first I found it to be a great and super-addictive game. Over a few months I got bored of it because I didn't know anyone else who played.

I have a Mesmer which is the class I played in the original Guild Wars.

Aztorak said:
I got Guild Wars 2 at launch, at first I found it to be a great and super-addictive game. Over a few months I got bored of it because I didn't know anyone else who played.

I never cared for Mesmer in GW. I like it better in GW2, but I don't often play that one. I mostly use my Ranger.

TheRealCallie said:
Aztorak said:

I never cared for Mesmer in GW. I like it better in GW2, but I don't often play that one. I mostly use my Ranger.

In the original I had so much fun trying out the primary and secondary profession combos, my mesmer's secondary was ranger. I really like the shatter mechanics for mesmer in GW2...Perhaps I'll start it up again :)

Thanks for the recommendations, guys. Guild wars is forty bucks American, which is too much for me right now, but I'm working on saving up money for it. I also have the problem of not having a credit card and would have to use a Vanilla Visa and am not sure the Guild Wars payment processor accepts them. But the fact that you pay once and never have to pay again is a definite bonus. I might see you ingame in a few weeks. :)

mickey said:
Thanks for the recommendations, guys. Guild wars is forty bucks American, which is too much for me right now, but I'm working on saving up money for it. I also have the problem of not having a credit card and would have to use a Vanilla Visa and am not sure the Guild Wars payment processor accepts them. But the fact that you pay once and never have to pay again is a definite bonus. I might see you ingame in a few weeks. :)

There are also many free MMO's that are great to play. If you are a fan of Diablo-style gameplay there is Path of Exile which is on Steam and 100% free :D

mickey said:

You can get GW2 on Amazon for $20.

Guild Wars for the trilogy is $30 on Amazon.

I know this topic is a little old but if you haven't already found an MMO:
GW2 is good, too, but I just started playing 'TERA' (again) and it's actually a really good game, and I generally don't really like MMOs at all.

-It's got really beautiful graphics but still has low requirements. (Your PC should be fine.) There's a lot of sexualization of a few of the races, both genders but mostly females, so I'm not sure how you feel about that.
-It's completely free, and actually not P2W. Paid stuff are mostly just cosmetic items, but there are also XP bonuses and mounts if you want. Leveling seems to be fine without it, though, and you get a free permanent mount pretty early on.
-The fanbase actually seems very friendly and most people just seem to want to play for fun. I asked a question in chat and actually got answers! That never happens in MMOs! :p
-Fantasy setting.
-No idea about PvP, sorry.
-It's a few years old but just got put up on Steam and updated with a new class, with an game-wide XP-buff until next month, so lots of new players right now. It was never 'dead', though. It's always had an active player base.
- Bosses respawn very quickly and Dungeons are instanced so you never have to worry about campers. You can change 'channels' if someone is camping your mob.
-The really amazing thing about TERA is the combat. It is actually very skill-based. It's real-time combat. You have to physically dodge attacks. There are combos. You need to use a variety of skills in various situations, and stuff like that. Each of the classes actually feel rather unique.

I assume this applies to all MMOs but 'grind' is to be expected. Nothing new in that area even with the major difference in combat.

There is also a very wide variety of races for almost every interest.

Honestly it feels like a different version of GW2, except without the pay barrier. The combat is mostly the same, except TERA gives you visual cues making it slightly 'easier', whereas in GW2 you're just screwed if you aren't constantly moving.
Honestly I actually prefer TERA over GW2 now. I haven't gotten too far in TERA, though. I'll see if this changes any as I level up.

Latest posts

Back