something that could get me banned

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickey

Reaction score
Here's a post I made on another forum that could potentially get me banned from that other forum:

"Asexuality hasn't entirely recovered from its origins as a concept and remains an intensely poitical topic of discussion. Wherever politics are involved, there is going to, unavoidably, be concealment of motives, failure to disclose self-interest and even operation by proxy (where someone sends someone else with a cleaner public profile to be their mouthpiece). That's just what happens when a topic is political, and, although things have steadily been getting better over the past five years, asexuality is still a political topic.

"But I've caught myself sometimes being too vigilant about hypocrisy in discussions of asexuality. It's all too easy to suspect someone of hypocrisy just because they disagree with you, and recognizing when that emotional reaction is in play rather than actual evidence of hypocrisy can take better skill at reading between the lines than I possess. Lately I've discovered a second, much more common category of person who is not hypocritical at all: the well-meaning bot. This is typically someone who has been inspired and uplifted by someone else's words and treats those words catechistically, often being more devoted to them than the person who spoke them in the first place. This person means well and is often totally sincere but themselves emotionally invested in a particular view of the world they read and/or heard because of its uplifting and inspiring effect on them. Such people can be more difficult to deal with than the conscious and deliberate hypocrites because of the force of their attachment to what they say and their honest devotion to its putative truth, but they merit not hostility but pity and education. So I'd encourage everyone of good faith, a clear mind and a lucid perspective to go easy on the well-meaning bots and try to deprogram them instead of letting them get us into firefights. (The deliberate hypocrites, we should continue trying to expose, because it's their very concealment of what they're really up to that gives them strength.)"

There is no deprogramming people. Believe me, I've tried, with no results.

HoodedMonk said:

Can anything be done, then? I get tired of such people shrieking when I question their beliefs and thought maybe being patient and conciliatory would help.

I'm interested in what the context of that post was, if you don't mind sharing. :)

I see the problem, but I also don't see any way to deprogram people. It seems to me that anyone who is not IN the position needs to take a listening stance, not a telling stance. Real listening is a skill which is greatly lacking among the population. Well, yes, one can have an informed opinion, held with an open mind. But if I have it correctly, the well-meaning bot needs to be in the position of the one who knows, purely an emotional need of their own, and unrelated to helping anyone.

mickey said:
HoodedMonk said:

Can anything be done, then? I get tired of such people shrieking when I question their beliefs and thought maybe being patient and conciliatory would help.

Why question people's beliefs? If you're genuinely interested, say that. But if you're questioning because you think you can (or that you're supposed to) change anyone, then no, that probably doesn't go well with many people.

Latest posts

Back