Anniversary of Alan Turing death

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Serenia

Reaction score
Today it has been 61 years since Alan Turing took his own life.

Society has come a long way since this phenomenon of a man was treated the way he was. BUT, not far enough, there is still so much ignorance and prejudice that needs to be stamped out. Will it ever happen, I don't know, but let's hope so.

I'm ashamed to say that I had never heard of Alan Turing but having googled his name was shocked to read his story.
What a tragedy, and unfortunately yes you are right there is still so much prejudice.
My own mother and father often argued over the dinner table over her brother who is gay. Dad thought he was beneath contempt and Mum refused to accept that her brother could possibly be 'one of those'.
I think people are slowly (yes, too slowly) becoming more accepting though and the recent law changes allowing gay marriage are to be applauded.
Hopefully very soon no-one will bat an eyelid. Oh dear, as I wrote that I remembered the Russian attitude to this so there is still a long way to go.

I guess I am quite lucky in that no one in my family seems to give a crap about sexuality. I have a cousin who is very openly gay and he is as welcome with all of us as he ever was.

Alan Turing has always been a bit of a sore point with me. It's bad enough that he was treated the way that he was, but the fact that he gave so much to the war effort prior to this leaves a particularly bad taste in my mouth. At least he was finally pardoned in 2013 - albeit posthumously.

^ I am ashamed to say I know people who believe his treatment was justified. They get a rant from me if they dare say anything, although they have learn't not to, it's a good job I see very little of them.

Yes his work during the war was more than outstanding, what did they say that the work done at Bletchly including his shortened the war? Most of his work goes over my head sadly, but at least I have the capacity to keep his story going.

h3donist said:
I'm going to visit Bletchley Park soon - can't wait :)

Thats cool :). It's on my list for places to visit too. My Father went last year and loved it. He is obsessed with all that code breaking, especially from that era.

So many great minds are never appreciated in their own time
A shame such an enlightened mind felt so alone :/

hugswithtrees said:
So many great minds are never appreciated in their own time
A shame such an enlightened mind felt so alone :/

It's not so much that he wasn't appreciated - more that he was persecuted for being a homosexual, and sadly, he was far from being alone in that regard.

I try to teach as many people about Turing as I can.. the amount of people who had no idea who he was previous to that is disheartening.

May everyone who is curious learn about him and may we all remember him so that atrocities the likes of which were committed against him never happen again...

Latest posts

Back