Could another person be happy with your life?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. Almost anyone who lives my life would go nuts. Maybe a starving, oppressed person from a corrupt country would enjoy my life but that's it.

Xpendable said:
Maybe a starving kid from africa.

I agree. Bought a drone recently, an African kid would be so happy do drive it

Come on you guys, stop being so pessimistic. It's catching for others who read this falsehood.
Start listing the good things about you.
Prove to yourself and others that another person can be happy with you.

Tranquil said:
Come on you guys, stop being so pessimistic. It's catching for others who read this falsehood.
Start listing the good things about you.
Prove to yourself and others that another person can be happy with you.

I agree.  It's not so much about how many problems or whatever you have.  It's about how you deal with it.  If you have a negative attitude and are depressed, obviously you are going to think your life sucks and no one would want it.

Yes. How about the countless of disabled people out there? The homeless? The war torn? People with no reliable transportation? Tons.

Some people would literally kill to have our lives, no matter how hard we perceive them to be. Best never lose sight of that and Azariah lists some very valid examples.

Just want to say that Ive always been at both ends of the peole have it worse argument. Personally its not a very good one in my opinion. Everyone has different experiences in life and everyone is not the same. No ones problems makes the other irrlevant. I could have sworn this was a forum for lonely/depressed/etc. people so I could have expected a little more empathy from you guys.

Yes Im quite happy with some of the things I have like functioning legs or a phone to use or clean water and Im not even depressed as well. But I still experience loneliness at the end of the day, and it accumulates throughout my life. A starving child would certainly enoy my life up jntil a point where they face loneliness and anxiety and isolation. 

Anyways I am entirely empathic to people who have worse. My family are immigrants from a poverish country by the way so I am not ignorant in their suffering.

^ thank you!
Those little starving kids might be glad that they still have their families and glad they weren't bought as slaves or prostitutes in other countries. The slave kids might be glad they're not being blown up in a war. There's always something much worse and there are always things to be glad about too... the thing that happens the most in this forum is people shaming others for having feelings, stop that honeysuckle.

To me it was obvious that the autor of this thread meant normal people, not disabled war veterans or starving beggars on the street. Sometimes it seems tthat you are only looking for an argument. 

"The thing that happens the most in this forum is people shaming others for having feelings, stop that honeysuckle."

What does this means? Saying that an african kid would be happy in my shoes doesn't shame anyone. 

[size=small]I agree.  It's not so much about how many problems or whatever you have.  It's about how you deal with it.  If you have a negative attitude and are depressed, obviously you are going to think your life sucks and no one would want it.[/size]

[size=small]True indeed. I value my health, and i would take my erectile disfunction over cancer every day. But for me the point of the thread is thinking about normal people. Is obvious that someone in a wheelchair would be much happier to walk then sitting for all his life, that doesn't make a good point. 

[/size]

When people are in a bad head space and think their lives are miserable, saying that there's people in worse conditions and they should just be glad about what they have is shaming someone for their feelings. My post was not directed at you.

DarkSelene said:
^ thank you!
Those little starving kids might be glad that they still have their families and glad they weren't bought as slaves or prostitutes in other countries. The slave kids might be glad they're not being blown up in a war. There's always something much worse and there are always things to be glad about too... the thing that happens the most in this forum is people shaming others for having feelings, stop that honeysuckle.

I hadnt seen that bit. Shame? LIke who?
I've read some pet ople with strong opinions on here, but not really outright shaming.

I remember seeing this kid when I was working in the box office at the theaters. I wasn't sure what was wrong with him. He was some kind of paraplegic but was still able to move. I remember thinking "****! Thas messed up." but somehow the kid seemed to be enjoying moving around and his parents didn't look like they pitied him. I thought about it some more and wondered "What must keep that boy going? Isn't he aware of his appearance and how sorry others might see him?" but it kind of gave me hope that if he can live through that then I can go on with my life too. So you see, you can always gather something bright from whatever you see. The human soul is resilient and doesn't easily give up.

Hard to say. I don't know if the mental strain could be easily handled by most, but I feel a lot of others would be able to handle the physical side far better than me and maybe even then improve the former too.

I don't think my life is really bad; and I believe almost any situation can be improved with enough fortitude and optimism in approaching it.

I've actually had several of my friends tell me that they wouldn't be able to handle the honeysuckle that I have to handle in my life. And they've told me that unsolicited or unwarranted on my behalf. They just know me, they see what I have to deal with...At the same time though, I keep them at a distance, most of them anyhow, because I am very well aware of human proclivity mixed with a bunch of negativity from a person's clouded mind. You're supposed to keep your friends close and your enemies closer but...my approach is more like I'm surrounded by outward pointing knives so that no one can get close to me, and I keep one in the circle with me, in case I need to point one at myself some day.

howtobealone said:
I wonder how much of happiness is genetic predisposition and how much of it is circumstances. Not to sound too negative, but I couldn't imagine having the lives of at least 75% of the people in the world (presuming I still had my negative mindset), and yet many of these people claim to be happy. I think on paper a lot of people would love to have my life, but I'd probably trade places with an average person if he claimed to be happy. I could picture a lot of people being happy if they had my looks, intelligence, life circumstances, even my physical maladies. But I've always been miserable with the life I was given. I hope one day I can enjoy this life of mine, after all, what's to say I can't adopt the mindset of happier people whose lives aren't as appealing as mine on paper?
Ive been ashamed of my voice and its lack of strength for a guy. 
But many would be glad to have my circumstances. ive been extremely lucky in life. Avoided financial ruin, great wife, nice country and city live in near the beach.
I sometimes envy others' high level of self confidence. 
So yes I think many other people could be happy being me. They would make more use of the positive circumstances I ve enjoyed.

Latest posts

Back