Extremely rough time at work....

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niantiel

Reaction score
Long story short, my boss is out of town, the company's accountant.
He's the co-owner, his father is the owner, who's semi-retired.

Erik (my boss) even though he's a much bigger *******, usually gets us out of work by 5 PM or 5:30 PM at the latest.

Ingolf (his father, the owner) is getting us out at 6 PM or 6:30 PM.

This is a problem for me, because I START work on salary at 6:30 AM.

and then I have to come home and do house work, all the while preparing for a wedding I have to be at tomorrow (which, I lied, and told them I had to be at today, so that I can get out at our regular closing time of 4:30, because I have to get across town to pick up my cat's prescription food).

60 hours isnt THAT rough unless you consider that I work in outside conditions nearly in 29 C weather with 30% + humidity.

My boss shitfuck slammed us with a workload so that his father wouldn't have to order any product. Because, he always orders poorly and the customers get upset. The problem is, the workload was so much that 4 people quit....it became a terribly inefficient situation from a managerial perspective. So now we've gotta hire people, which is only really getting done slowly.

Did I mention that my lunch doesn't really exist and I'm allowed to eat but I've still got to work if a delivery truck shows up so I've got to eat and rest in between my work. Which, is fine, it just means that my work is nearly never-ending.

Both my mind, and body are wrecked....and I've still got next week to go through before my boss gets back the following Tuesday....

I don't want to go to the wedding.
I'm only going because the person is a friend of mine and she previously had feelings for me but it was a complicated situation and it never worked out.
I was never really interested in her, but I wouldn't want to insult or hurt her.

I've still got laundry to do, 3 loads worth.

Talking to the owner after work, he asked me why I'm so tired all the time.
I told him that it's because I've got other honeysuckle I've got to do like clean my apartment after work when I get home and pay bills. He didn't seem to really care too much or really even understand (it's my understanding that away from work he keeps his finances straight but his home is a mess).

It's Friday.
End of the work week.
We get free pizza for lunch on Friday's.
Only I'm so over taxed I neither am relieved that it's Friday, nor give too much of a fresia about pizza. -_-

I had an ******* boss like that once, would make us work until insane hours, expected us to eat our lunch in the truck on the way to our next stop and not pay us for it. Sometimes we'd start work at 8am and not finish until 11pm. That's against the labour laws here. He didn't care if anyone had other things they needed to do, in fact if he knew you wanted to get off work at a decent time he'd say you could then screw you around so you'd get off later than you wanted.

Most labour laws state that an employee gets at least a half hour dinner break after working X amount of hours, by law. Where you are allowed to leave the premises or not required to work, it's your time. Depending on what your laws are most also state that you are allowed two 5 to 15 minute paid breaks. Since you are on salary and you work over the time your salary is based on you are allowed those hours back in time off, which your employer has to agree to when you take them off. But there is a required period of time usually in which they have to give them to you. You should really check our your labour rulings to see what rights you have.

That sounds like a terrible situation. It sounds as though you are living just to work. We're supposed to at least have some kind of balance. Even 60 hours a week is too much. I just read an article the other day about how productivity declines when people work over 40 hours per week. You're working longer hours, yet accomplishing less.

Is there any way you can get a different job?

Is getting on welfare an alternative?

I know it can be hard for single men but at some point I may have to. I've basically quit society and have quit working. I don't care anymore, at all.

lonelydoc said:

I know it can be hard for single men but at some point I may have to. I've basically quit society and have quit working. I don't care anymore, at all.

So, let me get this straight. Someday you may have to get on welfare but you will pay for unnecessary cosmetic medical procedures to make yourself look younger.

lonelydoc said:

Ah, so the society, that you basically hate can pay your way. How kind of you....

Sci-Fi said:
You should really check our your labour rulings to see what rights you have.

In the USA these laws are a joke. You might have rights but who is going to enforce them. No one.

My last boss was this way. I stayed ONLY because I knew he had to retire. He did retire and I have a great boss now. But, if I didn't know he had to retire I would have left. Everyone says, don't leave until you have another job but now, I am starting to wonder about that advice. There are all kinds of ways to make money if you just have time and health. And I always found it impossible to get another job while working AND trying to survive a bad boss.

LonelySutton said:
Sci-Fi said:
You should really check our your labour rulings to see what rights you have.

In the USA these laws are a joke. You might have rights but who is going to enforce them. No one.

My last boss was this way. I stayed ONLY because I knew he had to retire. He did retire and I have a great boss now. But, if I didn't know he had to retire I would have left. Everyone says, don't leave until you have another job but now, I am starting to wonder about that advice. There are all kinds of ways to make money if you just have time and health. And I always found it impossible to get another job while working AND trying to survive a bad boss.

They don't help much here either, you have to do most of the work, but knowing your rights gives you a leg to stand on. Most of the time they'll only do something if you are owed money for work, you can work for a real ass but if your boss doesn't owe you anything then they claim there is little they can do. You have to stick up for yourself so it is good to know your laws. Heck I even called the labour board from where I worked to find out my rights when my boss tried to pull crap. Like your employer can't make you sign anything that goes against labour rulings. My old boss tried that once and I wouldn't sign it, I later found the document in my employee file with my signature forged on it. If it is anything that goes against labour rulings they have to get it approved or it is null.

It sounds like there's a serious issue with the way the company is being run. That's worrying. When there's an issue with an employee, it can be taken care of through retraining, discipline or termination, and the company carries on. When there's an issue with the ownership, the company goes out of business.

If I were you, I'd assume that your employer's days are numbered and the business could fold at some point in the future too soon to suit you. That means trying to get another job as quickly as you can manage. Luckily, the best time to look for a job is when you don't need one because you've got one already. I really think you should look for another job before the incompetence of the ownership runs your current employer into the ground and you're looking for work from the disadvantageous position of unemployment.

Best of success to you.

Oh, you have my sympathy, I've had my share of rough days at work. And being a single parent means I have 2 full time jobs :)
A great boss is worth their weight in gold and I'm very fortunate to have one now.
When your boss comes back will you at least be able to get out at a reasonable hour again?

-Teresa

No, I can't get on welfare.
Nor do I really want to be.
I came out of a home with both of my parents, my grandparents, and my little sister and me all in it. Plus a lot of cats, and occasionally my extended family would stay in the living room for months at a time.
So, while I'm used to being confined and restricted, I can say that, physically, it's quite painful, to not have any other food in the house other than green beans and bread, which, don't really mix. Haha....

Despite that, I don't really value my money.
I use it wisely, and sparingly, and live as minimally as my body will allow me to. It works out in my favor actually because I have a long-standing conceptual interest in minimalism.
Money isn't too much of a problem with me, so much as it is that it's basically all I do really have -_-

Really, I need like a cubicle data entry job.
The only reason why I'm still at my current job is that I'm sticking it out for the resume until November. By then, my resume will read that I've worked at this place 3 years, and have been an assistant manager for 2/3 of those years, the minimum standard requirement for managerial applications and transference here. After that, with any luck, I'll go to apply at Costco. They only hire part-time entry level but my resume should probably precede that to full-time. Entry level applicants there make a higher pay grade than I do, I could just do there what I have my workers do and make more money for less work hours. Besides, it'd be nice to have a drone job again. When you're an operations manager of a small local wholesale business/warehouse, you've gotta think your way out about nearly every single thing. It's mentally exhausting. It's physicality has started to take it's weight on me in age over time, but I'm less concerned about that. Really, I'd like to just flip this around, to where my job is a bit less stressful and a bit less taxing on me to where I can do something I actually enjoy doing??? hahaha

Everything's a joke in the U.S. not just the laws. Everyone's out for their own greed here, especially down here in Florida.

Yeah, when he gets back from his vacation eventually I'll get out at a reasonable hour again....if I'm still employed....so much honeysuckle's gotten messed up by the owner that the accountant CAN'T take it out on him, which means, he's gonna start taking it out on everyone else below him instead....

He's a spoiled child, and with some mental illnesses. To be 32 years old, and to get so mad that you still knock holes in walls and break your clipboard against a post while yelling at your staff is not only unprofessional but also, kind of scary for the sake of our employment, and yet, also sad to watch someone go through that still at that age in a professional environment nevertheless...
I honestly hate the man.
I hate the company at this point.

I can't wait until November, and I'll start applying to places where their employees are at least not mentally abused like that after doing physically laborious work all day.

It's kinda dumb.
I could buy a new, used car....to take me to the nowhere in town that interests me, with the friends I don't have, because I never go out to meet anybody, because I'm only paid enough to survive and slowly save. -_-

Most people break under that over time. It's quite a mental game.
I have my ups and downs with it, but on the whole, I'm always unsure and paranoid.

Me becoming a manager there was a total fluke.
At that time in my life, I'd applied there because I wanted out of the restaurant I was working in the kitchen for. I wasn't making enough to cover my bills. Between that and finding my current job I'd gone through a pretty rough breakup, that was really more like a divorce almost, if you consider how long we were together at 24 years old and being together for 8 1/2 years....so I applied at a physical job on a reference basically to try to work myself into the ground and make it look like an accident.

Management fell into my lap by the guy who was doing the management at the time but without the title. He'd gotten lazy and strung out by money. Not really fault of his own, companies like this do this to people...that's how the company profits...it burns people out over time stringing them along inch by inch...

I've been working there for 3 years, and I've seen 40 different employees quit, get fired, or change positions.

In my experience, the only way to fix over-exerted and under-appreciated at work, is to look for other work....I'm sorry. I wish I had more helpful responses. Others may

lonelydoc said:

I know it can be hard for single men but at some point I may have to.  I've basically quit society and have quit working.  I don't care anymore, at all.

Ah the welfare state.

I hate my job too, buddy, so I can completely relate.
As deaddemosthenes said, probably the only solution is looking for a new job. As for me, at average I change full-time jobs every 10-12 months; sometimes I have breaks with only part-time jobs. Can't say it helps much, but at least I didn't yet kill anybody because of hatred that growth from being in unhealthy job environment.

Latest posts

Back