Dilemma. Kids

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hearmenow2012

Reaction score
Hello again

I've not been around on here for quite some time due to the fact that I've been so busy with working, dating and working out plus I didn't feel lonely anymore because I had everything going right for me, however not I'm in a bit of a tough situation and that is that my Girlfriend, who I have been dating for 11 months doesn't like kids and it doesn't seem like she wants them. My question is could you stay with a partner if you wanted something that they didn't? In my case it's children.

It's not as though I want them now or anything as I'm still young and I couldn't afford them, however I'd like to have them one day and I don't see that ever changing 'cause it is a part of me.

It would depend on how vital that one thing is to my happiness. Children are a big deal if you want them, but depending on how old you are, it might not be a big deal right now. I know many people that once stated they did not want and would not have kids, and now they have 2 or 3 of them.
I would talk to her and find out exactly where she stands on kids and maybe even adoption. If you don't think you can live with her answer and very much want children, I don't know if you could honestly stay happy without them.

TheRealCallie said:
It would depend on how vital that one thing is to my happiness. Children are a big deal if you want them, but depending on how old you are, it might not be a big deal right now. I know many people that once stated they did not want and would not have kids, and now they have 2 or 3 of them.
I would talk to her and find out exactly where she stands on kids and maybe even adoption. If you don't think you can live with her answer and very much want children, I don't know if you could honestly stay happy without them.
I agree with Callie.

Just don't expect them to change if you don't like their answers, though. Just try to understand those answers before you make your decision.
Many people seem to just be 'afraid' to have kids and it is possible that fear will go away with age, maturity, or support. It's happened with a lot of people.
But someone else may just really hate the thought of having kids, something that will likely never change. That happens, too.
So find out what her real reason is and try to understand where she is coming from so that you might know your real options.

And if you don't like the true answers then there's only one real option. You can never force someone to be something they aren't, whether we're talking about her or even you.

Thanks to all those that have responded. I can understand in some ways why she doesn't want kids but I still can't accept it. I know that there is always the possibility that she may change her mind or agree to comprrimise over time, however I know that I can't change her mind for her and there aren't any guarantees. I just can't see myself going my whole life without having any children. It's a big part of who I am.

Latest posts

Back