I don't feel lonely anymore - Meet Shelley

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

HoodedMonk

qm3Q0qR.jpg

ZdAwnj0.jpg

So, about two years ago my childhood dog died. I was heartbroken.

After waiting two years..I couldn't wait anymore and went and got another dog after my mom told me to "research getting a dog" meaning she was putting me off again. I felt incomplete without a dog in my life.

So, enter Shelly. :) Very very intelligent. 10 weeks old She knew how to come on the first day I got her. Taught her how to sit on the second. Today I was teaching her how to fetch. She's starting to eliminate outside, but she's still having accidents inside. We're still struggling with the concept of having a leash around our neck.

I can tell mom is pretty angry about me getting the dog. She acts as if I am putting a huge responsibility on her when it's me taking care of the dog 24/7. First it was that the dog wasn't small enough, then she didn't like the dog because it barks due to separation anxiety when I put her in the mud room (She's a puppy…), she got really pissy with me today when I asked her to ask the guy who she has do everything else around the house for free to take care of Shelley for the 8 hours she would be gone tomorrow and then downright refused to ask him for me claiming that I needed to take care of my own dog. (basically punishing me for getting the dog)

Then tonight Shelley had an accident in the good living room that i immediately cleaned. And mom remarked that the house smells of urine from the dog, while giving me a hard look.

It's making me feel a little hopeless and sad. Shelley brings me so much joy and happiness, but I'm being made to feel otherwise.

That's a lovely dog. And from what you say she's smart, too.

Your mother is just a reminder that blood relatives, especially parents, are a curse visited upon our species by God as punishment for Original Sin. Nearly every problem that nearly every person has is caused by them even having had parents or other blood relatives in the first place, whether or not they are in touch with those people any more.

Congratulations! Awwww, what a sweetie!

It must have taken some courage to do this, if you already knew what your Mom's attitude would be.

Hi Shelley!:) She's so cute,HoodedMonk!

Sorry to hear your mom's giving you a hard time because of her!:(

She's adorable! A shame to hear your mum isn't that positive about her, I would make sure she knows that you will take responsibility for Shelley. Hopefully she'll grow to love her in time; I mean look at that face :)

Shelley is adorable, HM. Sigh, it's too bad your mom can't be accepting of her. I think that's the sort of treatment I'd get if I were to get a cat for myself. Perhaps time will ease your mom into accepting Shelley little by little. Maybe try to keep saying positive things about Shelley to your mom, just keep doing that until your mom realises it or something. I don't know, that's what I'd do. Or tell your mom the truth, how she makes you feel about having this dog, and how having Shelley makes you feel happier, if she could just understand that.

Shelley!!! great name :)

When you keep in good spirits and that adorable little dog will learn to do her business outside, she will be just happy to be near her...
I say "good spirits" because dogs pick up on feelings pretty quickly so when you feel resentment or sadness the dog will notice that and she might want to protect you, and that won't help the relationship with your mom -

watch this movie to feel inspired http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hachi:_A_Dog's_Tale
(I found it horribly boring, but the first half-hour makes the point)

nevertheless , I am very happy for you

Don't have time to respond to everyone's kind responses at the moment but I wanted to share another picture of Shelley. This was before I turned on Netflix and she started growling at it because it startled her ( she had never seen Netflix before.) Later that night when I was in my room alone and I started up Netflix to the same episode, I jumped because it startled me.

7dRHB2s.jpg

Monk, that's a cute little dog. I think we had one like that when I was little.
These little guys (or girls) can be there for us when no one else is, and I definitely know that's very important. I just recently lost one of my own, probably my only true "friend" I've ever had in life, besides my wife, and about to lose another. So their importance hits home for me, and I hope your mom will learn to understand that in time.

mickey said:
Your mother is just a reminder that blood relatives, especially parents, are a curse visited upon our species by God as punishment for Original Sin. Nearly every problem that nearly every person has is caused by them even having had parents or other blood relatives in the first place, whether or not they are in touch with those people any more.
That's nothing but a false generalization, and with added religious overtones. Some people's problems are caused by their parents, but not everyone's. Sometimes the parents are the only ones to protect their children from problems out in the world.
My parents were always pretty supportive and caring. They have been the only people who ever supported me in my life besides my wife. I have some problems due to how I was raised but most of my problems are caused by society and if it weren't for them I would be even more screwed up, if not dead.

Monk's mother may not accept the dog (right now) but at least she is supporting enough that he's allowed to keep the dog, even if she is a bit angry about it right now. You have to remember that she is a person, too. I don't know him personally, but I'm sure Monk still loves his Mom.

HoodedMonk said:
Then tonight Shelley had an accident in the good living room that i immediately cleaned. And mom remarked that the house smells of urine from the dog, while giving me a hard look.

It's making me feel a little hopeless and sad. Shelley brings me so much joy and happiness, but I'm being made to feel otherwise.

I don't know why people complain about pets and messes. That's what happens. It's natural. It's normal. If it's cleaned properly, it wouldn't matter. I clean up after dogs and pups all the time, and I clean up properly, so there's never any smell or residue from anything. I know it's possible to leave barely any traces.

Cute dog, too. Animals enjoy company too.

I changed her name to Gwen. Caught her doing this this morning, thought she was adorable. Enjoy!

[youtube]sJjdY2g5YV8[/youtube]

It's okay Gwen, Netflix is a friend!
She is adorable!! Give your mom time, personally I would have a really hard time not loving that cutie
It looked like she kept an eye on you the entire time she was chewing :)

She's an adorably precious little one. Just out of curiosity, why the name change?

Latest posts

Back