What's up, everybody?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ikarmue

Reaction score
Hello, everyone! My name is Ikarmue. I live in Northern Illinois in the United States, and I entered my second decade of life last year. I like to play video games.

I came onto these forums since I have very little interaction with people face-to-face. Let's just say that I am not the best at talking to people like that due to me being somewhat awkward when talking to people, especially about relatively sensitive subjects.

While I still am at home with my parents and one of my older brothers, I barely ever get to do anything with them thanks to them either not being familiar with video games or they have very little time to play video games. I also have a friend from high school that I hang out with, but he and I are not exactly on good terms. (I will probably talk about this on a different section of the forum...)

In any case, I am currently in college with no job. I am simply trying to focus on college at the moment so I can graduate with a degree and, hopefully, find a decent job soon afterwards. I would talk to people at the college I go to, but the thing that scares me away from doing so is my standards for friends, to be exact. Generally, I prefer to hang out with people that don't smoke or drink. Since a lot of people, it seems, still enjoy drinking, I sometimes feel like one of the few people in the school that do not enjoy drinking. The reason I do not want to hangout with these kinds of people is simply because of my desire to not be associated with whatever someone who is drunk is doing. After all, as the Greek poet Menander said, "Bad company corrupts good character." Thanks to this, I had very few friends in high school, as, according to the friend I mentioned earlier, he said that many people in the school drink or smoke. I could figure that out by myself, but it still scared me away from trying to associate with people, in addition to the social awkwardness that I mentioned before getting in the way of me being able to interact with others.

There is a video game club at my college, but I have a feeling that the gamers there use laptops that are most likely more powerful than anything the laptop that I am using. Whereas they probably spent at least upwards of 1K for their gaming laptop, my laptop was $500 two years ago when my parents thankfully bought it for me. Not to mention that I have a bad feeling that, if these guys do not smoke, they probably still drink. I could try talking to them, but then I tell myself, "I'm going to college so I can hopefully get a nice job some time in the future and be capable of taking care of myself. Don't make it more complicated than that." Thing is, I actually am thinking of getting into PC gaming...on a desktop, that is. As building a PC is more possible with desktops, the price is dramatically lower as long as I don't go about trying to build something with a Titan X and an i7-5960X. Not to mention, barring hardware/software problems, games are automatically backwards compatible, unlike the current gen systems. (no, remasters and renting games digitally do not count as "backwards compatibility" for me!)

In any case, even though I feel lonely, I am wanting to find people to hang out with who I can say with a straight face that they are my friends. I know there are online games like MMOs and MOBAs that have strong, vibrant communities supporting the games, but MMOs, to me, do not have the same satisfaction as playing a singleplayer or even a regular multiplayer game. In MMOs, you just go and do repetitive tasks to make your character's equipment stronger, their weapons stronger, faster, longer, etc.. As for MOBAs, I decided against them when I watched Game Theory's Deadlock episode on DOTA vs. LoL. I have heard of both games, but the thing that puts me off from them is the fact that they only have a few maps or something like that. I would like to get involved in these games, but the idea of only three maps in League of Legends puts me off from it immediately. In a game on the PC, because games can be modded more easily on it, I expect there to be a lot more than just three levels. I understand quality over quantity, but it's like playing online in Call of Duty: if everyone's favorite map is available to be voted upon, and you are tired of playing the same map again, you'll just throw in the towel and go on to do something else.

What I am wondering is, by stating what I have in the previous paragraphs, is whether you think I should go on to try to join these communities or just do whatever I think is best. While I do want to join these communities and make more friends, I still want to play the games that I want to play and do what I want with my free time. If I cannot come to a reasonable compromise with people who want to play games online with me, I'd rather play games singleplayer, or play games online without trying to make friends.

Anyways, I apologize for the wall of text introduction, (I don't think I'm that good at intros, myself) and I'd like to know your thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

Hi there Ikarmue. Welcome to the site. :)

I say do what you feel like doing. I can see you have concerns about joining these communities but really there's no harm in trying and I imagine you'll still have time for other things. If it doesn't work out you can just leave anyway. I'd also say give that games club at college a shot. You won't know what it's like unless you go, maybe see if there are any other clubs at college that catch your eye as well as you don't want to be part of the college drinking scene.

Hope you enjoy your time on the site :)

Hey Ikarmue, welcome to the forum. I have to echo what Katerina said. You do what you feel like doing, this is the time of your life where you should explore what you can (harmless things of course). Joining them might just open your eyes to new things and interests or even open up new doors and opportunities. If you're unsure, I say, go for it for the experience. You can't get experience any way else. Good luck.

Welcome Ikarmue- wow you really like gaming huh? I don't suppose you know how to clear all the junk off of an iPhone to speed it up? ;)
I hope you find something here to help with your feelings of loneliness. It's good that you wrote a lot, people hold back too much these days when it comes to how they feel personally (well, SOME people don't... hehe)

Welcome Ikarmue- wow you really like gaming huh? I don't suppose you know how to clear all the junk off of an iPhone to speed it up?

As weird as it may seem, I have never used an iPhone before. I have only used devices with the Android OS. That being said, if I was given some time to figure it out, I would probably have no problem clear the cache and other stuff that can slow any hardware/software down on any device!

Welcome I love your name!

I created the name when I had to come up with a user account for uPlay to play Assassin's Creed II on the PC. All of my other attempts at names were failing, so I had to come up with something no one else would have made. I figured that no one would know about the games Ikaruga and Shenmue from the Dreamcast days. Since they were both very Japanese-sounding titles, I thought, "why not combine them together? I doubt anyone's combined them together!"

I say do what you feel like doing. I can see you have concerns about joining these communities but really there's no harm in trying and I imagine you'll still have time for other things. If it doesn't work out you can just leave anyway. I'd also say give that games club at college a shot. You won't know what it's like unless you go, maybe see if there are any other clubs at college that catch your eye as well as you don't want to be part of the college drinking scene.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum.

Personally, I think you should do whatever it is YOU want to do. I can't see doing something you know you don't like. But honestly, how can you know you won't like it until you try it?

Ikarmue said:
As weird as it may seem, I have never used an iPhone before.

Not weird at all. Neither have I. Don't want anything to do with iWhatever.

Latest posts

Back