Mans' indifference and inaction... and my love of our feathered friends.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Cavey

Today, I went to do a bit of shopping. I bought myself a few items of clothing, then met up with my mother for a meal in a restaurant. A nice day.

As we arrived back at the car, I noticed a man taking pictures on his mobile phone - I just got in the car and thought nothing much of it. It was as we were driving away that I noticed he was taking pictures of a tiny fluffy seagull chick that had fallen from it's nest and was now limping around the car park. I saw other people watching and no one was doing anything, other than taking the obligatory cell phone photo...

I was sitting watching this when a car drove straight over the top of the chick and just barely missed it with it's tyres. Still, no one did anything. I decided that if no one was going to help this bird, then I was. I walked over and stopped people from driving near it - even if it meant blocking people from getting to a parking space. I tried to stand a small distance from it in the hope it's mother was nearby and would return for it, but she was nowhere to be seen. The poor thing kept chirping away and seemed to be scared and if I left it there it was eventually going to get killed. I contacted a wildlife sanctuary and they said it would be much better to pick it up and take it to them.

I went and got a blanket that we carry in the boot of the car and I gently wrapped the little guy up. It was then that I was waylaid by a large tattooed fella who 'politely' told me to leave it on the ground because it's mother would come for it. I asked him how he knew this and his reply was "Well, it stands to reason". I said that I had contacted a wildlife centre and they had advised me to do this, but he just blathered on that I was being cruel and blah, blah, blah. I ignored him and eventually he took the hint and buggered off.

Anyway, I held the wee fella all the way to the wildlife sanctuary and he seemed to warm up to me. He seemed happy enough by the time I got him there and the man at the sanctuary implied that he would bring him back to health and rear him to adulthood and then free him in the vicinity of where he was found. I'm happy with that outcome.

The thing that pisses me off is that everyone is happy to stand around doing nothing and just leaving this poor thing to it's fate. They'll complain that it will cost them time and money. They'll complain it will probably honeysuckle on them (They would be correct). They will then try and rationalise their decision:

"Well, I probably couldn't have done anything anyway"
"It will probably be OK"
"Someone else will help it"

Well, I'm not going to stand around and do nothing when I see something (or someone) that needs my help.

So, on the downside, I've been pooped on, had to spend money on a gallon of petrol and missed something I was looking forward to at 5pm. On the upside, I feel kind of warm inside and know that I made some real difference in the world - even if it was just for a single solitary seagull.

Why am I posting this? I don't rightly know, but I felt like it, so I did :p

Glad, you posted it Cavey :) It's because of people like you we still have humanity on the Earth, I'm telling ya it's the truth.

Well done Cavey, may the blessings of life continue to shower upon you. Your good turn and unselfish act a shining example of your true soul within.. Blessed by the light are you..^.^

:) Cavey (Honeybunch), I'm gonna ask my great friend Gabriel20 to have a word on your behalf,and ask the Big Honcho himself, upstairs,for an honoury halo :)

people are disgusting... well done Cavey, keep high that torch for humanity in the darkness of our age

Awww! You have such a good heart. Thank you for saving that little birdie. :)

Good on you! I moved a turtle out of the road a couple days ago when it was almost run over. I was sad but not surprised that no one even stopped for it.

I don't understand people. :(

Solivagant said:
Good on you! I moved a turtle out of the road a couple days ago when it was almost run over. I was sad but not surprised that no one even stopped for it.

I don't understand people. :(

Well, They don't have time for everyone, for human or for any other life. I have seen quite a few almost everywhere. Doesn't matter which part fo the world we reside it happens pretty much everywhere. But thanks to people like you, Cavey and few others who still care for lives of human and other being as well, It's really good to know people strive for greater good not only here but other parts of world too.

That's awesome Cavey. I'm glad you stood up for the bird and did something. I mean, that poor seagull was a helpless little one, all it takes is just one person to make a move and it will live. Good on you, thank you for being kind. :)

Solivagant, that's so sweet you did that. I love turtles and used to have a pet tortoise. So that was awesome that you helped the turtle. Thank you. :)

PenDragon said:
Well, They don't have time for everyone, for human or for any other life.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but we were on a residential road and there was plenty of time for anyone to stop and wait for the turtle if they had cared enough to do so. It only requires a small amount of patience and compassion; especially compared to the amount of patience and compassion I have to muster for human beings, lol.

ladyforsaken said:
I love turtles and used to have a pet tortoise.

I like turtles too (but then I like almost all creatures). =] My summer blanket has turtles on it.

Solivagant said:
ladyforsaken said:
I love turtles and used to have a pet tortoise.

I like turtles too (but then I like almost all creatures). =] My summer blanket has turtles on it.

Me too! And that's nice, hehe. Turtles are awesome. That's why there's the whole TMNT series before. :D

Awwww that's such a sweet story. Well done you for making that difference. Good on you for as well for standing your ground too against that guy.

Solivagant said:
PenDragon said:
Well, They don't have time for everyone, for human or for any other life.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but we were on a residential road and there was plenty of time for anyone to stop and wait for the turtle if they had cared enough to do so. It only requires a small amount of patience and compassion; especially compared to the amount of patience and compassion I have to muster for human beings, lol.

I meant they don't have time for anyone. Well, that's the excuse I hear all the time. When they don't have what it takes, it doesn't matter whether it requires small amount or big amount they won't do it. That is what I have seen, If one respect his/her life they would respect everyone's life doesn't matter whether if it is small or big.

Well done! I wish everyone was like you. I have an urge to rescue babies and non-babies of most species if they seem in trouble. I've had multiple cat rescue situations and several birds too. And a spider or two.
I do the same with human babies as well. :p I tend to run after kids who seem even slightly lost even though their mums always end up being somewhere in the vicinity. I feel foolish afterwards, but feeling foolish is a small price to pay in case that ever actually happens to be the case.

Wow. I can't believe this thread has garnered so much interest. I expected a couple of replies at most!

I think that the real reason I posted this message is because a part of me was worried. What if the large tattooed 'gentleman' was correct? What if I've made the wrong decision? I'm happy to say that your replies have reaffirmed my belief that I chose the correct course of action... and doing something is always better than doing nothing at all.

It's great to see that so many people here would have done the same thing - I knew you were all wonderful people :D

Cavey said:
Wow. I can't believe this thread has garnered so much interest. I expected a couple of replies at most!

I think that the real reason I posted this message is because a part of me was worried. What if the large tattooed 'gentleman' was correct? What if I've made the wrong decision? I'm happy to say that your replies have reaffirmed my belief that I chose the correct course of action... and doing something is always better than doing nothing at all.

It's great to see that so many people here would have done the same thing - I knew you were all wonderful people :D

Have you thought of following its progress and then possibly asking to be there when its released.

She-ra said:
Cavey said:

Have you thought of following its progress and then possibly asking to be there when its released.

It's at a wildlife centre that is housing a great many orphaned and injured animals; I wouldn't like to impose. I'm just happy knowing he/she is being taken care of.

Latest posts

Back