Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could another person be happy with your life?
^ ^ ^

Personally I would have thought that No. 5 Self-Actualization - Striving for more in life would mean that you are automatically negating any sense of satisfaction or happiness with what you already have in life so will never be content?
Just my thoughts.
If you see someone without a smile today give them one of yours

I am not this hair, I am not this skin. I am the soul that lives within

Helping one person may not change the world, but it may change the world for one person

(07-21-2017, 02:49 AM)Jently Wrote: ^ ^ ^

Personally I would have thought that No. 5 Self-Actualization - Striving for more in life would mean that you are automatically negating any sense of satisfaction or happiness with what you already have in life so will never be content?
Just my thoughts.

Mmm to my understanding, you don't negate those sense at "Self-Actualization". In fact, you'd be embracing them because to be at this stage would mean you'd have gotten every needs of your own satisfied. Now, because you are fully content, you want to do more and thus, start to help others in their lives as well.

A prime example would be philanthropists. Why do they contribute to society when they could've just kept all the resources to themselves? They've gotten their needs satisfied and wish to help others satisfy their basic needs as well in one of the ways that they know they can afford to do in a massive scale.

Yes, some probably did it for publicity but there are ppl who do perform such acts out of pure kindness and love, which I think is just beautiful :-)
Just happily floating by with my sweet bread smell :3
Mmm, ok you're looking at it from a different angle. Because the words 'self' and 'striving for more' were used I assumed it meant you were looking for more for yourself as opposed to reaching out to others.
I agree with your final paragraph, shame there's not more of it about, or maybe we just don't hear about it.

Helping one person may not change the world, but it may change the world for one person

Slumdwellers, hungry people, people with serious illnesses, disabled people, people in warzones, also people with way overstressed life would be very happy with my life.

So even if I am not very happy about my life, I can't lose perspective that it could be much worse.

To bring a comparison from another field. A middle-class person may envy the rich people and dreams day and night, how it would be like to live like them. But that person could easily forget that there are people in poverty, who only dream of how it would feel like being in middle-class...

I like to think that this is a key in "finding happiness". Yeah, everything is not perfect (whose life is anyway?), but there are people out there that do worse. And you can thank your lucky stars your fate has not been that bad.
(07-28-2017, 04:49 AM)SilentLife Wrote: Slumdwellers, hungry people, people with serious illnesses, disabled people, people in warzones, also people with way overstressed life would be very happy with my life.

So even if I am not very happy about my life, I can't lose perspective that it could be much worse.

To bring a comparison from another field. A middle-class person may envy the rich people and dreams day and night, how it would be like to live like them. But that person could easily forget that there are people in poverty, who only dream of how it would feel like being in middle-class...

I like to think that this is a key in "finding happiness". Yeah, everything is not perfect (whose life is anyway?), but there are people out there that do worse. And you can thank your lucky stars your fate has not been that bad.

Wise words SilentLife, wise words and something that I need to remember more often than I do

(07-22-2017, 04:24 AM)Jently Wrote: Mmm, ok you're looking at it from a different angle.  Because the words 'self' and 'striving for more' were used I assumed it meant you were looking for more for yourself as opposed to reaching out to others.
I agree with your final paragraph, shame there's not more of it about, or maybe we just don't hear about it.

Haha indeed. In that theory, Striving for more equates to striving for more achievements after acquiring every necessities in your hierarchy of needs. This usually leads to giving back to the community.

As we know, happy people tend to be nicer and more generous. They are more likely to be able to afford giving things away, be it emotional support or monetary support since they will have a surplus in such resources as compared to those who are still trying to fulfill specific needs.

Always nice to meet people who meet nice people, no? :-)

(07-28-2017, 04:49 AM)SilentLife Wrote: Slumdwellers, hungry people, people with serious illnesses, disabled people, people in warzones, also people with way overstressed life would be very happy with my life.

Indeed, there was a study done, linking happiness levels to the idea of "Expectations".

Regardless of classes, expectations affects everyone and how they feel about their current state of life.

There's a reason why some people who seemingly have "nothing", is happier than someone who seemingly have "everything". 

Why do some kids/ their parents get upset when they get B in their quiz while some are content with C or even  D? Expectations!

Expect lesser and you'll be easily satisfied and hence, happy lol!
Just happily floating by with my sweet bread smell :3
Some of the guilt I have is that I know I'm better off than 97% of the people on this planet and I'm still sad. There's a lot of people that would probably be happy with my life. I think that my expectations are too high.
I guess most people would be happy with my life. As long as you take away the depression, then my life is pretty rad.
Could another person be happy with your life?

If you are happy with your life, it is more likely you are progressing forward. That is, one is working towards their own concepts of being happy with their life.

If you are happy with your life progression, you won't worry if others will be happy with it or not, because you are already happy. It becomes the others person's problem and not your own.

People tend to be happy for other peoples happiness of their life, rather than being happy with their life.
Definitely not, they would be as miserable as I am.
[Image: pp15Ma0.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I am afraid of being responsible for my life worthless_loser 9 1,590 12-03-2018, 02:25 AM
Last Post: Serenity1
  once a shy person trying to help Centurion276 3 996 11-04-2018, 02:47 AM
Last Post: Guzheng
  Life as a bald guy ardour 96 43,386 05-11-2017, 03:51 AM
Last Post: pinocio
Sad Shyness destroying/taking control over my life, help? blendor 13 8,348 10-03-2016, 10:07 AM
Last Post: ihabl
  My Life is ruined. Is it worth trying to find the pieces michael2 12 5,211 09-23-2016, 05:17 AM
Last Post: Forsaken-Knight
  I want to be a normal person. How do I become normal.? M_also_lonely 16 4,127 03-24-2015, 09:16 PM
Last Post: M_also_lonely
  How does a person stop feeling like they are worthless? SophiaGrace 20 5,219 01-10-2015, 11:07 AM
Last Post: Lola91
  major life choice Major Derp 5 2,724 09-29-2014, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Peaches
Exclamation Life in American High Schools slendy 5 3,228 09-15-2014, 11:46 AM
Last Post: Badjedidude
  This is destroying my life Kale 12 5,291 01-07-2014, 02:20 PM
Last Post: LifeCoachWithL